It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wasn't Jesus a Liberal?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:41 am 

LINK

Wasn't Jesus a Liberal?

by Gary Vance | Sep 26 2006

Liberalism has been under assault for years now. The battering of this grand political philosophy has altered the contemporary definition of liberal to the point that conservatives use it as a profane word. They use it to paint a political opponent as anti-God and anti-American. It has gotten to the point that moderate and liberal Christians are afraid to be open about their political leanings. Sadly, it even affects their conscience and choices as they enter the voting booth. This is particularly troubling to me as a Christian evangelical minister who loves America.

Liberalism as defined by Webster’s Third New International Dictionary: “a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of man, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for tolerance and freedom for the individual from arbitrary authority in all spheres of life…”

I am not sure why anyone would feel threatened by liberalism as defined by the dictionary. They are apparently unaware or simply refuse to acknowledge the long history of liberals who have labored for the betterment of society and the furthering of God’s Kingdom.

The labor movement of the early twentieth century was aided significantly when major Christian denominations got behind it. No average American would have a fair wage today if it weren’t for liberal Christians and labor activists. Liberal Christians and civil rights activists fought and still fight against conservative America for racial equality. Child labor laws were enacted because liberals fought for them. Medicare and Social Security exist today because of liberalism. “Bleeding heart liberals” have long advocated for the homeless, the hungry, the less fortunate, and the disenfranchised. The women of America owe liberals a big thank you for their almost equal rights. “Tree hugging liberals” fight for clean air and water standards instead of favoring industrial polluters and short term profiteering that destroy God’s green earth.

Liberals believe in affordable health care for all U.S. citizens. They also believe in higher taxes for the rich and lower taxes for the middle class and the poor. Liberals love their spouses and children. Liberals faithfully attend their churches to worship God. Liberals love America and hate terrorism and have proved it by fighting in every war for this country. Liberals come in all shapes, sizes, and color. They are found in the ranks of Protestants, Catholics, Jews, agnostics, and atheists.
More at link.

People are actually arguing about this there, too.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 am 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

ONE thing the gop is good at for the past 26 years is controlling the dialogue on their own terms. thus "liberal" has indeed become a word with bad connotations. it is wrong, but it is the state of affairs that has been created with the help of a compliant media.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:17 pm 

You have summed that up beautifully, gj!

Yes!!!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:43 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I believe, according to the bible, that Jesus was very liberal. I was raised in a very religious family...but have somewhat strayed from my family's beliefs....my views on religion, however, are in need of another topic.

Post subject: Re: Wasn't Jesus a Liberal?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

dori wrote:
LINK

Wasn't Jesus a Liberal?

by Gary Vance | Sep 26 2006

Liberalism has been under assault for years now. The battering of this grand political philosophy has altered the contemporary definition of liberal to the point that conservatives use it as a profane word. They use it to paint a political opponent as anti-God and anti-American. It has gotten to the point that moderate and liberal Christians are afraid to be open about their political leanings. Sadly, it even affects their conscience and choices as they enter the voting booth. This is particularly troubling to me as a Christian evangelical minister who loves America.

Liberalism as defined by Webster’s Third New International Dictionary: “a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of man, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for tolerance and freedom for the individual from arbitrary authority in all spheres of life…”

I am not sure why anyone would feel threatened by liberalism as defined by the dictionary. They are apparently unaware or simply refuse to acknowledge the long history of liberals who have labored for the betterment of society and the furthering of God’s Kingdom.

The labor movement of the early twentieth century was aided significantly when major Christian denominations got behind it. No average American would have a fair wage today if it weren’t for liberal Christians and labor activists. Liberal Christians and civil rights activists fought and still fight against conservative America for racial equality. Child labor laws were enacted because liberals fought for them. Medicare and Social Security exist today because of liberalism. “Bleeding heart liberals” have long advocated for the homeless, the hungry, the less fortunate, and the disenfranchised. The women of America owe liberals a big thank you for their almost equal rights. “Tree hugging liberals” fight for clean air and water standards instead of favoring industrial polluters and short term profiteering that destroy God’s green earth.

Liberals believe in affordable health care for all U.S. citizens. They also believe in higher taxes for the rich and lower taxes for the middle class and the poor. Liberals love their spouses and children. Liberals faithfully attend their churches to worship God. Liberals love America and hate terrorism and have proved it by fighting in every war for this country. Liberals come in all shapes, sizes, and color. They are found in the ranks of Protestants, Catholics, Jews, agnostics, and atheists.
More at link.

People are actually arguing about this there, too.

I am indeed delighted that a man of the cloth is able to see the light, as it were. I wish more Christian Evangelicals could think like this person instead of blindly associating liberalism as some form of perversity.

Liberalism has been maligned for political purposes it seems and it is good to see that it still has followers in the leadership of Christians. This represents hope for me. Hopefully his message will reach other pulpits in dire need of a transformation in political thought. I can only hope of course.

It is instructive in the final analysis, however, to note the structure of his final sentence in his speech. As a matter of protocol, the atheist is the last person mentioned by the author as believers in liberalism. I would prefer to place the atheist in the foreground and not in the background where he can not be heard or seen and more often. It is he afterall who is keeping the faith of liberalism alive and well while others have demonized it or simply forgotten that it (liberalism) exists.