It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
If they were drafted then I might agree with you, but, each person serving in the military now is there by choice. No body force them to go in. The military offered them schooling, training and in some cases a college education. Then when it came time to pay back what they had received some of them want no part of it.

I think it's very unfortunate that the military members are recruited on promises. The recruiters promise those young people the pie in the sky, and lots of those would-be recruits are poor, unhappy with their lives because they've been poor all their lives, and can't hope for a college education otherwise. When a teenager looks at the list of "positives" that the recruiters offer them, I'm sure it's very tempting. I've seen those lists, one from the Army and one from the Navy.

What the recruiters don't tell them is that they have to serve Uncle Sam and that Uncle Sam owns them until their enlistment time is up. That time might include going to Iraq and dying before they've ever set foot on a college campus.

One of my sons served four years in the Army. He could've gone on to college, but he wanted to "see the world" and felt that he'd be more ready to settle down to college work after he'd served a stint. He was discharged just before Iraq blew up. He really feels a lot of disdain for recruiters because he says they lie, and lie, and lie some more. My other son is making a career with the Coast Guard. He loves it...doesn't like Vermont, his present duty station, but he loves the Coast Guard.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
One of my sons served four years in the Army. He could've gone on to college, but he wanted to "see the world" and felt that he'd be more ready to settle down to college work after he'd served a stint. He was discharged just before Iraq blew up. He really feels a lot of disdain for recruiters because he says they lie, and lie, and lie some more. My other son is making a career with the Coast Guard. He loves it...doesn't like Vermont, his present duty station, but he loves the Coast Guard.

Cat I would agree with what you said but for one thing. No matter what the recruiter said, the final descion is theirs. I don't agree with the war either, but, if I was still in the service I would hope that I would do the right thing.

Might I ask what promises were made to your son and were any of them kept?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Might I ask what promises were made to your son and were any of them kept?

I'd tell you if I knew, DK...he never shared that with me. He flatly refused to tell me what had happened to him that made him so bitter. He made two rotations to Kuwait, and came back very disillusioned with Army life after the second rotation.

His $12,000 he supposedly was to receive has not been tapped because he's enjoying being a policeman in a small town in Texas. I'm sure that if he doesn't apply for it in a couple of years, he'll lose it...but he's 26, married, and seems to be happy. If he's satisfied, I am.

AND yes...recruiters only promise. It's up to the individual whether or not to enlist...I completely agree.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Your son receives kudos from me. Not only for his service to the country but, for being a police officer. I spent almost 15 years as a Military Policeman and then worked the desk of a small southern town. Until I became disillusioned with the outright racism there. I left and have not looked back since.

I lived in a small town in Texas and loved it. I was living in Victoria when I meet my wife. Great state.

As far as the rest. I retired in 84 and then was called back for Desert Storm. I went back in with very little of the attitude that I had for the other 17 or so years. I questioned authority, wanted to know why I had to make the troops do something and hated to run. I used to tell my commander if I needed to run there it must be important so I was going to drive. LOL

I volunteered for Vietnam twice, not because I thought the war was right or wrong, I just felt like it was the right thing to do. I never served there as the military found other things for me to occupy my time with. I lost friends there and feel the country let them down by pulling out when it did. But the politicians were fighting the war and not letting the military do what it is trained to do. Just like this war. Bush and company refuse to admit there is a problem there and send in more troops to stop what is happening.

Young men and woman are dying for what? The country is not even capable or wanting to protect itself and when children start blowing themselves up for the "cause" there is no hope.

With the death toll rising on both sides, I don't know what to think. I want our troops home, but, I don't want them to have died in vain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Do you then agree with what Bush did, by going AWOL or would you have rather he say

"I am against this war and refuse to fight?"

I would have much more respect for him if he had said he was against the war and refused to fight than to "pretend" he was in the military when he actually was AWOL.

Quote:
If they were drafted then I might agree with you, but, each person serving in the military now is there by choice. No body force them to go in. The military offered them schooling, training and in some cases a college education. Then when it came time to pay back what they had received some of them want no part of it.

I think there is a difference when you truly believe in what you are signing up for and then finding out you have been lied to and it is not really a war but someone's idea of cowboys and Indians and you are one of the pawns. I don't think they are cowards. I think they really want no part of what is taking place in the Middle East.

My son tried to get into the Air Force. He needed a job because he was just out of high school and had a baby. He wanted to further his education and was going to go into the military for 4-6 years then go to college. Because of an accident in his teens he does not have full use of his left hand (has about 75% capability). He was a goalie in high school and no one could ever tell anything was wrong with his hand. His best friend was accepted and they kept my son waiting for several weeks. When he finally got the news he had not been accepted he was devastated. They said it was because of the hand.

Once we invaded Iraq he got a phone call. He was accepted after all! By then he was married, had a job, and a second child. He just laughed at them. I thank God everyday he was NOT accepted when he wanted to join.

His best friend is almost finished with his second enlistment. Loved Bush went he went in for the second time - hates him and wants out NOW. He is scared he is going to be sent to Iraq and will not be allowed to leave when his time is up. He has a 6 month old baby.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:06 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I applaud your son for wanting to go and I also applaud him for saying no the second time.

I will pray for your sons friend and hope that he returns home safely to his wife and child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

funny how some things never change... no not laughingly funny... funny as in, curious...

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."
~~ Henry Kissinger

When I enlisted in July of '66, I was told by my recruiter that, with my test scores, I could have any job in the Air Force I wanted... so in Basic Training, I applied for both the Electronics and Interpreter Tech Schools and surprize surprize... got neither... so my second suggestion to any kid considering entering the service...

Get It In Writing!

my first? don't DU it...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Your right about getting it in writting. If they won't do that, walk out the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:01 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Quote:
which branch? passes a brewski to dk...

Takes a big swig and says aaaaaah thanks. Army here and you?

From some of your comments I think you understand what I am talking about..

Air Force... enlisted in 1966, volunteered for Viet Nam in 1967... and no surprize at all to moi, went...

and yes, I DO understand...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates