It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Once again- Proof is obvious- global warming is real
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0125-08.htm
Quote:
Last year was the warmest recorded on Earth's surface, and it was unusually hot in the Arctic, U.S. space agency NASA said on Tuesday.
All five of the hottest years since modern record-keeping began in the 1890s occurred within the last decade, according to analysis by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

In descending order, the years with the highest global average annual temperatures were 2005, 1998, 2002, 2003 and 2004, NASA said in a statement.

"It's fair to say that it probably is the warmest since we have modern meteorological records," said Drew Shindell of the NASA institute in New York City.

"Using indirect measurements that go back farther, I think it's even fair to say that it's the warmest in the last several thousand years."

Some researchers had expected 1998 would be the hottest year on record, notably because a strong El Nino -- a warm-water pattern in the eastern Pacific -- boosted global temperatures.

But Shindell said last year was slightly warmer than 1998, even without any extraordinary weather pattern. Temperatures in the Arctic were unusually warm in 2005, NASA said.

"That very anomalously warm year (1998) has become the norm," Shindell said in a telephone interview.

"The rate of warming has been so rapid that this temperature that we only got when we had a real strong El Nino now has become something that we've gotten without any unusual worldwide weather disturbance."

Over the past 30 years, Earth has warmed by 1.08 degrees F (0.6 degrees C), NASA said. Over the past 100 years, it has warmed by 1.44 degrees F (0.8 degrees C).

Shindell, in line with the view held by most scientists, attributed the rise to emissions of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and ozone, with the burning of fossil fuels being the primary source.

The 21st century could see global temperature increases of 6 to 10 degrees F (3 to 5 degrees C), Shindell said.

"That will really bring us up to the warmest temperatures the world has experienced probably in the last million years," he said.

To understand whether the Earth is cooling or warming, scientists use data from weather stations on land, satellite measurements of sea surface temperature since 1982, and data from ships for earlier years.

More information and images available online.

Global Warming Threatens To Destroy Ocean’s Plankton
Last week, a new study from the University of Amsterdam found global warming is threatening to destroy plankton -- the microscopic plants that maintain all life in the oceans. The study found the plants can be starved of vital nutrients as the world’s ocean temperatures get warmer. It warned the disappearance of the plankton’s nutrients threatened to lead to an increase in the atmospheric carbon dioxide, which is normally removed by the ocean.

Carbon dioxide is already increasing at a phenomenal rate, nearly doubling in the last 100 years. If it doubles again, then ocean currents will be affected, which means a sudden reversal into an ice age may be a result. We need plankton to help reduce it as well as the trees on earth. The links broken at the base could upset the entire balance of species survival, making the moon seem like a less hostile environment.

Plankton is the base of the food chain and is the building block of the oceans food supply. Good bye plankton, goodbye fishies and other swimming creatures. Walking creatures won't be far behind.

If you are afraid of your house burning down or being destroyed by the elements, you can buy smoke and fire detectors, install cement tiles on the roof, attach your foundation and roof trusses to withstand greater winds and earthquakes, reinforce your basement and windows against water penetration, build a bunker to hide from tornados, and raise your house 10 feet in the air if you live in low lying areas.

But you still don't think that's enough. So you buy insurance to safeguard your investments and precautions you paid for.

This is like what we should do with this global warming thing. If you ignore it and pretend it won't get you, then when it does it will be too late. Ask the residents of New Orleans if an ounce of prevention would have saved many pounds of curing- which still hasn't happened. No use hiding behind false reports of it not happening or coming- it is here, it is happening and it is going to get worse. As it sets in quicker and quicker, the # of storms may stay the same but their intensity will increase. Soon no amount of precaution will matter and no amount of money will insure our safety and exclusion from its effects.

Best to act now while we still can.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:51 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

yawn. more liberal propaganda. oooohhh global warming . yea and this winter has more record lows than in recorded history. drop it it's dead propaganda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:08 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well If you're not worried, maybe they'll invent synthetic food for you or perhaps your parents will look good enough to eat. Soylent Green, you know.

Funny how Great Britain has decided to start to research the reality of global warming, but you oh great wise one who gets his info second hand and third rate at best, can't figure it out. face it bucky you're braindead blind and ignorant. What a package.

Hide behind your right wing propaganda fatboy. You've got nothing but 300 pounds to lose off your fat ass anyway. Hope you don't live on the coast somewhere.

the choice chooses them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

January 25, 2005
My Obligatory Global Warming Myth Busting Post
Yikes, Bill goes wildly off course in his update here. Not a big deal. He gets a whole heap of facts wrong but, I'm just not in the mood to even read the whole thing much less reply. So be it. One of the things he gets wrong is that he says I was going to make a global warming post... I offered to if he wanted, I never said I was going to... but what the heck...

Lemme do this in as few words as possible.

Proving that the global warming crowd is wrong is, by definition, impossible without the benefit of decades. Proving a negative always works out that way. But we can look at the theory critically and determine if it is even credible. As soon as I post this, 100 believers will try to play semantical word games... Especially since I'm doing this (again) in as few words as possible, I'm sure someone will have a problem with the way I say something. I challenge them to skip the word games and stick to the larger points.

While it can be expanded for days, the basic "global warming we're all going to die" theory goes like this: We release nasty things like CFCs and CO2 in to the atmosphere. This causes a hole in the ozone layer (and/or acts as a thermal blanket) allowing more radiant energy from the sun to hit the earth causing the earth to warm... which in turn causes any number of scenarios, all of which end with, "and we're all going to die." (nobody said I couldn't have fun with this post.) [yes I know I greatly simplified that-- deal -Ed]

The "evidence," such that it is, can be lumped into 2 broad categories.

