It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sick Dog
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:59 am 

My dog escaped today and is now sick. She wasn't gone long at all, I think because it has gotten so cold out. She did however come home full of burrs. I wasn't able to get them all out of her fur before I had to leave for somewhere. When I got home she had gotten almost all the rest out herself, but I think she ate them. Now she keeps licking everthing, sort of heaves and eats the grass when I let her out. She vomited once already and I could hardly believe the stuff she found to eat! Even a plastic hair band (those little clear ones). Well I thought she was better after puking, but she's still acting weird and licks the floor, or whatever is around her. Anyone have a clue as to this weird licking thing she is now doing? Do you think she is just eating anything trying to make herself throw up more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:20 am 

I would guess she is trying to throw up more. You don't have syrup of ipicac (sp?) around do you? Her tummy probably hurts from the burs and whatever else she managed to eat. (Don't you love how dogs will eat ANYTHING?) Make sure you leave out a bunch of fresh water if you don't have something to induce more vomiting. I'm betting she'll be fine in a day or so.

Oh ya? Is there any foam? Any other weird behaviors? If nothing else is weird besides the licking/barfing, I wouldn't worry too much. If there is other weird stuff she could have gotten into some poison.

How old is she?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:33 am 

No foam, and I put out fresh water for her right away. I havn't seen her drink any though. I try to help her and even went out and picked grass for her to eat. I know, I'm a bit odd. lol No syrup of ipacac around but I'd be nervous giving her any. She doesn't even weigh 7 lbs. Oh and she's 5. I'm sure you're right and she'll be fine, but one still worries. I'll let you know if she starts doing anything else that may seem odd. Thanks for the help lefty. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:40 am 

No problem. I am a dog lover to the core. My dog's birthday was yesterday and she's now 12. She's pretty much done everything and barfed up the house. One time she ate 4 $100 dollar bills that I had on top of the dresser to pay rent. Oh ya, that was a GREAT day!!! Little torn up peices of cash in her poo.

You can give a baby syrup of ipicac so I bet you could give a small amount to a dog. What about peanut butter? That would provide some oil and some substance in her gut that may help smooth things out the other end (rather than puking). Plus, dogs LOVE peanut butter!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:50 am 

I'll try the peanut butter, if she will eat it. I know she is currently eating pine needles and crap but typically she is a really fussy eater. lol Oh lefty. I'm a dog lover too. I've always had a dog and yeah, a little puke is nothing. This dog once ate some dirt that made her sick. Ummm I can't even tell you what I had to clean up and from where! It's just too gross! That time she ended up at the vet though and on meds. Ok, I'm going to go get the peanut butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:30 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'm not sure...my dog always licks everything(!) ..she doesn't throw up, though. She just ends up coughing until she can't breathe...and then I stick her in the bathroom, filled up with steam, until she feels better. ....wish I could help. ...I'm not a doctor, ..yet. :roll:

Last edited by jobot on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If she's no better today, Nina, see if you can get a vet to examine her. Those burrs may have been sprayed with something lethal to the burrs, but just sickening to your dog. One of them could've gotten wedged in her tummy or intestine, too.

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dsymptom.html

http://www.seefido.com/html/first_diagnosis.htm

http://www.dog-names.org.uk/dog-symptoms-sorter.htm

http://www.aboutdoghealth.org/symptoms/ ... nosis.html

Keep us posted on her health and best of luck.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:40 am 

Thanks Catherine. I think she may be feeling better today. She ate the dog food I put out for her. I did try to get her to eat some peaunut butter last night but since she ate this morning she is most likely fine. I'll see about taking her for a walk today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:35 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My dogs both lick the floor, the carpet all the time. Maybe the carpet has something in it that dogs like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i give my dog a tablespoon of pepto bismal when she acts up.

it works too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:55 pm 

Thanks everyone. She is fine this morning, but I will remember the peanut butter and pepto bismol. Might be tough to get her to take them though.