All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: State Officials Deputize Online Vigilantes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

State Officials Deputize Online Vigilantes
Sep 20 2006 -

found at www.redstateupdate.net

Colorado authorities have implemented a program that allows private citizens to report their suspicions about other citizens’ activities through a state-run website that is linked to federal intelligence databases. Tips received from online informants are forwarded to a data analysis center, called a “fusion center,” which provides an interface between federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies. Counter terrorism agents working at the fusion center then evaluate the significance of each report of suspicious activity, in some cases referring the reports to the FBI for investigation.

State officials launched the program on the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, encouraging citizen participation in anti-terror surveillance efforts. According to a report in the Denver Post, authorities said that suspicious activities might include “unusual requests for information,” “unusual interest in high-risk or symbolic targets,” “unusual purchases,” or “persons who appear out of place.” Reports received through the system are sent for initial analysis to the Colorado Information Analysis Center in Centennial, where they are checked against an array of state and federal databases. If data analysts feel further investigation is warranted, the report is forwarded to the FBI, and state counter terrorism officials are notified.

Privacy rights activists and civil libertarians have assailed the program as unconstitutionally intrusive. Legal experts warn that the newly implemented program will eventually be challenged in court. “This is encouraging people to spy on one another,” Colorado ACLU executive director Cathryn Hazouri told the Post, “Be careful. Be aware that you could ruin peoples’ reputations; ruin their ability to go on an airplane. There are so many things that grow out of this kind of program.”

The Colorado fusion center has forwarded approximately 300 tips to federal authorities over the past 18 months. Officials have designed the new system to increase the flow of information into state and federal anti-terrorism programs. Citizens may even upload photos with their reports. The CIAC also operates an anti-terrorism telephone hotline for would-be informants, which receives about 20 tips each week.

www.redstateupdate.net
funny, frightening, free

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

It smacks of the systems used in every Authoritarian State where the citizens are used as "spies" upon each other, reporting things that seem out of place, unusal behavior. The Bolseviks, Stalinist, Nazis, Maoist...all have used a similar system...before long, we will have the Thought Police to content with our way of thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:22 pm 

Republicae, you took the words right out of my mouth (or off my fingertips!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:30 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

If it was based on terrorism then it is directly aimed at those of a darker color. It is far reaching and will affect all aspects of privacy, including your own back yard and the bedroom closet.

No more squealing. It could affect your neighbours.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you wonder what wingers will do with an opportunity like this?

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:31 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Wait a minute...there is a piece of legislation, thanks to James Sensenbrenner, the man who brought us the Real ID Act, to force you and I to snitch on our neighbors. Oh yes, HR 1528 has already passed through one committee and it looks like it is going to pass through another, then it comes up on the floor for vote.

If the bill passes, you and I will be forced to inform on your neighbors, co-workers, friends and family if we have any knowledge of drug related activity by those people. If you don't inform, you can face up to 20 years in prison!

Welcome to The Free World folks!