It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

as an added attraction, i thought this was befitting for this conversation:

Christian Mobs Riot In Indonesia

Mobs Burn Cars, Loot Muslim-Owned Shops in Indonesia Following Christian Militants' Executions

By IRWAN FIRDAUS

PALU, Indonesia Sep 22, 2006 (AP)— Christian mobs torched cars, blockaded roads and looted Muslim-owned shops in violence touched off by Friday's executions of three Roman Catholics convicted of instigating attacks on Muslims.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=2477170

religions of peace...lol....c'mon....they're bullshitting everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:44 pm 

Ok, you do have a point about the religion of peace thing...though, you will find a good deal of Christians (at least here in the south) who claim that their religion is a peaceful one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:14 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I wonder who that was/is that burns down black churches in the south?

Is it Christians, Muslims or Athiests?

Leviticus 24:20
fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Accept Your Own and Be Yourself ~ Master Fard Muhammad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Even the KKK profess to be Christians.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
A religion of peace? There isn't any such thing. All religions, all the time, inspire dogmatism that ends in violence because of the simple definition of faith, which is the suspension of reason.

When rationality breaks down, dialogue is impossible and war is inevitable. It's as simple as that.

So let's cut out the cheap shots at Islam, and Christianity, for that matter, while leaving the rest of the world's superstitions immune from criticism. The rise of religious intolerance in Israel, and among that country's vociferous supporters in the West, isn't the only clue to the dangers posed by a misguided sensitivity. Hindu-fascism in India is the latest fundamentalist threat to the peace of the world, as I have warned in this column before: does the world really need another nuclear-armed fanatic who looks to God (or the gods, in the case of the Hindus) as justification for repression and mass murder?

The emerging Israel-India alliance is all too logical, given the fundamentalist trajectory of both countries. That the U.S. is funding and sponsoring this sinister convergence will reap us the kind of "blowback" we have rightly come to dread

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:44 am 
Hear Me Roar!

The most rational summation is to understand that RELIGION does profess peace, only the people belonging to the religions profess peace with violence.

When the teacher teaches and the students fail, is it the fault of the teacher?

The word is spelled one way and someone spells the word wrong, is the word at fault?

fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The most rational summation is to understand that RELIGION does profess peace, only the people belonging to the religions profess peace with violence.

Therein lies the fallacy of religion, derrion. There is no supernatural realm. There is just nature, and people are of nature. I do not think it takes religion or a belief in a supernatural deity to learn certain HUMAN values such as kindness, love, giving, temperance, and respect. Atheists are not your enemy nor are they the enemy of mankind. The enemy is the person who isn't concerned with life and values, and far too often, that turns out to be people who "profess peace with violence," and those are usually religious folks. They are actually the biggest hypocrites among us. They use their "religion" as an excuse to do harm to others.

Quote:
When the teacher teaches and the students fail, is it the fault of the teacher?

In many ways, yes, it is. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to make sure the learning is happening. I give diagnostic tests to see what the student knows and what he doesn't know. Once those results are determined, it is up to me to find resources which target what he doesn't know. It is up to me to make sure the student feels that whether or not he is learning is important to me, his teacher. After I have done all I possibly can to help that student learn, and he continues to RESIST learning, then I can do no more. He is the one who controls his destiny after that point, and he cannot come back and blame his teacher for having failed him. He failed himself. It's a cycle...religion fails when its believers turn to violence against others for not believing as they do. People fail their religion when they do the same IF theIR religion teaches peace for all.

Your religion says the bible is infallible...I never considered any textbook or teaching method as being infallible and right for every student in my classroom.

Catherine

Last edited by Catherine on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:55 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Excellent Cat.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:38 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:

Therein lies the fallacy of religion, derrion. There is no supernatural realm. There is just nature, and people are of nature. I do not think it takes religion or a belief in a supernatural deity to learn certain HUMAN values such as kindness, love, giving, temperance, and respect. Atheists are not your enemy nor are they the enemy of mankind. The enemy is the person who isn't concerned with life and values, and far too often, that turns out to be people who "profess peace with violence," and those are usually religious folks. They are actually the biggest hypocrites among us. They use their "religion" as an excuse to do harm to others.

