It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Three Cars Emit 230 Mln Tons of Greenhouse Gas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:39 am 

http://michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/index.php?id=7366

June 28th, 2006

Big Three Cars Emit 230 Mln Tons of Greenhouse Gas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cars built by the Big Three automakers gave off 230 million metric tons of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide in the United States in a year, more than the biggest U.S. electric utility, environmental researchers said on Wednesday.

General Motors (GM.N), Ford (F.N) and DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE) cars and light trucks emitted nearly three-fourths of all carbon dioxide from vehicles on U.S. roads in 2004, the year for which statistics were available, according to the watchdog group Environmental Defense.

Nine other car manufacturers with vehicles on the U.S. market accounted for an additional 84 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, bringing the total for all cars and light trucks in operation in 2004 to 314 million metric tons, the report found.

General Motors vehicles gave off 99 million metric tons or 31 percent of the total; Ford vehicles emitted 80 million metric tons or 25 percent and DaimlerChrysler vehicles emitted 51 million metric tons or 16 percent, according to the report.Electric Power (AEP.N), had emissions of 41 million metric tons.

Greenhouse gases, notably carbon dioxide, contribute to global warming, which in turn has been blamed for more severe hurricanes, rising seas and other environmental ills. Though greenhouse gas emissions have most frequently been associated with coal-fired power plants, the new report aims to point up comparable emissions from automobiles.

``The image of the power plant, with a smokestack and stuff billowing out of it, creates that sense of a lot of pollution in one place,'' John DeCicco, co-author of the report, said by telephone. ``People don't necessarily understand that the millions of vehicles are part of the problem that is a really comparable scale.''

He stressed a shared responsibility among consumers, auto manufacturers and policy makers.

``It's hard to pin just on General Motors the responsibility for that 20-year-old Chevy that's putting carbon up into the air,'' DeCicco said.

With just 5 percent of the world's population, the United States has 30 percent of the world's automobiles and produces 45 percent of the world's automotive carbon dioxide emissions, the report said. U.S. cars are driven more and burn more fuel per mile than the international average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:43 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Did Michael Moore write this article?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why do you want to know? Perhaps you should go to the link dori provided and ask that question at that website.

Whether Michael Moore or one of his assistants writes the material found at his website is immaterial to most of us here at TVNL.

Why? Because we know that Michael Moore and/or those who might work for him are voices of reason and truth in a jungle of msm half-truths, outright lies, distortions, and other forms of propaganda.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:48 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Well, I have noticed that if someone on here posts links or quotes articles differing from the general opinion of this forum then they are called names, belittled, etc and the author of the aforementioned link/article is called out as contributing to the Bush campaign/conservative neocon/etc. Wouldn't it be plausible to use this same tactic, if you will, on Michael Moore and discredit his article or an article on his website and call him out as contributing to the Kerry/Clinton campaign/liberal wacko/etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:51 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Another thing.....the article is from Reuters. Now I'm not up on the media stuff, but isn't that one of the evil corporate media outlets that most everyone on here claims should be avoided? Or is it that if Michael Moore says it's okay, then it must be okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
if you will, on Michael Moore and discredit his article or an article on his website and call him out as contributing to the Kerry/Clinton campaign/liberal wacko/etc?

After you've gone to Michael Moore's website and done just that, please report back and let us know how you fared.

FYI, we aren't MM's website. :!:

As to your comment about Reuters, it's a rather large conglomerate of newspapers. http://today.reuters.com/HelpAndInfo/Pa ... apers.aspx

You will note that these newspapers carry a lot of different news, sources, opinions, etc. If you go to the TVNL Current News page, http://www.tvnewslies.org/news/ you will see that we link to a large variety of news sources. You will also note that there are often comments made by the TVNL editor as well.

Please stay on the topic, which is auto emissions, not Michael Moore or Reuters.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 am 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

You missed my point or misunderstood my point, but I'll post in another area, since it is not about auto emissions. Anybody know what kind of market share the "big three" enjoy in the U.S? I think that would be an important fact to know before just blaming them for the most emissions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point, kmac...

