It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the meaning of conservative and liberal?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:52 pm 

Please all of you who are quick to label people just because they are part of a particuliar political party. What is liberal thought, What is conservative thought. I have my own world view. Keep all the hatred and diatribes to a minimun and list what beliefs are pertinent. After all, half of the people voted for Bush and not all arel 'in the oil business' with big money and the half that voted for Kerry are not all tree hugger types. This ought to be good.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Josef...I agree with you up to a point.

Right now, we're still pretty divided as a nation. Those of us who voted for Kerry are in mourning, literally. We find it utterly amazing that Bush is going to be the President for four more years after all of the lies he's told, his ignorance, his poor showing in the three debates, his inability to communicate, Farenheit 9/11, all of the books written about the man, his taking the Fortunate Son route away from Vietnam service, the Halliburton revelations, his tax cuts for the wealthy while he has created the largest fiscal deficit in the nation's history...the list goes on and on.

We were defeated by millions of people voting with their emotions instead of the reality of issues. These emotions had been stirred from thousands of pulpits of this nation about gays and how they were going to "ruin" the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. (ummmmm..wonder what they call a divorce or adultery or all of the other things that cause a man and a woman to dissolve their marriage!)

The other emotional aspect they voted with was the gun issue. Regardless of John Kerry saying time and time again that he had no intention of taking away gun rights, they believed it when the Republicans said Kerry "will take your guns."

And always, hovering there in the background...abortion. Think...The Iraqi war has taken hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives...men, women, and children. `1,000+ American lives, and counting...were these people less important than a fetus? Why does a fetus have more rights to a future than these living, breathing people had?

When it comes to voting for a politician because he says he's anti-abortion, yet the lies he's told result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, it makes no sense to me. None at all. Every life is precious, but a woman should always be in charge of her own reproductive processes. Yes, it takes two to tango, and the male should be just as responsible. Abortion as birth control isn't an option in my book, but abortion as a choice is essential to our remaining a free society. Otherwise, we're teetering on the brink of a theocracy.

Bush made choices when he lied to start a war. Why should a woman have anything less when it comes to becoming a mother or not?

The other thing that really irks me is the sense that we aren't Americans anymore..we're Left or Right...we aren't the United States anymore..we're Red or Blue. If Bush can bring us back together after pushing us apart so far, I will applaud him, but I won't forgive him. It took many years for the healing to occur after the Civil War..in some parts of our nation, it's still being fought!

I don't think Bush is up to the task of correcting what he has wrought. Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together again, completely. It will take years to overcome the division that is present in our nation and his second term won't even make a start towards overcoming what his first term did to us as a people.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:22 pm 

Not sure where you fit on the political map? Take
The World's Smallest Political Quiz now and find
out ... click here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:18 am 
Catharine,

I am so sorry about cracking on you. I thought you were a flaming liberal. I had no Idea that you just a retired teacher. The teachers union has been pulling your strings for years and they told you to screw my kids up and indoctrinate them in to your liberal crap. I also have a degree in liberal arts ......as you can see it didn't take. You just keep pushing your liberal agenda on my kids and I will keep enrolling them in Christian schools or home schools. Thanks for nothing........Oh and feel free to correct my grammar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:36 am 
...The Iraqi war has taken hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives...men, women, and children. `1,000+ American lives, and counting...were these people less important than a fetus.

You are right .....We lost 1200 and they lost hundreds of thouands....Would you like to know why? Technology and body Armor.

We like the war.........stick to what you like Peacemonkey!!!!!

Marine Sniper ....you can run, but you will only die tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:15 pm 

The world according to Halliburton: An interactive look at Halliburton's reach around the globe from Mother Jones.

Quote:
Halliburton has been enjoying a good couple of years. Since September 11, the Bush administration has awarded the world's second-largest oil-services company at least $2.2 billion in defense-related business, mostly to support military operations overseas. The firm also receives generous federal subsidies for some of its most lucrative pipeline projects. The tax dollars couldn't come at a better time for Halliburton: Its share price has collapsed under the weight of asbestos lawsuits, a federal investigation into its accounting practices, and a drop in oil prices. But thanks in part to all the government business, the company maintains offices in 70 countries and enjoys annual revenues of $12.6 billion. Here's a look at where U.S. taxpayers foot the bill for the firm's far-flung empire--and where Halliburton has set up subsidiaries that are exempt from paying U.S. taxes.