I have to answer that is the fallacy of those who say that they doing something in the name of something and trhat something is wrong. That is the fallacy.

Religion means a way of life. Now it can be construed upon any persons interpretation and they who do that have to answer for that. The people who do that are not the blanket for all who say that the believe in a particular faith... although most people will claim that.

Those human values that you mention cannot be considered by those who deceive. Deception is a practice by a hypocrite. A hypocrite cannot be considered a true follower of any religion that promotes peace.

This is what the Holy Qur-an reads on what to do if people choose to be a believer in what some other belives:

Chapter 109

In the name of Allåh, the Beneficent,
the Merciful.
1 Say: O disbelievers,
2 I serve not what you serve,
3 Nor do you serve Him Whom I
serve,
4 Nor shall I serve that which ye
serve,
5 Nor do you serve Him Whom I
serve.
6 For you is your recompense and
for me my recompense.

It, for me is basically that simple, I will not attack you, hurl insults at you based on your decisions but I will defend myself and my faith if attacked or insulted. Aggressing amd defending are two opposite sides of the poles.

In many ways, yes, it is. As a teacher, it is my responsibility to make sure the learning is happening. I give diagnostic tests to see what the student knows and what he doesn't know. Once those results are determined, it is up to me to find resources which target what he doesn't know. It is up to me to make sure the student feels that whether or not he is learning is important to me, his teacher. After I have done all I possibly can to help that student learn, and he continues to RESIST learning, then I can do no more. He is the one who controls his destiny after that point, and he cannot come back and blame his teacher for having failed him. He failed himself. It's a cycle...religion fails when its believers turn to violence against others for not believing as they do. People fail their religion when they do the same IF theIR religion teaches peace for all.

That is basically my premise. The teacher has the job to do their job to the best of their ability and the student has to also shoulder their responsibility. No one is without obligations.

Your religion says the bible is infallible...I never considered any textbook or teaching method as being infallible and right for every student in my classroom.

No my way of life does not say that. I have never alleged that. Now if you had wrote my religion says the holy Qur-an is infallible then I would agree. However, I cannot say that it is right for every person because in the Holy Qur-an in several verses and chapters I can post where it reads where Allah does not guide all. He leaves some to theirselves... and who are we to write why? When we are too busy trying to right our own lives; hopefully by being right.

Catherine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

"So Jesus and Moses walk into a bar. They take a moment to
look around. After a moment they look at each other and
breathe a sigh of relief. Moses looks at Jesus and says,
Thank God that Mohammad isn't here. This joke could have
led to riots."

"In the serious times in which we live, it is important for all
of us, Of all faiths, to recognize these four deep religious
truths:
1. Muslims do not recognize Jews as God's chosen people.
2. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
3. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the Leader
of the Christian World.
4. Baptists do not recognize each other at Hooters."

"Few things are more dangerous and likely to end
in evil circumstance than juxtaposition of the
desire and the power to 'do good'."

"Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
alert."

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

"I sleep like a baby, too. Every two hours I wake
up screaming!"- Colin Powell sometime between 2001-2004

"Look, when you have seen one Earth, you have seen them all" - Harrison Schmidt to Gene Cernan, Apollo 17 Dec 1972, after being told to look at the Earth.

"We can't defend an open democratic society of 285 million
people. The only way we can protect Americans is to kill
those who would kill them."- Gen. John M. Keane, US Army 2nd in command addressing 101st Airborne in Kandahar, Afghanistan. 02/05/25

"We will have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more
than they hate us,"- Golda Meir, date unknown

"The few young al-Qaida members who killed thousands of Americans doubtless thought they were acting ethically because they believed policies and actions of the U.S. government had caused the deaths and misery of any innocents. And retrospection suggests that even decisions of democratic governments, such as terror bombings aimed at German and Japanese civilians in World War II, were hardly ethical."-
Paul Erlich, limits to growth asshole. Remember this quote the next time you see him cited in Scientific American. 2002/02

"May the scripts of a thousand kiddies reside in your servers" - curse for a new age, Dale Amon 20021016

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.