It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: survival? lol
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

oh...look....how nice of them to post this today!! telling you how easy it will be to survive a nuclear attack.

How To Survive a Nuclear Bomb

first...the scare tactic:

"If we continue along our present course," warns Harvard's Graham Allison, "nuclear terrorism is inevitable."

then, the relaxing mood talk:

Here's the worst part: You will survive. Get those images of Jason Robards in The Day After out of your head. This is not that. We're not talking here about multiple-entry 20-megaton warheads wiping whole cities off the map in seconds. A single terrorist nuke, more likely in the 5- to 10-kiloton range (Hiroshima was 12 kilotons), will kill tens or hundreds of thousands of people in any big city but spare the rest. In New York, that will leave about 7.5 million of us to sort through the carnage.

WHEW...i thought i might be a goner there, but i can survive.....

So, what should you do? For all survivors within 20 miles, the immediate task will be to stay away from fires and avoid the fallout for at least a couple of days. (The vast majority of radioactivity fades away that quickly.) The only two methods of avoiding fallout would be:

A) to take shelter until the radiation danger fades, or

B) if you have time, evacuate the area, heading in a perpendicular direction to the fallout wind.

ummmm.....ok,but, what about everything that's now contaminated for the next 500 years? oh...wait a sec...not to worry...just take a pill:

In either case, it would be a very good idea for everyone in the exposed area to take potassium iodide pills, a relatively harmless substance that prevents your thyroid from soaking up radio-iodine and thus lowers the risk of future thyroid cancer.

http://www.slate.com/id/2148772/entry/2148774/?GT1=8592

see.....nuclear weapons aren't as bad as everyone has made them out to be. we can safely toss a few around the globe and people will survive...what's the big deal? and, if we get hit with one, why just hide under your desk until it's over...that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:09 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Then perhaps they can explain why no one is living around Chernobyl these days... and that radiological discharge wasn't even a bomb...

no, these folks are as out to lunch as our resident libertarian...

:lol:

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:15 pm 

This reminds me of when I was in grade school and we had "nuclear" drills, where we would climb under our desks or a table and put our hands over our heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:46 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We went down to the cans in the basement. Great- if we survived, at least we had water to put out our burning flesh.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
In either case, it would be a very good idea for everyone in the exposed area to take potassium iodide pills,

...there's the deal, goddamn it..Big PHARMA is going to benefit even if there's an attack that wipes out a whole big bunch of people and other animals. :evil:

Next thing will be that death's head lookalike Chertoff giving out the call to stock up on potassium iodide pills and to practice running perpendicular to all wind directions.

Lefty, I remember those drills, too. Also the black and yellow fallout shelter signs.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Actually he's at least partially right. NOTE I SAID PARTIALLY!! Do they release radiation? Damned Right. Is it nasty stuff? Absolutely. But especially with the designs that replaced the big single warhead city-busters of the early fifties the levels have been radically reduced. The long term radialogical damage (it's the short-dwell isotopes that decay in the first week or so that are the real bitch of nuclear weapons) from even one of the bigger 500-700kt warheads is less than you find in the air five miles downwind of a coal powerplant.

A bomb produces massive localized radiation with a short dwell time but after the first month what's left are levels that will increase local cancer risks over the long term but not enough to worry about compared to the much larger sources we stick in our city centers anyway in the form of powerplants and factories.

There is a massive difference between a bomb and a Chernobyl. Less than a hundred pounds of material is being fissioned inside such a bomb. With proper techniques you could get a couple kilotons from a device with maybe fifteen pounds. At Chernobyl it wasn't the reactor breaching, it was the approximately five to ten metric tons (records are shoddy) of expended and highly radioactive waste they were storing right beside it getting released into the atmosphere that made it so bad. The wastes they were storing were of slow-decaying types that stick around unlike most of what a bomb makes which ends up decaying through several stages into isotopes that aren't radioactive enough to be overly concerned about in a few weeks.