All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is God dead? Atheism finds a market in U.S
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is God dead? Atheism finds a market in U.S
Wed Oct 18, 2006

By Michael Conlon, Religion Writer

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A fresh wave of atheistic books has hit the market this autumn, some climbing onto best-seller lists in what proponents see as a backlash against the way religion is entwined in politics.

"Religion is fragmenting the human community," said Sam Harris, author of "Letter to a Christian Nation," No. 11 on the New York Times nonfiction list on October 15.

There is a "huge visibility and political empowerment of religion. President George W. Bush uses his first veto to deny funding for stem cell research and scientists everywhere are horrified," he said in an interview.

Religious polarization is part of many world conflicts, he said, including those involving Israel and Iran, "but it's never discussed. I consider it the story of our time, what religion is doing to us. But there are very few people calling a spade a spade."

His "Letter," a blunt 96-page pocket-sized book condensing arguments against belief in quick-fire volleys, appeared on the Times list just ahead of "The God Delusion," by Richard Dawkins, a scientist at Oxford University and long-time atheist.

READ REST OF ARTICLE HERE

READ MORE COMMENTS HERE

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Sounds interesting. :) Are you going to be reading that Cat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

it's just a matter of time, and i knew it would be. the people taking religion to the extremes are the ones who are ruining it for themselves. basically, they're turning people off...rapidly. i have encountered many people who claim they now have their doubts about religion and a "god". being agnostic is the first step towards free thinking. breaking away is definately a hard thing to do, especially after years and years of programming. but, once you come to terms with it and accept the fact that religions, like gods, are nothing but man's propaganda to exploit man.

you feel like you've lost 200 lbs when you become an atheist and it's a freedom that's hard to explain. when you step back and remove yourself from it all, the world is.....different.

no santa, no easter bunny and you're on your own in life. no phoney promises of some after life of pearly gates or 72 virgins, or reincarnations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NO, I don't need to read it, mga. I'm sure there's nothing in any of those books that I don't already agree with. I wish the authors the best of luck in remaining on the best-seller list...maybe people who are religious are buying them, reading them, and actually wondering if there just might be something to this idea that religion does more harm than good.

Cat

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman