It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If the Jets win today...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will be a very happy person of the Jets win today!

Just sharing my thoughts...

:blob:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did they?

Catherine....not a football fan, but respectful of your passion for it. :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:04 am 

Catherine,

The Jet's lost :(

I'm not a big football fan either, but being from NY, I can't help but follow how the NY teams do.

-Eva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My first husband (gag) liked football, and he especially liked the Jets and Joe Namath.

That's not to take anything away from that team...they can't choose their fans :P but I always preferred a good book or a good movie to watching football.

Now, basketball, gymnastics, ice skating, or hockey... I'd watch anytime.

Eva, you're probably too young to remember ABC SPORTS...host Jim McKay... the Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat...those were the good old days of sports programs. Somehow they just don't have the same appeal now that they did then. ABC Sports set the standards for Olympic Games coverage, and then NBC got into the bidding wars when they saw how ABC had made the Games so popular with Americans.

Dick Button as the voice behind the Ice Skating Championships...Button had no equal in that arena.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:52 am 

Catherine,

I do remember ABC Sports host Jim McKay, and I agree with you about Dick Button. Sports programs don't seem to have the appeal that they once did. I don't know if everything became too commercial (money oriented).
I grew up watching tennis, seeing some great matches between Martina Navratalova and Chris Evert, Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe. I even grew to love Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras Now, these new young players just don't have what those earlier players had. I can barely even know who the top players are anymore. With the advancement in how the rackets are made, I never know if their power and skill come from them or from their rackets (though I'll admit, even if I did own one of those rackets, I wouldn't be able to win a match to save my live :D ).
ABC did get me hooked onto the Olympics, but NBC has made them too commercial. I still find myself watching them and I'm a big fan of the winter olympics especially. Most of their coverage though consists of the rags to riches stories of how the athletes got to the Olympics and the history of the city in which the Olympic game is being held in. While I don't mind seeing some of that, it's turned into overkill.

-Eva

Post subject: All I have to say....
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:banghead: Darn Jets!!!

When does baseball start? :sad1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Catherine wrote:
Eva, you're probably too young to remember ABC SPORTS...host Jim McKay... the Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat...those were the good old days of sports programs. Somehow they just don't have the same appeal now that they did then. ABC Sports set the standards for Olympic Games coverage, and then NBC got into the bidding wars when they saw how ABC had made the Games so popular with Americans.

Dick Button as the voice behind the Ice Skating Championships...Button had no equal in that arena.

Catherine

I remember that ABC openning! Remember that that poor skiier who took that fall!!!

I heard someone talking about Dick Button yesterday. They were talking about how he was a skater but skating was very simple when he was incompeting. They waid that he was very harsh with his comments. Funny you mentioned him after I heard that. I have not heard his name in years!

OK...I have to go sleep off the Jets loss. MAN!!! They had the game won!!! Aarggggg!!! :cussing:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I remember that ABC openning! Remember that that poor skiier who took that fall!!!

YES! That fellow got a lot more publicity from the fall than he would've had he completed his run! He DID survive the concussion he suffered.

Dick Button was a simplistic skater compared to the things done on the ice now, but for his day (early 50s) he was a great skater. He knew the sport inside and out, and he could explain the difficult moves of modern skaters in a way that even I could understand when he was the commentator. Later, Peggy Fleming was added to probably add a measure of softness to Button's more critical comments!

Sorry about the Jets' loss, Jesse...oh well...they'll still draw their millions in salaries and go to Disney World... :lol:

Happy Dreams!

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman