It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big black cat has "picked" me and my house to live
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 am 

I have a cat (who is deaf) that lives inside, as well as a dog who is going on 13 years old and has a respitory disease...anyway, my animals are very special and because Katie is deaf and Lady so old, there is no way I am going to introduce a full grown (non-neutered) male cat into my house. So I have let him stay out side, which he seems perfectly happy with (I have a big porch and 2 car garage that he has claimed). I feed him and keep him in water, he's taken over a chair...very happy, it appears, he runs off unwanted things (like bugs). But here are the things he's done that are unacceptable and downright upsetting to me.
1st incident: he brought me a screaming baby bunny. (I have a little garden and happily share with my bunny family--this baby was from that family). When I tried to save the bunny, the cat killed it immediately and took it on top of my car to eat it. I cannot tell you on how many levels this disturbed me. Plus, my 5 year old saw some of this happening (he, by the way, says he hates the cat now because he killed the bunny).

2nd incident: He "wants" my inside cat. She is deaf, as I have mentioned, and was also run over when she was a tiny kitten, so she has several different things that have made the vet suggest NOT spaying her...anyway. Mr. outside kitty has destroyed the screens on the windows leading to my front porch...chewed them away in an attempt to get inside.

3rd (and by far worse) incident: About a week ago, I left ONE window on my car down about 4 inches, just forgot it was open when I turned the car off. Well, sweet kitty brought me another animal, killed it in the backseat of my car (where he also clearly ate it). Then sprayed/peed on every surface of the car he possibly could, threw up several huge and disgusting hairballs...needless to say. I spent about 5 hours on Friday shampooing and disinfecting, removing animal pieces, blood, had to throw away my America book and a book I've just finished reading about Freud (I love books, so throwing those away was nearly as bad as the damage to my car). Anyway, a week later and much elbow grease and my car still smells when you open the doors.

Ok, the cat is sweet, I know he's bringing the animals as a way to provide for me. He's very affectionate, a super bug stopper...tons of great things. But these bad behavior issues are starting to weigh on me. My bf says call the shelter, I say no way, because they kill within 5 days...anyhow, any suggestions? Ideas? Anyone want a long hair black cat with an affinity for peeing on car seats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're going to keep him, lefty, first thing is to have him neutered. That will stop or at least minimize a few of the aggressive behaviors he's displaying.

The rabbit incident is this cat's continuing survival instincts coming into play. He's not forgotten what he had to do to live before coming to your house, and that is to catch small animals for food. While he probably intended the rabbit as a gift to you originally, when you reacted in a negative way, he went into survival mode and ate it.

I'm telling you all of this because the cat is demonstrating so many of the same actions my Saber did when he showed up at my house two years ago. Adult male, not neutered....it's uncanny how Saber did the exact same things, including catching and eating a baby rabbit, peeing in my husband's company vehicle, and agressive behavior towards Molly, my female Himalayan. However, after I took him to the vet for the necessary treatment, he settled right down. My husband wasn't happy with having to clean up his company vehicle, but he understood that Saber was being a male feline. ( at http://www.drleonards.com you can order URINE GONE, a stain and odor eliminator for pet/people accidents. I'm expecting an order of that stuff to arrive any day. I keep it around for times when one of the three male cats I have decides he's just got to be the alpha male! Almost everything in my house can be scrubbed, so that is a great help.)

The vet told me., though, to watch out for Saber's marking his territory because of his being an adult when he was neutered. He does that...outside. Inside, he usually uses the litter box. I've caught him spraying a couple of times, scolded him, and put him in a time-out (with a litter box) for a couple of hours. He gets a treat when he uses the litter box. Behavior modification takes awhile, but it's worked out pretty well for us.

These links on cat behavior might help you, lefty. He sounds like he's just needing a good home with some patient owners. Over time, he might improve...good luck to you and to the cat.

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/Poin ... avior.html

http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/cat_library/index.shtml

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Catherine on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:15 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

1)Don't leave your windows open
2) get him neutered or
3)drive him many miles away to another town and forget to bring him home.

He will do fine without you. He is a survivor. He probably has 3 places on the go feeding him. He is claiming his territory and the rights to your females. It is his instinctive prerogative.

Sorry, this is hard but must be done.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:51 pm 

Leaving the window open was stupid, I realize this in hindsight. Otherwise though, I am going to "keep" him. I called the vet and its going to cost $165 to get him neutered, so I will save towards that.