1) We are getting warmer than we were a few years decades ago so it is already happening and

2) We can measure the hole in (or the thinning of) the ozone layer and that proves the theory is true.

Additionally, it is ASSUMED that these 2 phenomena are caused by humans. We can't even prove the first 2 much less that we caused it. Let's look at each:

#1) Depending on who you talk to, the earth is about 4.5 BILLION years old. We have reliable temperature data from about the last 200 years. The "believers" routinely compare the temperature today with the temperature just a few decades ago. That is just silly. Even using all 200 years of data we are looking at the last 1/22,500,000th of the history of the planet.

To put that in terms you can wrap your mind around, we just had about 120 million people vote in the last election. Imagine Gallup releasing a poll where they sampled 5 registered voters, all in the same city and called it scientific. They would be laughed at because the sample size was so small.

Yet the environmental crowd expects us to consider the last 20 years of temperature readings important on a planet 4.5 BILLION years old. 20 years would be (statistically) the same as asking 1/2 of 1 person how they were going to vote and from that, predicting a winner.

THEN toss into the mix we know the temperature of the planet has swung wildly thru history and it quickly becomes obvious the people citing this data have a screw lose.

But I'm a generous guy.... I'll give them the point. [Are you out of your mind? Trust me. -ed]

Let's pretend we really can tell something from the fact the average temp raised 0.8 degrees in the last 200 years. AND I'll be even more generous and give them that man did it.... OK, Why did it happen?

Which is more plausible:

The established theory: CFC's (et al) don't destroy ozone at seal level, (or we would not have smog) they magically hold there electron stripping potential till they get to a higher altitude where they strip electrons off ozone and blah blah blah blah blah (there are tons of holes in the theory but I won't even bother poke holes in it now)

OR

Paul's Theory: You know, if we are getting hotter for the last 200 years, it might have something to do with this little thing called "heaters." You know, those things we use to warm us up. Those of you in the Boston area might be familiar with them. To see the effects of man made heat generation, just watch the evening news during the winter. They give one temp in the city and one for the surrounding area which is generally 4 or 5 degrees cooler. Where do you think all that heat goes?

Hundreds of years of us producing heat to keep ourselves warm and produce steam for electricity is far more likely to be the cause of any warming that the nonsense the environmentalists are touting. If we can change the temperature locally by as many of 5 degrees, it is too much to believe that over hundreds of years we can move the average 0.8 degrees? (assuming man is moving the climate which is doubtful)

The environmentalist love to point out that sparsely populated nations have not had as large a temperature increase. DUH! They don't have as many heaters, hot engines, electric generating plants etc etc.

=======

So what have we learned?

First, the data that we have is worthless because the dataset is too small and second, EVEN IF you hold stock in the data, there is a FAR more plausible explanation than the one the environmental community is spreading.

Which brings us to #2.

I so eviscerated #1, I really don't even want to bother with #2. (I'm beat) But I will add this to the mix briefly and expand later if needed.

#2) Much of the ozone data suffers form the same incompleteness as the temperature data, (or worse) we've only measured it for about 20 years. But there is more to be said:

The theory goes that we are "depleting" the ozone layer. I love when people tell me this, I ask them how much ozone we have now and how much we need. It is a great way to make people realize they are arguing from complete ignorance. I literally had a girl one time tell me she thought there was a fixed amount of ozone up there and when we depleted it, we all fried. I disabused her.

Ozone is produced by lighting -- that's what replenished the ozone layer naturally. The theory holds that as the globe warms we get more freak storms. hmmmm More storms means... (say it with me....) more lighting!

So even if we have all these freak storms they will produce more ozone, keeping it in check! Ain't the earth cool?
http://wizbangblog.com/archives/004893.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:10 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Didn't work. Proved nothing . Your cut and paste garbage is all crap.

It's gonna get you, and your job as well. You're going to be poor because of global warming, and hungry too. This is not proof . It is to assuage culpability and is neither here nor there. if this is not a man made phenomenon then we are in deep doggie doodoo. If it is because of man then we are in faster accumulating deeper doggie doodoo. Either way, we're in trouble and should be working for solutions as to where people will be going to get homes, food, land to live in. There is more to this than CFC's and CO2. There is mass extinctions on land, sea and air that will throw us back into the evolutionary factor to replenish the various species that will be wiped out, changing ocean currents and polar icecaps receding faster than ever, that feed the current problem.etc etc.

Admit it, you're one of these right wing religious nuts/fanatics that doesn't care if global warming speeds up the end of the world and a fanatic of wars because it predicts wars at the endtimes, so jebus will hurry up and get here. Be careful WHAT YOU WISH FOR, because many times it doesn't come true and fairy tales like religion spins can be a "wish I never wished for that" scenario, whereas Global warming is all too real and is not about to let up. Too many factors are piling up to reverse it , only time will do that.

If you can't accept the research then you will accept the spin and fantasy world of the neo-con agenda. Besides we're running out of time and natural resources anyway and cannot sustain the level of productivity we have now any way. One way or another, it's over for life on earth as it has been since man took over. Back to the stone age or further seems to be where we're headed. Thanks for caring for Mother Earth so much that you ignore all the signs. What's a mother to do to wake us up.

the choice chooses them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://youtube.com/w/SNL-Global-Warming ... %20warming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 am