It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are You Saved?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I thought I'd dedicate a new thread to a recently brought up topic of 'being saved.'

Quote:
Every single day, we choose to sin. If we continue in life as we are, we must be punished for our sin. God is righteous and holy and must punish sin and if we don’t do anything about all the sins we have committed, we will have to be punished for them in Hell. Therefore, we need to be rescued, or delivered, or saved from our sin so that we can be Heaven. ...

If I need to be without sin in order to be in God’s heaven, how is it ever possible? ...

This is the exact question that a jailor asked in a true story that is recorded in the Bible (Acts Chapter 16). The jailor was a man who knew that he was a sinner and realized that he needed the Lord Jesus Christ to save him and he asked the Apostle Paul, “What must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16:30). The Apostle Paul responded by saying, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.” (Acts 16:31). What a marvel that sinners such as ourselves can be made right with God. Through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work at the Cross of Calvary, a lost sinner is saved. The jailor was saved that night when he asked that question. ...

{And then, a personal "saving" experience:}
And I can say that I am saved. I have a specific time and place that I can look back to in my life experience when I was saved. I was a boy of nine years old and realized that I was a sinner. I recognized the fact that God would be right in sending me to Hell because of all the sins that I had committed. But it was at that time that a verse from Romans chapter 5 and verse 6 came to me this way, “Christ died for me the ungodly one!” And now I can say that I am saved! Are you saved?

http://www.areyousaved.com/bible_says.htm

I find it so amusing that you can spend your whole life sinning, and all you need to do in order to be saved is to believe in Jesus.
How exactly does that make up for all your sins, past and present?

And what about the people who believe in Jesus but aren't Christian?

Quote:
almost all forms of Christianity believe that those who are "saved" will have eternal life, the term "rapture" is usually applied specifically to the belief that Christians will be "taken" into Heaven at a specific moment. In accordance with the teaching of the Second Coming, when everyone accepts Jesus as their savior, he will return, and the Earth as we know it will end...and at that time only non-Christians will be left on the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture

Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:36 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

i managed to save myself from the torments of religion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:22 pm 

mga wrote:
i managed to save myself from the torments of religion.

Amen, brother. Same here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:39 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

ha...you're in the bible belt, lefty....it must be tough to be an atheist down there. you probably don't brag about it too much...lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMEN, BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

Long ago, I chose not to be intimidated by the old "TURN or BURN" sermon. As an Unbeliever, I have gained peace of mind, open-mindedness, and freedom.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:04 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:

Long ago, I chose not to be intimidated by the old "TURN or BURN" sermon. As an Unbeliever, I have gained peace of mind, open-mindedness, and freedom.

But i recently came to an epiphany. Atheism is hard. I used to have this naive bliss about the world that in the end i would see my mother again who was taken from me too soon. All of the handicapped people would be made normal, and all of the poor would be blessed. And now, i see the world for what it is, full of hate, poverty and disparity. The truth in this case really does hurt. This is it, this is all we have. Our short little lives on this small planet. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

nygreenguy wrote:
Catherine wrote:

But i recently came to an epiphany. Atheism is hard. I used to have this naive bliss about the world that in the end i would see my mother again who was taken from me too soon. All of the handicapped people would be made normal, and all of the poor would be blessed. And now, i see the world for what it is, full of hate, poverty and disparity. The truth in this case really does hurt. This is it, this is all we have. Our short little lives on this small planet. :cry:

Guess that's why so many people have to find something, anything, to believe in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Atheism is hard

It is indeed. It was brought home to me quite recently. My parents' deaths occurred very close together. I loved them both very, very much and I have often wished that I had the comfort of believing that I'd see them again "on the other side." My sister, who is also an atheist, and I have discussed many times this aspect of the awful feelings of emptiness and loss that we both grapple with daily. But to try to alleviate those feelings through belief in a supernatural deity isn't possible for either of us.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

nygreenguy wrote:
Atheism is hard.

I find it very easy and liberating not relying or believing in a "supernatural diety". The thing that gets annoying for me is all that crap about 'being saved.' LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! ...If you want to be saved, don't sin...ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How do you all respond when a Christian on a mission asks you if you're "saved?"

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:05 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
How do you all respond when a Christian on a mission asks you if you're "saved?"

just as i did before.

usually when i get people at the door such as mormons or jehova witnesses, i politely tell them i'm a staunch atheist and i wait for their next move. if they persist on talking about their god, i tell them politely that i'm trying to be nice and not rude towards them and that they should respect my non-beliefs as much as i respect their beliefs. most often they get the point and we then talk about the weather or something then they leave. however, on a rare occassion, i get one who views me as a "challenge" and tries to persist. it's at that point that since they have shown no respect for me, i show none back and let them know any way i can. now, if they want to stand there and listen to me mother f*ck them (using that language too) then they obviously feel some need to be punished....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:52 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

mga wrote:
now, if they want to stand there and listen to me mother f*ck them (using that language too) then they obviously feel some need to be punished....lol

haha

Catherine wrote:

When my grandmother kept sending me religious e'mails dealing with God and Bush, I asked her to stop, as I'm not religious. Her repsonse came with a few more e'mails, and the statement, "I'm not religious either, just saved." I told her that I'd rather not be saved than be there with her. ..she's not a nice person. :/
I love how some people believe in Jesus simply to be saved.

I've only had one door call, where they were very good at hiding exactly what they were doing and actually got my boyfriend to start filling out a survey for them...I laughed at him, as I never talk to people who come to my door, just tell them I don't want whatever they're here about and shut the door. He realized after a few questions what was going on and tossed the papers back to the guy and shut the door. They continued on around the complex.

The most experience I've had with this scenario, though, is while waitressing. Customers are always leaving some, "Are You Saved?" card, or "Find God, Find Yourself" crap. As long as they haven't left yet, I'll walk right back over to the person and hand the card back to them, telling them I don't need it, I'm happy without some fake god in my life.