All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Fido or Fluffy Left Behind
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:D

No Fido or Fluffy left behind
Louisiana develops animal evacuation plans for hurricanes

Monday, July 17, 2006; Posted: 8:27 p.m. EDT (00:27 GMT)

After Katrina, some pet owners risked their lives when they weren't allowed to evacuate with their pets. SPECIAL REPORT

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (AP) -- A statewide plan to evacuate pets during hurricanes is being worked out by state and local officials, who are required to map the procedures under a new law enacted to avoid the problems that erupted after Hurricane Katrina struck.

The law applies to cats, dogs and other domesticated animals.

"I am greatly worried about the evacuation of pets from New Orleans," said Laura Maloney, executive director of the Louisiana branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. "We have many unfilled needs. We have lots of shortages."

The law was prompted by pet evacuation problems during and after Katrina that resulted in the deaths or abandonment of thousands of cats and dogs. In some cases, pet owners endangered their own lives by refusing to abandon their animals.

The law requires the governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness and their local counterparts to devise humane ways to evacuate and shelter cats and dogs during hurricanes. Service animals such as guide dogs are supposed to be evacuated with their owners. Household pets in carriers and cages will be allowed on public transportation if they do not endanger people.

State and local emergency officials are supposed to find animal shelters and draft regulations as well as set up an identification system so pets can be reunited with their owners should they become separated during storms.

Maloney said that, unlike last year before Katrina struck, pet owners will know where to find evacuation shelters.

State agriculture officials have asked operators of animal shelters, humane societies, veterinary offices, kennels, grooming facilities and other sites to provide copies of their evacuation plans by July 31 so they can be made public.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/17/bc.na. ... index.html

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:54 am 

Pet shelters are certainly needed. I hope this will help. I know I wouldn't want to leave my pets, just as the people of NO didn't want to leave theirs. There are such horror stories there...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would not leave my cats, no way. I'd just stay with them, and take my chances. A friend of mine who lives in NO took his cat with him when he evacuated. He said he and his partner slept in their car once they crossed the Texas border. He said he'd never leave his pets, and I'm so glad so many of the New Orleans people, those people Barbara Bush said were just "used" to conditions like post-Katrina, were much more compassionate than that alien she gave birth to which is right now muddying up our White House.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:03 pm 

You mean that fine specimen that couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it?

There are so many 'happy stories' of pets that have been adopted by new families. I can't help but feel for their old families and their old lives.

But then, some of the children that were taken away from their parents during the disaster have not been returned to their families. Don't hear much about that on the news either.

Let's face it, America is NOT prepared for any disaster beyond Bush and Chaney having their bunkers. I guess that is supposed to be enough for us little people, eh?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid