It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Penalty for opening gifts early: arrest!!?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

This is a pretty odd story that shows some people need to learn to relax a little. Sometimes, a minor problem gets out of hand. I think this sure is a case of it. I think that having someone just talk to the family would help --- and it sounds like they need a good counsellor.

Quote:
http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/9901.html

Penalty for unwrapping gifts early: Arrest
After boy, 12, hides his Game Boy, his mom calls police
By Monica Chen ยท The Herald - Updated 12/05/06 - 12:50 AM

A mother convinced Rock Hill police to arrest her 12-year-old son after he unwrapped a Christmas present early.

The boy's great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his Nintendo Game Boy Advance, which she had wrapped and placed beneath the Christmas tree, according to a police report.

But on Sunday morning, she found the box of the popular handheld game console unwrapped and opened. When the boy's 27-year-old mother heard about the opened gift, she called police.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," said the 63-year-old great-grandmother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My parents used to hide our presents in the attic. My sister and I'd climb up there and play with them before they were placed under the tree on Christmas Eve....unwrapped, just as Santa would've brought them. I was about 9 when Mom caught us a few days before Christmas. She was devestated as she thought we still believed in Santa! We were upset because we thought she knew we didn't believe, and from the guilt of making our mother cry.

Thank goodness she didn't have us arrested! :roll:

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:50 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
My parents used to hide our presents in the attic. My sister and I'd climb up there and play with them before they were placed under the tree on Christmas Eve....unwrapped, just as Santa would've brought them. I was about 9 when Mom caught us a few days before Christmas. She was devestated as she thought we still believed in Santa! We were upset because we thought she knew we didn't believe, and from the guilt of making our mother cry.

Thank goodness she didn't have us arrested! :roll:

Sometimes, I think that people get too caught up in possessions or even in their opinions to see what really matters. Family is more important than any gift. I just hope that this family gets some help. We have to remember what unites us is far more important than what divides us.

Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
We have to remember what unites us is far more important than what divides us.

So true!

There are divisions within any community. A family, a classroom, and even a discussion board are types of communities. Families, classrooms, and discussion boards have goals and often there will be flare-ups and brushfires that have to be put out by those members of the community who truly care.

Whether it's parents, teachers, or board mods and admins, if we all concentrated on what unites us rather than what divides us, we might all get along better and our goals would be reached much faster.

If the mother of this child who took his Christmas present early had asked herself why did her son do this, within the context of the holiday, she might have reacted differently. She might have had a good time with her son, talking to him about why he took the gift, and the importance of trust. Now, though, the child will remember that he was arrested at the age of 12 for taking his own Christmas present and opening it early.

Not a good way to establish open, productive dialogue between the parent and a child just about to enter those difficult teen years.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman