All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Group fires back Spectator claim they held Foley emails
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Group fires back Spectator claim they held Foley emails

RAW STORY
Published: Tuesday October 10, 2006

A non-profit group at the center of the Foley scandal has responded to a report in the American Spectator that it held and released the story for political gain by Democrats by issuing a summary of what they contend are media misrepresenations of the group's involvement.

A number of CREW's contentions can be verified as true. Others, at this point, cannot be verified or refuted.

The list, as released by CREW, follows:

#
LIE:

The email messages between Rep. Foley and a former page have been in CREW’s possession as far back as April.

FACT:

CREW received the emails on July 21, 2006 and promptly sent them to the FBI, and no one else, that same day. CREW did not discuss the email messages or their content with anyone else. The only call CREW’s Executive Director Melanie Sloan made regarding the matter was to the Washington FBI agent to whom she sent the emails to confirm receipt of the messages.

LIE:

CREW provided the FBI with incomplete information and heavily redacted emails. CREW refused to disclose the page’s name and contact information to the FBI.

FACT:

The emails Ms. Sloan sent to the FBI were not edited or redacted in any way. The page’s full name and email address were in the emails, as was the name and email address of the Congressional staffer to whom the page was sending the emails.

LIE:

The FBI investigation into Rep. Foley was hampered because CREW refused to comply with the agency’s request for additional information.

FACT:

After CREW sent the emails to the FBI, CREW’s only subsequent contact with the Bureau was one telephone call from the special agent to whom CREW had sent the material confirming that the emails were from Rep. Foley. CREW had no further contact with the FBI.

According to several government officials, the FBI sent the emails to three squads: a public corruptions squad, a criminal squad and a cyber-squad. After reviewing the matter, the FBI determined that there wasn't enough evidence at the time to suggest any criminal activity and did not move forward with an investigation.

LIE:

Fox News’ Sean Hannity said on October 5, 2006 that CREW had “been bragging about [the emails] on its website as early as July 21st.”

FACT:

CREW first posted the emails to www.citizensforethics.org on September 29, 2006, one day after ABC News reported them.

LIE:

CREW has been working with ABC on the Foley story and was reporter Brian Ross’ source for the emails.

FACT:

Ross told The New York Times he received the emails from Republicans. CREW was not involved in the broadcasting of his story. In fact, Ross didn’t even know that CREW had the emails until after he broke the story.

LIE:

Rep. Mark Foley resigned from Congress after CREW posted some of his email exchanges with a former page.

FACT:

Brian Ross has reported that Foley resigned hours after ABC questioned him about the sexually explicit internet messages.

LIE:

The blog Stop Sex Predators is owned and operated by CREW.

FACT:

CREW does not own, operate, or have any connection or involvement with the Stop Sex Predators blog. CREW first heard of the blog in media reports after the Foley scandal broke.

LIE:

One of CREW’s funders, George Soros, was behind the Foley scandal and has been directing CREW’s involvement in the case.

FACT:

George Soros had no knowledge that CREW had the Foley emails, nor does he have any input over CREW's day to day activities. CREW has not discussed the emails with any donors or Democratic operatives, strategists or staffers. All CREW did was send the messages to the FBI. After ABC broke the story, CREW posted the messages to its website.

LIE:

Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA) called CREW a “partisan 527 organization” on the October 8, 2006 edition of Fox News Sunday.

FACT:

CREW is a nonpartisan and nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.

LINK TO STORY

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm 

Isn't it weird how the republicans always paint themselves as the victim and NEVER take responsibility for their own actions. Personally, I don't see how wether or not CREW did or did not do anything with the emails has ANYTHING to do with the fact that FOLEY IS A PEDOPHILE. That is the fact of the matter. From there, the blame game has taken away from this GLARING fact. Foley is responsible for his actions, not exempt because he's checked himself into alcohol rehab--there are plenty of alcoholics that are NOT pedophiles. Doesn't matter that he was "molested" by a priest when he was a kid. Plenty of people experience similar without becoming a pedophile. Doesn't matter if he's a homosexual, because most all homosexuals are NOT sexual predators.

I am sick and tired of people using excuses for inexcusable behaviors. I dare to imagine how republicans would persecute anyone other than one of the fold for this same behavior. They need to learn to GROW UP. My five year old is more willing and able to accept responsibility for his actions than the LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:34 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

they're trying to say that because the pages are 16, they are not children, but young "men" and therefore foley is simply just a gay man attracted to younger men.

