It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: New rules in the Religion Forum
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:20 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
Anyone may start a thread about any religious topic and open it for discussion. Likewise, anyone may post a reply to any religious topic being discussed. Just follow the basic forum rules when posting in this section.

Preaching, selling of religious articles or soliciting any religious products or any certain form of religion will be deleted. If you want to preach, go to church, if you want to sell something, rent a store in the mall....it won't happen here.

_________________
land of the living dead


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New rules in the Religion Forum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:55 am
Posts: 8
Location: London
mga wrote:
Anyone may start a thread about any religious topic and open it for discussion. Likewise, anyone may post a reply to any religious topic being discussed. Just follow the basic forum rules when posting in this section.

Preaching, selling of religious articles or soliciting any religious products or any certain form of religion will be deleted. If you want to preach, go to church, if you want to sell something, rent a store in the mall....it won't happen here.


Lol - Very well put.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:01 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1955
Location: upstate new york.
no problem.....

_________________
land of the living dead


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Dark Side of the Moon/upstate NY
Does that include preaching that atheist are right? Making fun of those that do believe by implying that they are wrong? How about ridiculing those that believe?

Open discussion is great, as long as it is done with the entent of gaining knowledge and exchanging ideas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:00 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
DarkKnight2 wrote:
Does that include preaching that atheist are right? Making fun of those that do believe by implying that they are wrong? How about ridiculing those that believe?



How about ridiculing those that don't believe?

It goes both ways.


If somebody ridicules me for not believing in "god" and oh, I dunno, maybe says something like "Well, at least I'm not going to hell," I might give 'em crap by arguing with them for a bit, but I'm not gonna go off and cry or take it seriously. I'm gonna laugh at 'em 'cause they're stupid and wrong. ..Just like they think I'm stupid and wrong...oh!..and don't forget, going to hell.

Who cares?

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:36 am 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
FYI DK, this is what started the "Christian bashing" in the "god" thread.

Quote:
But the second someone make a statement claiming god, or any religion is credible or true, it should be thrown out.


...you took that as a personal insult, when really, he was stating a fact.
Give us evidence that god or religion are credible and true, and nothing like that'll be said again.


...I think it's pretty petty that the "silencing" technique is being used, simply because you don't like what's being said.

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 am 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Dark Side of the Moon/upstate NY
Feel whatever you want. The thread stays locked and if I see any other threads that are what I consider bashing another religion simply for the fact of bashing I will lock those threads also.

I stay out of the religion forum for obvious reasons, but, when threads are started simply to poke fun at or imply those that believe are ignorant then they are unproductive and have no business being discussed.

To start a thread simply to bitch about something you do not like or believe in is wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 am 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
DarkKnight2 wrote:
To start a thread simply to bitch about something you do not like or believe in is wrong.



If that's why you feel the thread was started, then maybe you should have closed the thread to begin with, and not joined in the discussion. :!:


You're also overlooking one main point, DK. ..We were talking about the fact that "god" shouldn't be taught in school because it's not a proven fact. It's a belief.

Prove us wrong.

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:49 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 364
Location: Syracuse, Ny
Quote:
To start a thread simply to bitch about something you do not like or believe in is wrong.
But if I was to start a thread on how our reasons to go to iraq were wrong, is that bad?

What if i have a thread that shows how conservatism is harmful to america? Is that bad?

If someone says something that is factually correct, how can it ever be wrong?

Or is it just if someone says something you personally dont like, it becomes wrong?

_________________
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead." -- THOMAS PAINE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:13 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Posts: 990
Location: Dark Side of the Moon/upstate NY
Quote:
But if I was to start a thread on how our reasons to go to iraq were wrong, is that bad?

What if i have a thread that shows how conservatism is harmful to America? Is that bad?



Those statements are neither right nor wrong. They are your opinions.

When you discuss religion those are your opinions but, when you or anyone else goes to the point of saying "I don't give a shit if I offend anyone" then that is taking it to another level. That is making in my opinion personal. Now it is no longer a discussion about why God should not be allowed in school, but, how can I piss them off more.

You can have intelligent and good discussion with going to another level. If somebody cannot discuss a topic without resorting to comments such as those, then they should stay out of conversations.

Regardless this topic is about rules of the Religious forum and we are not discussing the rules of the forum.

The topic has been unlocked. Some members might want to think as to why there is no discussion in this forum. When those that believe other then some are made to feel that their belief is ridiculous. With the limited number of members that are posting you should consider what other members of the forum believe. We are suppose to be a small community. Members all think differently we should ALL respect each other's opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:33 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 364
Location: Syracuse, Ny
Quote:
When you discuss religion those are your opinions but,
No, I can list a ton of facts about religion. I can factually say the earth wasnt created in six days. I can factually say that the great flood never happened, etc...

Thos wouldnt be wrong I would assume.

_________________
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead." -- THOMAS PAINE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:53 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
DarkKnight2 wrote:
When you discuss religion those are your opinions but, when you or anyone else goes to the point of saying "I don't give a shit if I offend anyone" then that is taking it to another level. That is making in my opinion personal. Now it is no longer a discussion about why God should not be allowed in school, but, how can I piss them off more.


Yes, DK, that's exactly what I was thinking...How can I piss them off more?
It couldn't have possibly just meant "I don't care if I piss them off," simple as that, could it?

jobot wrote:
A virgin having a baby. psssh
...And my dog can fly

nygreenguy wrote:
ssshh...dont say that! Youll insult the christians!!!

jobot wrote:
Like I give a shit.
lol


You're right.
I couldn't have possibly been saying that I simply don't care if I insulted people by saying a virgin couldn't have a baby. ..I was just trying to piss people off.

Thanks for straitening me out. I have a hard time knowing just exactly what I'm thinking.

...BTW...that last statedment was trying to piss you off. :D

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:27 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 364
Location: Syracuse, Ny
Sorry, just wanted to add, you said the other thing i said were "just opinions"

Well, what really makes an opinion, just an opinion? Well, by definition, opinions are not always factual or even based upon facts. Anytime I say something, I wont say it unless I can prove it, or at the very least justify it. So I really would go so far to call it an opinion. Just my 2 cents. :?

_________________
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead." -- THOMAS PAINE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:30 pm 
Offline
Hear Me Roar!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:50 pm
Posts: 364
Location: Syracuse, Ny
jobot wrote:

You're right.
I couldn't have possibly been saying that I simply don't care if I insulted people by saying a virgin couldn't have a baby. ..I was just trying to piss people off.

Thanks for straitening me out. I have a hard time knowing just exactly what I'm thinking.

...BTW...that last statedment was trying to piss you off. :D


So, im curious, are you saying that you dont care if it angers other people if you pass off ideas that are totally absurd?

If something is legitimatly an absurd statement, by fact, not opinion, is it wrong to call it as such? Is it wrong to not care about people who get upset if you call it as such?

Im just really trying to understand what is right, and what is wrong here.

_________________
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead." -- THOMAS PAINE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:39 pm 
Offline
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 am
Posts: 838
Location: Florida
nygreenguy wrote:
So, im curious, are you saying that you dont care if it angers other people if you pass off ideas that are totally absurd?


What did I say that was absurd?


nygreenguy wrote:
If something is legitimatly an absurd statement, by fact, not opinion, is it wrong to call it as such? Is it wrong to not care about people who get upset if you call it as such?


If something is an absurd fact, you can get called on it, because it can be proven false. If an opinion is absurd, well, then that's a difference of opinion between two people.
If somebody gets upset over what somebody else says, that's their problem.
I'm not sure if you're asking me a general question or asking me about caring if I offened somebody specific.

_________________
"I may detest what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Blue Moon by Trent © 2007
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group