Thanks for the advice about the urine remover. I'm going to order some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

lefty, click on the website addy for the urine remover now. It should come up with the right place. Sorry...I'd inserted a period where it shouldn't have gone and it took me to a photographer's website! :roll:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:45 pm 

And pictures of adorable cats are fun!

I have quite a time with stray cats. I have seven cats that came as strays, but many more have gone to cat heaven. It is very hard, but when a cat decides it is the boss and attacks not only your animals but you too, there is no other choice.

At least I know the cat is not starving or having to deal with other aggressive cats. It breaks my heart that people care so little about companion animals.

I just wish someone had not killed my possum.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

uh oh...another black cat taken in?? sounds like an epidemic.

bewarned: they are the devil in disguise! we took in a "poor little kitten" that is all black....and he's worse than having a 2 year old around the house...nothing, and i can't emphasize that enough...is safe from his curiosity.

but, as much as i might complain...he's got a cool side to him too and there are times when he's actually lovable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 pm 

I understand Dori. I am the same way. An animal picks me and I let them in. Its my job. He was clearly someone's cat, when he got here he had a collar and a flea collar on. I live on a street with only about 7 homes, and I asked everyone if they knew who's he was...no one did. His arrival coincided with a neighbor's leaving though, so I often wonder if they just left him.

Aside from the spraying and killing and all, he's very lovable and sweet and protects me from all the many bugs that come on the porch.

I used to have two armadillos who lived in my back yard. They were the neatest things, only came out at night and never hurt any of my stuff. My son called them pigs! (Sorta looked like a pig to a two year old!) Anyhow, a neighbor caught them and I chose not to know what he did to them, but they are gone now.

I'm sorry about your possum, pretty crappy when people kill animals for no good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:47 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I really think animals have a way of letting each other know where to go in a time of need. I used to think there was a sign somewhere in my yard that read, "All strays welcome". They just know somehow.

Look at all of us BIG BAD LIBERALS. Just listen to us talk about our animals. Maybe that is why we care about the poor, the underdogs, the elderly, animal cruelty, heck - we don't even want to see a tree killed unless it is necessary. And the other side has worked so hard to paint us as evil. We are a bunch of soft lovable huggy teddy bears, but don't tick us off or back us in a corner! :angryfire:

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:29 am 

Thanks lefty. I don't know what armadillos do, but possum clean up the yard. After mine was killed, slugs decided to take over. Possum keep the slugs down (no pun intended), plus attack the fly problem by cleaning up all the half eaten critters my cats leave. They even eat moles.

I sure miss him/her.

Yes, sadie, we big bad liberals are scary, aren't we! As you say, we don't even want a tree cut down unless it has to be.

Liberals.

As Garfield would say, BOOGA, BOOGA!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lefty...how are things going with the CAT?

(One of the books I read aloud to my students was entitled "The Cat and Mrs. Cary." The story centered around a widow who had moved into an old house beside the sea. The cat came with the house. In the first chapter, the widow discovered that she could understand the cat's language. They carried on conversations while those within hearing thought the widow was crazy. The widow called the cat THE CAT. The book is probably out of print now, and I'm so glad I have a copy.)

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:23 am 

HA! We call him "The Cat" as well. He's being a bit better behaved now. He's really a very affectionate cat. No marking anything lately either. I guess he was testing me. Maybe I passed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you understand what he's saying to you yet? Actually, I think you understood him pretty well when he first arrived.

May your good luck continue! In the story I told you about, The Cat had belonged to the original owner of the house, who was involved with smuggling. The Cat makes sure the new owner finds the secret room where the smuggler had hidden a treasure before her sudden death.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:47 am 

Sounds like a book I would like Catherine. I can imagine the children loving it!

Lefty, have you checked with the local shelters or animal control officers to see if there are any programs to help with the expense of neutering? We have that here, and we are certainly not a progressive area! See if you can find a place where help is available. After all, you are taking care of an animal that would be on the streets without you.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice, dori! That goes on here, too. You go to the animal shelter, tell them that you're "harboring" a stray, and ask for a certificate of authorization (or something like that) and they'll tell you which vets honor them..most do.

We've really made progress here. Now our animal shelter has a small clinic with a vet right on the premises who does spaying and neutering certain days of the week. He moved here after he retired, and he's been absolutely wonderful.

We also have the program that takes puppies and small dogs to the New England region, mainly CT. For $20, I can sponsor a dog's ride to a new life. They're rapidly adopted up there. I've sponsored several dogs in honor of friends and family instead of buying gifts.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman