It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torture is for COWARDS...STUPID COWARDS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Torture Is For Cowards ... Stupid Cowards

by RJ Eskow | Sep 20 2006 -

Here's where the Republican Party has brought the United States: We are being lectured on the immorality of torture by Uganda. And rightfully so. The nation that was once the most brutal torture capital in the world has changed - and sadly, so have we.

I'm pleased that three GOP Senators and an ex-Secretary of State appear to have had enough - although that one's still in play.

After all, how do you "negotiate" the allowable limits of torture in a civilized society? The very idea disgraces us. And McCain caved on the torture issue when he had a real card to play -- in the 2004 election. But let's hope they come through this time, for their country's sake.

Here's what our leaders are telling us: We're afraid. We know we're not very good at national security. We've read the reports that say our airports, power plants, and ports are no safer than they were on 9/11. We don't know how to win wars and protect our homeland the American way, so we need to cheat. We need to jettison the values that make us Americans.

We can't protect America and preserve the values that make it America. That's what the Republicans are saying.

Their consigliere is Alan Dershowitz. A year ago, his briefs for torture were the extremist sentiments of a fringe thinker. Now his point of view, which is that the rules for torture should be codified into statutes, is about to become American law.

LINK

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:07 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Make no mistake about it, once a government decides it is acceptable to torture "enemies", it will not be longer before they find it accpetable to torture their own people. None will be safe. It is the mentality of the State Machine to protect itself above the People. Take for instance the Patriot Act or the Real ID Act, such legislation is nothing more than Law intended to protect the State Machine and not the People.

The time is coming when the People will be forced to decide just how much they are willing to subject themselves to by the State.

The day is coming when we will all either be Enemies of The State or Collaborators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I agree and I cannot believe there are not more standing up and saying enough is enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
The time is coming when the People will be forced to decide just how much they are willing to subject themselves to by the State.

for some of us that day has already arrived....for others...it's just a matter of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
for some of us that day has already arrived

My friend you may think it has, but, in reality, it has not yet.