It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:20 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Jobot, you are missing the point and taking the comments personal and they are not. They have nothing to do with what you are doing. We are discussing a possibility of what could happen.

Since you are a participant in the discussion I am asking for your input. If military service were obligated, meaning a law was passed that required everybody to go into the service, what would you consider a alternative to that other then jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:20 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

So if people are already involved in some type of community service, forced or not, then are they excluded from mandatory volunteer work?

Mandatory volunteer work. How Ironic.

DarkKnight2 wrote:
We are living in a country that is free.

Then nobody should be forced to do something. We're free, right?

I'm not saying people shouldn't be doing volunteer work...I'm just saying you shouldn't be making them do it.

Volunteer:
"a person who serves in a community primarily because he chooses to do so."
"a person who performs a service willingly"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My last response on the first page was in response to Cat's post, not yours DK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

So people should not have to do anything. Reap all the benifits of living in the US and when asked to do something to help the country out refuse.

If military service were obligated what do you think would be a alternative to that service.

Quote:
So if people are already involved in some type of community service, forced or not, then are they excluded from mandatory volunteer work?

I would have to say yes to that. They would be excluded as long as they continued with the service. Let's say the obligation was for two years. If that person had already been doing the service for two years then they would have no obligation at all. If they had only been doing it for 6 months, then another 1 and 6 months would be required. Would that be fair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:45 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

DarkKnight2 wrote:
So people should not have to do anything. Reap all the benifits of living in the US and when asked to do something to help the country out refuse.

You're not asking them to do it. You want to make them.
With that, is this really the free US anymore?
....and why is it so necessary to make everyone serve, especially now?..why would anyone want to?..why do we need to?

TheStripey1 wrote:
I think we should have MANDATORY MILITARY SERVICE so there'll be no more chickenhawkscum...
EVERYONE will then know what it's like to be IN the military instead of just those that actually ARE patriotic... :evil:

If they're forced to serve, are they now patriotic?

DarkKnight2 wrote:
If that is your opinion you are entiled to it.

My opinion is that people should not be forced to volunteer.

DarkKnight2 wrote:
But, you still have not answered the question. The question is.
If military service were obligated what do you think would be a alternative to that service.

If military service were obligated, you would have to serve in the military. Alternative services, "volunteer" work, etc., isn't a military service... Those alternative choices would never happen.
Why should I come up with some stupid answer for a situation that'll NEVER, EVER happen. Military service being mandatory, but instead, you can just do some type of community service?...I don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:06 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
Americans have outgrown the sense of volunteerism that was more evident during the Kennedy era...and even beyond. They have become much more selfish in the last six years than ever before, though.. IMO.

Maybe the reason why people are outgrowing the sense of volunteerism is because they haven't been shown that the government cares about their service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:10 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
Why should I come up with some stupid answer for a situation that'll NEVER, EVER happen. Military service being mandatory, but instead, you can just do some type of community service?...I don't think so.

What makes you so positive that it will not ever happen?

Quote:
Maybe the reason why people are outgrowing the sense of volunteerism is because they haven't been shown that the government cares about their service.

What has the government got to do with somebody volunteering to work at a homeless shelter or a hospital?

You say you don't want the government telling you what to do and yet that happens everyday of the week.

You pay taxes, you have to obey traffic laws, you have to obey laws of the land, there are zoning laws for building, there are laws about what you can and cannot do. There are all kinds of things that the government tells you what you can and cannot do.

Quote:
You're not asking them to do it. You want to make them.

Well nobody is asking you to obey traffic laws. Your being told that the speed limit is 65 mph if you go faster you could get a ticket or even go to jail.

Your being told that you just can not go out and murder somebody, if you do your going to go to jail

If you do not pay your taxes you could go to jail
If you do not pay your house payment you live in the street.
If you don't do what your boss tells you to do you don't work

Quote:
Why should I come up with some stupid answer

I did not ask you to come up with a stupid answer. I asked for a intelligent answer to a hypothetical situation. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:35 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes, you asked me to come up with an answer to a hypothetical question...a hypothetical question that will never happen! Why will it never happen you ask? Because the government would never allow it to happen.!!

I thought we were talking about military volunteering, as you so conveniently reminded me. So why are traffic laws, house payments, and work rules being applied now?

If you're drafted into the military, the only option that is ever going to be made available is going into the military. !! There is never, ever, ever, going to be a "community service" option available instead.
It is quite a delusional thought if you think otherwise.

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Your being told that the speed limit is 65 mph...

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Your being told that you just can not go out and murder somebody...

I'm not one to nitpick about bad grammar, punctuation, etc. ..I often make mistakes in my hurried responses too.
However, it simply annoys me that I keep seeing YOUR, not YOU'RE.

Please!

Again I ask you...
...why is it so necessary to make everyone serve, especially now?
..why would anyone want to?
..why do we need to?
..why is is so necessary that everyone be "patriotic" and serve?

This is not personal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:38 pm 

Please see my response to DK's question about invasion...this would apply there as well, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

If you think it would never happen, please read this post made by King Fisher.

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=25809#25809

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:06 pm 

DarkKnight2 wrote:
Americans have freedoms because some people are willing to put their lives on the line so we can enjoy them. If the country asks for something in return why not? As I said in another post. If people do not want to shoot that is fine, there are many jobs that are available without firing a gun or even holding a weapon.

Medics, clerks, cooks etc. There could be a community service organization in each large city. People could go there and be given jobs to do. Directing traffic, policing parks, many things.

President Kennedy said it well.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but, what you can do for your country"

What if the government decided to stop all student loans, instead of giving students loans told them that once the schooling was over, they owed xxxx amount of service to the government. How about those that are getting food stamps and welfare having to do some type of community service to receive them.

I did not say to send everybody off to a war. I said that everybody should do some type of military service. I then amended that to some type of service.

Do you see a problem with even community service?

That is a good idea... if the Department of Peace ever gets off the ground , I would like to see college incentive for that... of course they'd only do that for volunteers probably, not draftees.

http://www.cafepress.com/bootthepnac