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

kmac wrote:
You missed my point or misunderstood my point, but I'll post in another area, since it is not about auto emissions. Anybody know what kind of market share the "big three" enjoy in the U.S? I think that would be an important fact to know before just blaming them for the most emissions.

Hey kmac... have you found out the answer to your question yet? Or do you wait for other people to do all the research for you? :lol:

Considering how badly they are doing these days, the Big 3 is not very... but I bet, it's their millions of tons of old metal on the roads that actually create the majority of their pollutants... not their new cars...

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess we asked kmac to do too much thinking and he decided he'd better stick with the rightwing boards. :lol:

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

:lol:

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:22 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Just in case kmac slithers back to this site I thought I'd post this. Here's a list of the top10 polluters in the U.S. from a real left leaning source- Forbes. :lol:
http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2006/07/ ... 0feat.html

Quote:
In fact, the market's least environmentally friendly car is Ford's $26,000, full-size E-Series van, which gets the EPA's lowest-possible scores for air pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions: 0 out of 10 on both. Compare that with the market's most environmentally friendly cars, Honda Motor's (nyse: HMC - news - people ) Civic Hybrid and Toyota Motor's (nyse: TM - news - people ) hybrid Prius sedan, which have air-pollution scores of 9.5 and greenhouse-gas scores of 10. Even in apples-to-apples comparisons of similar vehicle types, the American cars come up short. The dirtiest configuration of Nissan Motor's (nasdaq: NSANY - news - people ) full-size Titan pickup has poor air-pollution and greenhouse-gas scores, but it's still greener than Ford's most polluting F-150 pickup.

Here's the greenest machines- http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/vehicl ... at_ls.html

Lets take it one step further shall we. Here's a list of the 10 worst polluted cities in America. Of course, this is from that left leaning Forbes rag. :wink: http://www.forbes.com/logistics/2006/03 ... llute.html

Quote:
" According to the EPA, an average person breathes in 3,400 gallons of air per day. Some 25% of Americans, according to the American Lung Association (ALA), are breathing air that is hazardous to their health.
...... The emissions from cars and trucks have been a big problem for the past 40 years," says Janice Nolen, ALA director of national policy. Some communities, according to Nolen, have thought that building more roads to reduce congestion would be a prime way to solve the problem, but in fact that hasn't solved anything. Some experts are now looking at alternatives to how communities themselves are built so that commutes and distances traveled by vehicles are shorter, making roads less congested.

Polluting emissions are also generated from vehicles moving or idling on highways and city streets while engines and exhaust systems are operating at less than optimum levels. The ATA makes a point of singling out off-road vehicles as very heavy polluters. Their fuel is among the dirtiest. Diesel locomotives with inadequately designed engines generate pollutants as well. Of course, factories produce pollution along with electrical generation plants (often coal driven), and known carcinogenic emissions are even created by dry cleaners.

Here kmac is a list of the cars made since 1960 and where they are now in America- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_ ... ted_States

Gotta help these cripples who have no fingers to type this kind of information in. Brain freeze when you have a search engine in front of you. Next time type in "What should I do next?" and see where it takes you.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:37 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Quote:
With just 5 percent of the world's population, the United States has 30 percent of the world's automobiles and produces 45 percent of the world's automotive carbon dioxide emissions, the report said. U.S. cars are driven more and burn more fuel per mile than the international average.

I don't get too upset at us driving more, but the stuff below is ridiculous:
http://garagejazz.blogspot.com/2006/09/next-time-you-think-gasoline-prices.html
-- The US is 4.6% of the world's population.
-- The US uses 40% of the world's gasoline.
-- The US uses gasoline at rates that are 30% less efficient than EU, China or Japan, where new vehicles sold average 39 mpg, vs. 24 mpg in the land of the free.
- - US mpg has actually declined over the last 25 yrs, (From 26 mpg to 24 mpg)

a number of other stats at the link above.

we also account for 25% of global greenhouse emissions, and out of 36 industrialized nations who have ratified KYoto, 2 have not signed, US and Australia.

absurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
absurd.

CORRECT, garagejazz.... :D

Welcome to TVNL! Glad to see you here.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman