It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One Step Closer to the Edge and I'm About to Break.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:48 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Hi guys. I just wanted to drop a quick note to you. I really was not sure whether to put this in here or in the chit chat bar, but I decided that because it is medical in nature, it belongs here.

1 year and one month ago my wife had to have an operation on her back because she had a ruptured disk that was pushing into her spinal cord. We had two options at the time, one was a diskectomy (spelling) and the other option was a spinal fusion. The spinal fusion was a major operation with the possibility for many complications while the diskectomy was not as severe and had less complications but it was not quite a sure thing though it is normally a better choice to make. We chose the diskectomy with the hopes that all would turn out well.

It did not. In a diskectomy what they do is shave off the part of the disk that is protruding. What happened to my wife is that instead of the remaining disk staying put it bulged again so she was pretty much in the same predicament though because this bulge was not quite as big she was not in quite as much pain which opened up another option for us which as a series of shots in her back or once again the spinal fusion. Once again we chose to avoid the fusion because it is such a serious operation (about 13 months full recovery for a smoker which unfortunately we both are)

Well, on Friday she went in to get the first shot. Everything seemed to go OK, the procedure lasted a short time, and she was home in about 3 hours. Really, this was supposed to be nothing major.

I got her home and although sore and a bit shaky on her legs which was to be expected everything was going good, she was in good spirits because she really had high hopes that this would work. I feel terrible because she has been in pain for so long and I just want her to feel better.

The next day she got up and her legs were still very weak which was a possible side effect, so we still thought nothing of it. We were told that this would last for about 3 days, and then she should start to feel better.

At about 10 am her right leg was feeling real shaky so she went to lay down figuring that she was probably just up to long. (she is stubborn). I laid down on the couch and dozed off.

At 11 am she calls to me and said that she needed me, I asked her what what she needed and she said that she needed me in the bedroom. I walked in and asked her what she needed and she said that she could not move her right leg, and then she broke down because she was terrified.

First thing that I did was call an emergency number that was left. The emergency number hooked me to someone all the way in New Haven, (I work there, but in an emergency that is waaay to far of a ride) Anyway, the guy on the other end kept saying "Well this is not normal...I think you should wait for a few hours and see what happens"

I was like...."Do you understand what I am saying to you??? SHE CANNOT MOVE HER LEG"!!

He then gave me the same response. I hung up. There was no way in hell that I was going to wait for a few hours to see what happened. My wife was terrified and I was terrified for her. That man is lucky I cannot reach through the phone.

As soon as I hung up with him, I picked up my wife and carried her to our vehicle and slid her in and went to the emergency room in Waterbury which is about 5 mins away from my house. Then I carried her into the Emergency room.

She was processed fairly quickly for insurance and information, and then we had to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours before we were taken to the room. Then we had to wait another freaking 3 hours before a doctor even came to see her. He ordered a MRI and at least with that they took her fairly quickly. She was back in the room about an hour after they took her. Then we had to wait for another hour before he came back and said he seen nothing on the MRI and he was consulting a neurologist and someone else to see what they thought. He came back about another hour later and said they don't know what was going on. That was the last that we seen of him.

The next person that we seen was at around 7:00 maybe 8 at night. She was a person that they call a Hospitalist. (Shrugs) Anyway, I guess how it works is that because the Neurologist nor anyone else would admit my wife into the hospital and they could not release her because she could not walk, it fell upon this woman to admit my wife. Now to give this woman credit, she is one of only 2 people that have given us any information at all (at the time) of what she thought was going on.

She said that it was probable though she was still not 100% sure, that what was happening was that there was some swelling that was pushing on the nerve for her motor control and the MRI was not picking it up because it was taking place behind the scar tissue. They gave her something to reduce the swelling and she finally got a room. They gave her some pills so she could sleep, and I finally went home at around after she dozed off which was around 11 at night.

I got there at about 8 in the morning after not sleeping all night and her condition was still the same and we still had no information.

I cant remember exactly what time in the morning it was that an assistant of the DR who performed the diskectomy came in (Not the one who did the shot in her back), and she was asking my wife some questions. Then after she had only asks a couple questions, a Neurologist came into the room also. Good I'm saying to myself, now maybe we can get somewhere.

Not.

They tried to tell us that the problem she is having had nothing to do with the procedure. Of course I asked what the hell they meant by that and the assistant said that because they could see nothing on the MRI, it could not have anything to do with the procedure, thought she still said that they don't know what was causing the problem.