Continue...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:21 pm 
Involved
Involved

EvilPoet wrote:
Not sure where you fit on the political map? Take
The World's Smallest Political Quiz now and find
out ... click here

That was fun, I had to answer Maybe to a few because they were very conditional and vague, that's why it's the smallest quiz though :)

ACCORDING TO YOUR ANSWERS,
The political description that fits you best is...

CENTRIST

CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice. Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind, tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 70%.
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 50%.

Nailed me, seriously.

I'm directly on the Libertarian and Liberal line in the middle, so yeah 20% off from being completely in the middle. I wouldn't mind being called a leftie, but the democrats aren't pleasing me. So Lieberman and Clinton voted for Rice hmmm, any room for Bill in bed?
I guess my tendencies to oppose political extremes are kicking in :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:50 pm 
Involved
Involved

The words mean what they mean, it's also possible to be both and not have to be one or the other as politics suggest.

Besides, the Republicans that have been running office are not conservative of the most important things, like mercy and economy. The only traditional values they hold dear are those of tyrants that ruled over an uninformed and ideally unarmed populace with a superior military, basically the past leaders that were on a regional or global conquest.

The majority of the spotlight Democrats, if not the whole, are as liberal as Karl Rove. Unless progressive thinking means supporting throwing the foundation and honor of the country and it's military into the world's largest toilet. The only ones i'm proud of are Boxer, Reid, and few others.

Look at the dividing terms;
    liberal/conservative
    liberal left/religious right
    lib-dim/neo-con
    blue/red
    urban/rural

I'm sure you can think of a few more.

All the popular terms and descriptors aid in a form of political, moral and religious segregation. The more of them the more they're heard, the more they're heard especially ones that are meant to be spiteful or offensive, the more divided we become. Disabling or at least hindering an opposition from a rallied and truly united force if something were to occur, like civil or political war.
Does anybody believe that elections would be nearly 50/50 two elections in a row, if people understood what it was they're voting for? Both political parties are prepackaged, heat and serve.
Liberal medias ask "Where's the outrage??", it's lost somewhere in this segregation process. Once the public realizes they have been duped and did not get what's inside the box, we will be on a better path for the future and so will many others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Liberal medias ask "Where's the outrage??", it's lost somewhere in this segregation process. Once the public realizes they have been duped and did not get what's inside the box, we will be on a better path for the future and so will many others.

Excellent point, Riot...when I took the test, I was surprised that I wasn't smack in the middle of Liberalville....but I wasn't. I just leaned more towards the left than towards the right.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:49 pm 

Please tell me where liberal media is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I know, dori, there's not a "liberal media" in the regular lineup of network news. We sometimes make sarcastic references to it because we liberals know the media is increasingly biased in favor of the Bushies.

At least that's how I understand it. I could be totally wrong, too! :D

Riot or Jesse will explain it to us, I'm sure! :wink:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:46 pm 

The town supervisor that I USED to work for explains it all the time. ALL media is liberal.

She listens to Fox all the time, and says it is liberal.

How do you talk with someone who thinks this way?

Oh, yeah, Jesse and Riot will explain that, won't they... And they will continue to see things their way, and I will continue to see them my way.

We are a horribly divided nation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Fox News watchers and believers are some of the most ignorant and unenlightened people in the world, dori. I wish I had a link to support that statement, and I'm sure there is one, but I don't right now. If the news media were liberal, I doubt if GWB could've stolen another election. If the news media were liberal, we would be watching an investigation into the Bush White House and Dick Cheney's ties with Halliburton. The president would be hounded by reporters asking him tough questions like Sam Donaldson used to ask Reagon, and the lies of this president would be under investigation, too. The news media would be reporting the truth about Social Security and what's actually happening in Iraq.

No, one of the reasons we're at war right now is the BIASED MEDIA.

Jesse and Riot are on our side. Since Jesse founded this site, I figured he'd have a much better answer than I could come up with because he sees what's not reported every day.

Have you taken a look at the news links for TVNL?

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:54 pm 

I remember Jesse's post about starting this site. Great sense of humor. And I like the idea of doing something rather than being a sponge for the propaganda that comes out of media.

I have not checked the links--will do that when I come back.

Right now I am going to watch "Control Room" about Al Jazeera. It is on Sundance at noon Eastern time. I have ten minutes to get it tuned in and hope to be able to watch it--I seldom watch TV but there are times when it can be quite informative. Will have to work on something like coupons while it is on--that takes a while and isn't wasting time.

Should hear more abut neocons on "Control Room".