It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our research led to many substitute teacher changes within our school system which were mandated through the school board. My colleagues and I compiled a packet of suggested information/materials for both subs and teachers, which we gave to each principal within our school system. The principal then went back to his/her school, met with the faculty, and put into place the substitute teacher program.

Implementation of those new guidelines proved invaluable to both subs and teachers in our school system. Lost learning days were minimized and we began to attract better people to sub. Classroom management improved for subs, and everybody won when that happened. Teachers were better prepared for subs and the subs felt that they were appreciated and had some ownership in the school's overall academic success.

One of my favorites among all the new ideas was the Emergency Lesson Plans that were required to be prepared by each teacher so a sub could come in and continue as effectively as possible in the event of an unexpected teacher absence. Another was requiring subs to be in on all Dangerous Intruder Training that we all had to do after Columbine. And still another was the substitute teacher mentors chosen from the faculties, one for each two grades in elem. and middle schools, and one for each subject taught in high school.

We implemented substitute evaluation plans. The sub got to evaluate his/her day and the teacher got to evaluate the sub after he/she returned. The principal would then determine how the day could've gone better for the students with input from both teacher and sub. I also conducted new substitute teacher orientation at my school on the first day back.

I no longer teach the substitute teacher training course since I retired. It was turned over to the college Early Childhood curriculum. I don't miss it, as it was a hell of a lot of work, but it was great to be in on the development of a program that is so worthwhile.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

We HAVE to have emergency plans in case we do have an emergency and there is no time to prepare for a sub.

Friday we had a sub in one of the math rooms. My kids came to me spit fire mad. He had the audacity to say, "All black kids are bad". It took me 15 minutes to calm them down. One of the other teachers went to the principal and told him what was said. I don't think that sub will be back.

He was retired and you could tell he had never subbed in a district like ours. If one was to sit back and observe, it could appear as "the black kids are bad". Culturally, they are louder. It does take longer to get them (many, not all) settled down and on task.

I tried to explain what he was observing and only his ignorance would allow him to say that. I bet he had no classroom control after that statement and it probably was the black kids who were acting out. Can you blame them?

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:01 pm 

I fugred as much Sadie about you not really writing a book, but figured it would be true that it wouldn't be read by the right folks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:19 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Oh so true.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:05 am 
Quote:
in a poverty stricken district where many parents are in welfare, are drug addicts, are in prison, where an old, tired, and feeble grandma is raising the children, etc.

These children did NOT choose their parents nor their situations. They deserve a chance to get a decent education and a chance to rise above from where they came

I guess the question is: HOW does this cycle get broken? It seems that poverty-violence-'bad parenting' begets the same. It seems like a deep societal problem (at least in SOME places). Would you agree that it boils down to irresponsible people (including juveniles) having children? I understand the sentiment of children not choosing their parents--I speak from personal experience (also,having known my share of 16-year old moms). As for 'children' having children--isn't 'Sex Ed' supposed to teach them how to prevent pregnancies? What happened? However, we can't really prevent irresponsible people from having kids, now, can we? Also, don't we tell them (through welfare) its O.K. to have kids they're not prepared to care for/support? Again, we don't want innocent children to suffer, but how do we srike the right balance? I've also known PLENTY of women (some family members too, I hate to say) on welfare (most perpetrating some form of fraud against the system), and believe me--they aren't 'victims'! They KNOW how babies are made, and KNOW they'll get public assistance. I'm not big on 'morals', but I AM big on personal responsibility. With freedom comes responsibility. Want to have sex w/a different woman/man every night? FINE. Use protection. If there is no protection--don't do it! Don't act like there aren't consequences to irresponsible behavior.