It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should UW-Whitewater Cancel Controversial Speaker?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/4223530/detail.html?treets=mil&tid=2653693285813&tml=mil_12pm&tmi=mil_12pm_1_12000202232005&ts=H#

Ward Churchill is known for past comments comparing World Trade Center victims to Nazis.

The Republican-controlled Assembly passed a resolution Monday asking that the UW-Whitewater cancel Churchill's appearance.

Post subject: Views ...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:35 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I don't always agree with another person's views, but I think they have a right to them and to share them with those who wish to listen. Also, one has to be careful that things don't get taken / used out of context.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Churchill is censored, then we're all censored.

1st Amendment rights are about all of us.

These people who are calling for Churchill's speech to be canceled need to understand that they are not talking about someone else's rights, but their own rights as well. Everyone loses when censorship occurs.

Catherine

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject: Yes ..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:16 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Indeed!

---

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing."
Thomas Jefferson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."
Edmund Burke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

Benjamin Franklin

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276

The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure.

Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. ME 15:491

The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public papers... [A despotic] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army of newswriters who, without any regard to truth or to what should be like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the ministers.

Thomas Jefferson to G. K. van Hogendorp
Oct. 13, 1785. (*) ME 5:181, Papers 8:632

What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance.

Thomas Jefferson

The true barriers of our liberty in this country are our state governments...

Thomas Jefferson

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law," because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce: with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected.

Publius (Madison)

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. We hold this prudent jealousy to be the first duty of citizens and one of the noblest characteristics of the late Revolution. The freemen of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise and entangled the question in precedents. They saw all the consequences in the principle, and they avoided the consequences by denying the principle. We revere this lesson too much ... to forget it.

James Madison

Anarchism is a tendency in the history of human thought and action which seeks to identify coercive, authoritarian, and hierarchic structures of all kinds and to challenge their legitimacy -- and if they cannot justify their legitimacy, which is quite commonly the case, to work to undermine them and expand the scope of freedom.

Noam Chomsky

In the United States we value security more than freedom.

Hugh Daniels

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'

Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.

George Bernard Shaw, Liberty

Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

Richard Childers

The antidote for misuse of freedom of speech is more freedom of speech.

Molly Ivans

Etc --