THEN, she said what they were going to do was to bring in a physical therapist to help the weak leg muscle. I asked her HuH? She said that my wife could not walk because her leg muscle was weak. Again I said HUH?? And again she said it. Now I got pissed.

Bullshit. Her leg muscle is not weak. Now if this woman would have said they needed to get the physical therapist in there to make sure that they keep the leg limber and help prevent it from atrophy, fine, but the reason she cannot walk has NOTHING to do with a weak leg muscle. You know something...when I said that to this girl she looked at me like "Who the fuck are you" and turned back to my wife and said the same thing AGAIN.

I'm still sitting there stunned, trying to pick out one of the million thoughts that are racing through my mind when the neurologist asks if my wife's left side of her face looked droopy to me. He told her to smile at me. Although not severe, her left side of her mouth was not going to the full smile.

I told him so, and he checked a couple more things and then asked the assistant to speak to him out side, AND THEY LEFT. NEITHER ONE CAME BACK. WTF.

As of right now, today they sent her for a brain scan. She does have limited movement in her right leg, but her left side of her face still is not there. I'm thinking minor stroke possibly, though I'm not sure because still no one has told us what the fuck is going on.

And for the brain scan, it wasn't even that neurologist who ordered it. In the morning another hospitalist came by to see how my wife was doing and she noticed her face and SHE IS THE ONE WHO ORDERED IT TO BE DONE.

No one is talking with us. No one is giving us any information. And I am losing my patience.

I am normally in real life a fairly easy going guy. It really does take quite a bit for me to get angry but when I do get angry, I am no longer me. These people are making me angry and they don't realize that they are making a mistake by doing that.

As of right now I have had about 3 hours sleep since Saturday and I am stressed to the max. I still have not shed a tear, partially because I have to stay as strong as I can for her, I want her to be able to feed on my strength, partially because I'm afraid if I start to cry I wont stop. I've come close a couple times, but I suck it up and drive on trying to get some freaking answers. I have been on the phone so much that my voice is shot, pretty much a croak and I am exhausted but wired at the same time. My mind just will not stop. And worst of all, I just don't know what to do.

OK guys. Sorry to vent here. I'm just passing the time till its time for me to get back on the phone and then back to the hospital. I'll talk to you all later.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:37 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

:( :evil:

This is one of the sites that I found about one of the drugs that was given to my wife. There are others out there making the same statements, but this on happens to have a picture of the label of this drug and the possible adverse reactions. What others who this has happend to as far as the doctors seeming to be bullshiting is the exact same thing that we are going through right now.

http://groups.msn.com/EPIDURALSTEROIDINJECTIONSAREDANGEROUS/depomedroldiditharmyou.msnw

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:27 pm 

Geezus CE. Hang in there man. I read the site you listed and that is scary shit. Love your wife and seriously consider taking her to another hospital, if that is at all possible. Seems like they are covering their asses right now and not particularly concerned with helping her. Keep us updated as you can. I will be thinking about you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:44 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

damn, man....do whatever it takes to get her well for now. later, when she's better, do what you have to do to find out more about that drug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

http://groups.msn.com/DepoMedrolDidItHarmYou/pusinternaldocument.msnw

How is this for a kick in the ass. I will have to have my friend who is a dr send in a formal request for this document though I do believe this copy to be legit, I want to have no doubt what so ever. What is a real kick in the ass is that this is an internal document which means that I think most doctors would not know about it because this information does not come with the medication. Can you beleive this?

I'm feeling a little more emotionaly stable right now. It seems to fade in and out. I really do thank you for you words of support to me.

Lefty, trust me, no matter what happens I will always love my wife. I used to be a different person and somehow through her love she helped me to become a better person.

mga, what is scary to me is that from what I have read so far, either she will get better on her own, or she will not get better and possibly get worse. From what I have found, there is no remedy. When I come across that information again if you are interested I will post it.

Once again, thanks guys. No matter what we will make it, but I am terrified that this could be a rough ride, though there is still hope.

As far as her improvement which at this moment is giving me hope that she will be one of the people that recover, she is able to go a short distance now using a walker. Her rignt leg has to kind of drag, but at least she is up and moving.

I started a firestorm in the hospital today. Lol, I dont think that they like me very much:)

The hospitalist came into the room to tell my wife that the last test came back clear, which from what I have read I knew that it would. I took him out into the hallway and had a little chat with him. I gave him the information that I have found so far and told him to look at it. He tried to deny it again but I wasnt going for it this time. This IS what the problem is. I know it. I think he left a bit shaken.

Awhile later he came back up to speak to my wife about another test, and all that he said was that it was clear and then walked out. He didnt even look at me, he avoided looking at me to the point that my wife commented on it. I still have not told her everything because I dont want her to worry anymore than she already is, but I did tell her a little about this drug because I wanted her to know that she is not losing her mind.

I waited all day for the damn Dr. who did her first surgery (distecomy) to show. At around 5:00 my wife was really really tired, so I decided to head out to drop off her mother who was with us all day and give her a chance to get some sleep. Unfortunatly, as I was walking in the door, the phone was ringing. Dont it figure, after I left he walked in. I wanted to give him the informaton also and I wanted to make sure that he understood that this was what the problem was.

Anyway, he told her that he did not know what was going on, they just couldnt figure it out, so he was going to talk to the hospitalist and have her released. Well, get this, he went to the hospitalist, (who I had a little talking too) and no one ever got back to her. The nurses even paged both the hospitalist and the surgen and NEITHER ONE CAME BACK. I'm figuring that the hospitalist gave him my message, so I guess that I did not have to be there to do that after all.

I know that my wife wants to come home and I'm sure that she is disapointed that she didnt. At first I was kind of against her coming home because I wanted to know what was going on, now that I do know what is going on I want her home badly. They cant do anything for her there. If she recovers she recovers, that is about it.

Ok. I will keep updating this if you all dont mind. Also, I would like this here to remind everyone who is a regular here and any of the lurkers who are out there and read this to think very carfully before they ever get this procedure done. Chances are you will be ok, but there is a big enough chance that you will not be ok and have such devestating consequenses that would make your life a hell on earth. Of course they wont tell you that, they will tell you the same thing that they told us.

http://groups.msn.com/DepoMedrolDidItHarmYou/pusinternaldocument.msnw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CE...I am appalled. I want you to know that all of the TVNL people are with you 100% and that we can only send you our love and concern via this board, but please know how much we care.

That is one of the strangest medical stories I"ve hard in a long time. Does your wife have a regular doctor who knows her medical history? This doesn't sound like the hospital personnel are behaving as though everything had been done correctly during the initial procedure. Document everything you can, CE. Have your wife's mother do the same. Talk to the hospital administrator or find out where you can file an official complaint if things don't improve in your wife's care.

As the others have said, please keep us updated, and again, know that we're with you and your wife all the way.

Hugs,

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:53 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

They want to put her in a convalecent home to recieve physical therapy. They still do not know what is wrong and they are still denying the information that I have given them. She is devastated.

Pfizer has made an enemy. They may be a goliath but ironicly my name is David.

I will most definatly continue to visit this site regularly, and I will also continue to post information updates. I'm sure that you understand that as far as truthseeking goes I will have to step down from this for awhile. I dont think I will be posting much as far and world events because right now the only thing in my life is her and I have to do what I can to take care of her.

Continue the good work guys. I will still be here but right now I must focus like I have never focused before. I will not be a thorn in their side that they can ignore, I plan on being a dagger and I hope to bleed them badly enough that they get this shit off the market.

I may have to change my name from CrimsonEagle to FireStorm because with the focused anger that I have in me right now, this is what I will become.

Peace out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Your story made me quite sad, and I only hope that your wife has a quick and complete recovery. Go take care of her, and of course, be that dagger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

CE I hope you do not mind, but as I was reading your post I was saying a silent prayer. .

Quote:
Lefty, trust me, no matter what happens I will always love my wife. I used to be a different person and somehow through her love she helped me to become a better person.

I know exactly what you mean. Give her a big hug and tell we all care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Give her a big hug and tell her we all care.

I"ll echo that, CE...and please keep us updated as you can. Don't worry about things around here. We'll hold the fort. Your wife is the most important thing right now.

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:07 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there (easy for me to say). They are definately trying to hide something. Go and get a second opinion if they contiue to avoid you. THEY HAVE TO HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHAT IS GOING ON! They have no right to keep you in the dark.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Well, we made the decision today. Rather than putting my wife in a convalecent home which the Dr's were leaning towards, they decided to allow her to come home where I assured them I would take care of her. I'm 100% sure that I will take care of her needs quicker and better than any other place. I will have to get her to physical therapy everyday but that is the least of my concerns. Ultimatly this decision came down to the fact that I think if I would have pushed her into choosing the home I would have worried about her mental state. She was already starting to get depressed in the hospital, not because of how fucked up things are, but because she wanted to come home so much. Its gonna be rough, but now that she is home I also feel better.

Sadie, I have a friend who now lives in Florida who is an anestisioligist who I have been talking with. He has been able to verify some of the things I have been reading on as far as possible adverse reactions and such. When I had mentioned to him that this stuff that they used was not approved by the FDA, that was one thing that he did not believe. He said that he uses this stuff all the time, and he then went to say that he was putting his name on it. (Now mind you, I trust this guy 100%) I asked him if he could show me documentation that this was in fact approved and he hesitated and said he would have to look, but he was sure that it was approved.

Here is why. At one point the warning was put in the box with the medication that this was NOT approved by the FDA for this type of proceedure. Pfizers lobbied to make it so they no longer had to put that fact in with the medication. It is now in an "internal memo" which is what I linked to above. Here is the kicker. The Dr's cannot get this memo unless they make a request to the company for this document. Now, the way I see it, the Dr's assume that everything they need to know is with the medication as is should be. It is not. Like my friend, I wonder how many Dr's do not know about this and use it on a daily basis.

Something that is bugging the shit out of me though is that they seemed to be so unwilling to look at this Depo Medrol as being the culprit even after the fact that they could not pick up anything on any of the tests, and I mean nothing.

Today my wife asked the Hospitalist if it was possible that it was the medication itself and he finally admitted yes. (Same guy I gave hell yesterday. Not sure if he said it because he was scared of me or if he read the information and finaly understood what I was trying to tell him and why I was getting so angry. I hope it was the latter.

As far as how my wife is doing right now. Hard to say, I will have to let you know tommorow. With me standing behind her to watch her in case she looses her balance, it takes her about 5 mins or so to get from our couch to the bathroom using the walker. Our place is very, very small and from the couch to the bathroom is about 9 of my paces, (about a yard give or take) with one turn that she has to make. I then have to help her sit down because if I dont she would collapse on the way down.

I give her alot of credit, she is determined. By the time she gets to the bathroom and back she is exausted but she is also happy that she did it. I talked to the physical therapist at the hospital today because I wanted to know what I could do for her at home to help hopfully speed her recovery and the therapist said to not help her too much. If she has to go to the bathroom then make her get there herself, or brush her teeth, shower.

It's rough man, but now that she is home I feel much better because she feels much better...she is happy to be home. I felt so sad though when she apoligized for being a burden. She is not a burden. She is my wife, for better of for worse, in good times and in bad, till death do us part. I am thankful that the "till death do us part" is not where I am sitting at right now. Anything else I can deal with. This could have been worse.

Once again. Thank you all for your thoughts and your prayers. I take them in spirit and use them to give me the strength that I will need to see this thing through.

Peace out.
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:11 am 

you are in my prayers.

God, give them the strength they need.

amen.

you may also need to consider a consultation with an attorney as well ce.
i smell some legal problems here that are infriging on your wifes well being and possible outright survival.

and the frickin bushicons brag about the socalled great healthcare system we have. what a crock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CE...rooster has good advice. You might also contact the American Medical Association, and the corporation that owns the hospital where your wife was treated. Don't let anyone discourage you on that point. Go into "research mode" as you have the time and energy.

You also said in your first post that your wife had the "first shot." From that, I am assuming that she was scheduled to have more. Do you know what the original treatment procedure was going to be? If so, it might be important for you to know exactly what her doctors had wanted to do. It could add leverage to your case, along with all the information you can accumulate about the medication and the procedure. If you wife signed anything which had some very fine print on it, you will want to know that, too.

I know that your dear wife isn't elderly. But I helped look after my disabled mother for the last few months of her life and I found this site to be invaluable: http://www.helpguide.org/elder/caring_f ... givers.htm
Maybe it can be helpful to you and to your wife. Don't forget about yourself...eat right, exercise, and try to keep your spirits up.

Thinking of you and your brave spouse...

Catherine

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:33 am 

Wow! CE best wishes for your wife and yourself. I hope it all turns out with success!