It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Get Rid of Congressional Republicans
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Nancy Pelosi knows how. You take away some of their perks, make it more difficult to accept bribes, and above all, make them work 5 days a week, and they will quit!

Link: House GOP has reasons to pack it in

House Republicans say there is a growing list of reasons to call for congressional career quits, from tighter travel restrictions to lobby-reform requirements and the likelihood of continuing minority status.

Rep. Ray LaHood (R-Ill.), 61, one of those who announced he’s packing it in, said that the Democrats’ new five-day workweek made traveling back home that much more difficult.

“I do think the schedule and the flying is a huge pain for people, particularly those who are from the Midwest or even further West,” he said, adding that it’s “probably the worst part of the job.”

“I think that has played into these retirement announcements,” said the seven-term congressman from Peoria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Money comes into play, too. “That’s a real issue for a lot of members who are concerned about planning for their own retirement or who may have children who haven’t gone to college yet,” he said.

In 1996, there was no mass exodus of congressional Democrats after the party lost the majority in 1994 following 40 years of dominance, which impressed long-serving Republicans. “We thought there would be [a mass departure], but there wasn’t,” said Republican Rep. Sam Johnson, a nine-term Texan who turns 77 this week. Twenty-eight Democrats and 21 House Republicans left the House in 1996.

This time could be different, he said, citing travel restrictions and lobbying reform. “We’re prevented from having a hamburger with someone,” he said. “You can’t take a private plane anymore. ... I feel for the guys that are way out there” on the West Coast or in the Midwest, said Johnson, who can catch a nonstop flight to Dallas.

Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho) is one of the guys Johnson is feeling for. Simpson, 57, connects through Salt Lake City and often leaves on Sunday to get to Washington on Monday. Getting back home, though, is the real problem.

Recently, the airlines determined that members of Congress could no longer reserve more than one flight at a time. Because the general public can’t do the same thing, the privilege was deemed a gift under the new lobbying reform guidelines.

That makes life tough for people like Simpson, in his fifth term, who rarely knows exactly when the work will end in Washington. “I don’t have a plane going to Idaho every two hours,” he said. “Those flights fill up if I don’t book a week in advance.”

From Shoe's link...

Isn't it just awful for these people? Don't you feel sorry for them?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:57 am 

Quote:
“You can’t take a private plane anymore. ... I feel for the guys that are way out there”

Well, they are all way out there, aren't they?

This is so sad. Not at all like thousands of children without health insurance.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
“You can’t take a private plane anymore.

The private plane that probably belongs to some corporation/persons that wants a favororable vote for their pet project in return!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 am 

I heard an R complaining on the House floor about having to work a five day week.

Doesn't it break your heart...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: broken hearted
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Yes Dora - it absolutely breaks my heart for these poor Republican employees of the citizens.

Of course - I'm speaking of the heart I sit on and it's been cracked nigh onto seventy years plus.

I guess we all are going to have to stop twisting their arms and making them run for the positions they want.

Dee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 pm 
Yes, lets elect more Democrats who will increase our taxes and not do anything about the war in Iraq which so many Democratic voters have gripes with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Seems like the repubs are doing a good job of removing themselves, what with the various sex and unethical gift taking scandals. 8)

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems like the repubs are doing a good job of removing themselves, what with the various sex and unethical gift taking scandals

:thumbleft:

I challenge any Republican to take the time to read all 23 pages of this link:

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1511

Republicans have been asked to prove with cold hard evidence from reliable sources that the information in that link isn't accurate. They seem to avoid that thread like the plague! :twisted:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Macai wrote:
Yes, lets elect more Democrats who will increase our taxes and not do anything about the war in Iraq which so many Democratic voters have gripes with.

Do you make more than $250,000/year? If not, then you have nothing to worry about as far as Democrats raising your taxes.

Also, did you know that the Democrats in Congress have put forth several bills designed to end the war in Iraq, only to be blocked by Republicans in the Senate and the White House? I guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I seem to remember a long time ago a member of that silly little bunch of would-be troublemakers called the PWICS, who posted at another board I was on which is now defunct. This PWIC was always lamenting how the Democrats raised taxes and didn't do anything to prevent wars...yet he sang the praises of GWB and the Repubs! Of course, when he was asked if he was willing to go fight in Bush's war, he didn't have much to say. :roll:

He was branded a member of the Elmer Fudd Society.... because obviously couldn't say PRICK. :lol:

Oh, yes...PWIC also was considered to be an acronym for Pretending W Isn't Crazy.
:lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
I seem to remember a long time ago a member of that silly little bunch of would-be troublemakers called the PWICS, who posted at another board I was on which is now defunct. This PWIC was always lamenting how the Democrats raised taxes and didn't do anything to prevent wars...yet he sang the praises of GWB and the Repubs! Of course, when he was asked if he was willing to go fight in Bush's war, he didn't have much to say. :roll:

He was branded a member of the Elmer Fudd Society.... because obviously couldn't say PRICK. :lol:

Oh, yes...PWIC also was considered to be an acronym for Pretending W Isn't Crazy.
:lol:

Oh yeah, I remember the PWICS. They were a bunch of addled right-wing kids otherwise known as the Protest Warriors. They used to make strange arcane signs and protest in favor of corrupt war profiteers such as Haliburton.

I wonder what ever happened to those pathetic misfits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 pm 
shoeless wrote:
Do you make more than $250,000/year? If not, then you have nothing to worry about as far as Democrats raising your taxes.
Actually, in March, the House Democrats suggested a bill which requires an extra $50 billion. [1] Who do you suppose is going to have to pay this $50 billion? Big business? Rich people? No, try the American middle class.

shoeless wrote:
Also, did you know that the Democrats in Congress have put forth several bills designed to end the war in Iraq, only to be blocked by Republicans in the Senate and the White House? I guess not.
Did you know that you never seem to substantiate your assertions with facts which are based in reality? I guess not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Macai wrote:
Quote:
Actually, in March, the House Democrats suggested a bill which requires an extra $50 billion. [1] Who do you suppose is going to have to pay this $50 billion? Big business? Rich people? No, try the American middle class.

What middle class?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01735.html

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/003538.html

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:26 pm 
sadie53 wrote:
Macai wrote:
Quote:

What middle class?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01735.html

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/003538.html
Right, so lets tax an already-dwindling middle class more than we already do. Great idea.

By the way, great tactic; change the subject. ;)