It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog Hooked on Hallucinogens
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:32 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

10/31/2006 05:21 PM ID: 58027
Dog Hooked on Hallucinogens
The Mirsch family had concerns about their cocker spaniel after moving to a new home near a pond. Before the move Lady was a very energetic happy dog. After the move she would wander the yard with glassy eyes and a disoriented look.
After Lady refused to come in from her walk one night Laura Mirsch went looking for her. “She finally staggered over to me from the cattails.”
“She looked up at me, leaned her head over and opened her mouth like she was going to throw up, and out plopped this disgusting toad.” It seems that toad skin produces a chemical with hallucinogenic properties when licked and Lady was hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:35 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

reminds me of all the fairy tales about some princess kissing a toad then the toad turning into a prince. i wonder if that's what they were all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I've heard tell that reindeer "can fly" after eating amanita mushrooms...

never tried it myself... I try to keep all four paws on the ground, except of course, when pouncing on dinner...

:lol:

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:00 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Although I haven't done any real research on the topic, I've heard that some toads and frogs produce poison when licked or bit. ...

My dog has the same problem with going after them. There's tons of 'em around here, and she likes chasing 'em.
Yes my dog's a froghound, not a bloodhoud.
I have to keep an eye on her though, because she's bitten them quite a few times. Each time she does it, she shakes her head around for a bit because of the awful taste in her mouth. It usually takes a few hours to go away. They also dry her mouth out, and if she gets a lot of it in her mouth, she'll end up having one of her caughing attacks, which is no fun. She gets really scared and shaky because she can't breathe...the only thing I can do is to steam up the bathroom to help her breathe, then I usually give her a little milk afterwards. Needless to say, I keep an eye out for the toads. She doesn't like them, but she'lll chomp on 'em anyways. You'd think she'd learn :roll:

Anyways, if anyone does has info on whether toads and frogs release poisons I'd be interested...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

well, from past experience, i know that if you pick up a toad, they pee on your hand. learned that when i was a kid...lol however, greenies, the fast ones, don't...if you can catch them.

so, maybe when the dogs try to pick them up in their mouths the toads pee and this is what they get.