LOL!!!!!

when my boys were 16, let some 52 year old asshole try to solicit them...i would have visited him with a baseball bat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:06 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That was quite a list. ...And I totally agree Lefty.
lefty wrote:
the blame game has taken away from this GLARING fact. Foley is responsible for his actions
They're too busy pointing fingers right now. Is anything even being done right now in order to start the prosecution of this pedophile?..like perhaps, an arrest? Or is the rehab center the new safe haven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
I am sick and tired of people using excuses for inexcusable behaviors.

I'll go better then that. I am sick and tired of people making excuses for gay men, who solicited children. I am sick of people saying a priest that molests a boy is not a homosexual. If he were not he would be molesting girls.

You can be gay and still be a pedophile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...and you can be a pedophile and not be gay.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

hmmmm, if you are a male and molesting male children, then you are a gay pedophile. If you are a female molesting little girls then you are a gay pedophile.

If you are a male molesting girls then you are a pedophile. If you are a woman molesting boys then you are a pedophile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

...and being a pedophile means to also be a criminal. Right?

Foley hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell...talk about snared!
Unfortunately, the gay man is often grouped with the gay pedophile:

Quote:
....But, says psychologist James M. Cantor, at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto, there is no scientific evidence linking gay identity and pedophilia. That bears repeating: there is no evidence that gay men are more likely to be attracted to or to molest underage boys. Cantor suggests that the Christian right's consistent depictions of "homosexuals" as pedophiles—the same stand the Family Research Council is currently taking—relies on "mere sophistry." To generate these claims, right-wing researchers simply refer to a man who has molested boys as homosexual.

Foley is, however, something of an exception. Most men who molest boys are almost exclusively sexually interested in children or teens. Foley, however, had a "longtime companion"—a Palm Beach doctor—whose existence was essentially an open secret in the political world. It is impossible to know the nature of that relationship, partly because it has been treated like a skeleton in Foley's closet.

Were people less afraid to discuss adult homosexuality under normal circumstances, and less titillated by the fact that Foley's young targets were male, the situation might be much better for pages. Foley's inappropriate attention might have been addressed sooner, because harassing teenage girls is, alas, less newsworthy (unless you're Bill Clinton, whom Foley voted to impeach). And, as a corollary, perhaps there would be more productive dialogue about the female pages who have undoubtedly received unwanted attention from Congressmen on both sides of the aisle.

LINK

FACTS ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY AND CHILD MOLESTATION

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:53 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

LOL, I understand all that Cat. I understand you can be gay and not be a pedophile. The point I was attempting to make was a person that is molesting children of their own gender in my opinion is gay otherwise they would be molesting children of the other gender.

Of course being a pedophile is a crime, that goes without question. Sorry if you thought I was defending the scum bag I was not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:23 am 

this story is only going to get more interesting as time rolls on.

for me i'm more interested in getting past the slam dunk case against foley so we can get to the real issue that demands a full scale congressional investigation............that being the coverup by gop leaders in order to maintain thier grip on power at any cost.

no matter how the ax falls foleys head will end up in the bloody bucket of final justice. get past it already.

the coverup is the biggger issue here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
that being the coverup by gop leaders in order to maintain thier grip on power at any cost.

You're so correct, rooster.

However, the general public and the msm are more interested in the sexual overtones of the story.

The people within the GOP who let it go on and tried to cover up Foley's activities should indeed be punished with Foley. Yet, they may be allowed to get away, practically unscathed.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:12 am 

the general public may well be more interested in the sexual side of the story cath, but i bettin the dems are layin back until they're sworn in come january.

can't wait to see the dems push the plunger down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe the Democrats are actually glad the msm and general public are focusing on the sexual side. It could allow them to quietly go about gathering the evidence that will be needed to show how the GOP's coverup allowed Foley to operate as long as he did...but they'll definitely have more authority AFTER they're sworn into office in January.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:46 am 

that's kinda the way i'm thinkin too cath. i guessin the dems have a huge mountain of potentially damaging info/evidence on this current garbage that occupies the oval office. i'm also thinkin that they will gain access to some more damaging info that they've been previously deniede access to as a result of being the minority. once they're sworn in they'll be able to view some things that i think are going to scare the living shit out of the gop.

they're biding thier time quite cleverly i think.

i'm also betting that gop paper shredders and ink blotters are working 24/7 to classify or eliminate as much incriminating evidence as possible before the january swear in of the dems.

i'd say the gop leaders are probably extremely nervous.

the carngage that leaves them in ruin for perhaps years will be a sweet thing to observe.

pass the popcon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:34 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I am also thinking that is much more to this then was let on.