It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:09 pm 

Hi J, I just got back online. Was wondering if I would see you.

My bats haven't come back yet. When they do, the outside cats go wild!

More outside cats than ever now that the Animal Shelter will no longer take in strays and strays come here in droves. I don't like the idea of outside cats because I used to love feeding birds. No longer.....

Someone swerved their car and killed my only possum. Broke my heart. They may be ugly, but they sure clean the place up every night. Now I have to go around and clean up the half eaten mice myself and with the amount of flies around, know I am not getting them all. Crows get the ones out by the road, but cats take a lot of territory as their 'dinner table'.

Oh, and I have a groundhog in the basement now too. He dug his way in, (can get out, he is not stuck there), but he is trying to take the basement wall apart so I am not too fond of his actions. Have to go down every day and shoo him away from my walls.

I will be waiting for those new pictures of your bats. Those last ones were beauties!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am 

Well, Dori, sounds like you have your share of pets there.

I hope I can get those new bat photos.....the Soccer WorldCup is on. Half the country is "on the ball". Remember I live in Germany, where the WorldCup is being held. It starts TODAY !! And I'm a soccer fan.

I'm also a big bat fan and if my cat doesn't stop going up on the roof to take swipes at them, I just don't know what to do but maybe ground her.

Nice to seeya again,

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:32 pm 

Hope whatever team you are pulling for wins. But the thrill is in the game, eh?

And, hope you do get those pictures of the bats. The last ones were GREAT!

And yes, I do have a LOT of animals here--just miss my possum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:25 pm 

This years bats are very camera shy....or I'm not as awake as I was last year !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:14 am 

Ah, it was that Soccer World Cup. Tired eyes. World Series does that for me.

Hope you get a chance to at least see your bats soon. At least you would know they are alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have so many birds this year! AND squirrels! I'm replacing all of the regular old bird feeders with the green ones that are (at last) squirrel proof, as I can afford to...they're pretty expensive but when I think of all the bird food that has been scattered on the ground thanks to the fat squirrels' breaking the feeders, I figure I'll save money in the long run, AND have even more birds. We put up a Martin house this year, but no tenants arrived. I think we got it up too late.

The squirrels get ears of dried corn, put out on special holders, but they're greedy and growing too fat. I call them my Neocon Politician Squirrels. I may put them on rations...one ear a week! 8)

The little cat whose story started this thread is still with us. We named him Mozzy, and he's a great personality. We love him dearly. He's very healthy, too, as the vet ascertained on Friday.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:21 am 

I envy you. Can't feed birds anymore--not with all the strays here now. I used to love feeding them winter and summer.

There are mulberry trees out back that attrack birds for most of the summer anyway. I try to keep the lower branches cleared of berrys to keep the birds up away from those darn cats but it is amazing how high a cat can jump. (They are darn cats when they catch birds...)

Martin houses sometimes have to be in place for a couple of years before they are used by the martins. Even birds have their quirks.

Good that your stray is such a great cat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't had any trouble with strays so far this year...(knock on wood.)

Most of the people in my immediate neighborhood keep their cats close to home if they have any. I've had to shoo some dogs off the hill recently, but they usually run the moment I open the door. My cats have caught a few of the birds, never eating them, but instead leaving them as a "gift," usually on the mat outside the back door. But for the most part, they just lie on one of the decks and watch the birds. They're very lazy, and if I see either of the four stalking a bird, I give him a good scolding and take him inside, which none of them prefer now that the weather is so warm.

I have a few mocking birds and blue jays that give the cats a really hard time! :lol: Those birds will attack the cats, "dive-bombing" them when given the least opportunity. It's very funny to watch. The cats will hunker down and then slink to the first place they can find to hide.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with stray cats, dori. Can you call your humane society?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Feed the strays and make them fat. I had a friend with the same problem so he just put out food with cooking oil in it so they'd get fat and couldnt chase the birds. But he only had about 3 strays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:38 am 

The Animal Shelter here is run by Hagar the Horrible. She hates cats and wants only dogs brought to the shelter. She went up one side of me and down the other when I tried to get her to take a cat this year.

Strange because the only ones I have taken over are kittens, sweet, cuddly kittens. The strays now are adult cats used to living on their own and not happy about having other cats around.

I feed the strays about 10 to 20 feet away from my own cats so everyone gets to eat. Never thought to put cooking oil in their food--will see if that helps. I have some butter left over from when I used it to feed woodpeckers, I will start with that. Fat, lazy cats sound really good to me!

Thanks for the advice. I would love to worry less about that mix out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I dont know if it will kill them though. I imagine its not healthy. But makes sense. Fat lazy cats are funny though. Reminds me of Garfield. The strays around my house always bring me the moles and mice. Hey I reward for good work! I just wish they would eat them. Nope they use them as toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:15 am 

My possum used to clean up all the cat leftovers. Someone swerved TO KILL my possum though, so now I have creamation services when I can.

Gee, I miss that possum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:13 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

justinmoon22 wrote:
I dont know if it will kill them though. I imagine its not healthy. But makes sense. Fat lazy cats are funny though. Reminds me of Garfield. The strays around my house always bring me the moles and mice. Hey I reward for good work! I just wish they would eat them. Nope they use them as toys.

I have a cat who takes care of the mice and the chipmonks in our neighborhood. He brings them to the back door as a gift, but since I won't accept his largess, he always eats them. Unfortunately, he leaves the intestines there for me to clean up.

Fortunately, he has no interest in birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:02 am 

Quote:
Fortunately, he has no interest in birds.

Where can I get some of THOSE?