It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CONTENDERS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

THIS IS A THREAD in which news and information can be posted about 2008 Democratic Presidential Contenders. As always, please post links to the sources for the information.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Catherine on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

POSSIBLE DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES:

SEN.HILLARY CLINTON

SEN. BARACK OBAMA

SEN. RUSS FEINGOLD

FORMER SEN. TOM DASCHLE

SEN. JOE BIDEN

SEN. CHRIS DODD

SEN. EVAN BAYH

WESLEY CLARK

SEN. JOHN KERRY

MARK WARNER

PHIL BREDESEN

FORMER SENATOR JOHN EDWARDS

DENNIS KUCINICH

GOV. TOM VILSACK

GOV. MIKE EASLEY

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Catherine on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FEINGOLD RULES OUT BID FOR PRESIDENCY

U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold has decided against seeking the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, saying he wanted to focus on his work in the Senate.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:07 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Bidens Presidential Bid site: http://uniteourstates.com/

He said on Bill Maher he is going to run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:58 pm 
A lot more names jump out from this list than the R one. There are several viable names on this list, and I think the comp for the D nomination will be a spirited one. Its looking--right now, anyways--that the D nominee for Pres in 08 will be the favorite to win. The most controversial figure is HRC. I'm not sure if she'd help, or hurt, the Ds chances in 08. Edwards and Obama kind of stick out, to me, due to their newness and aura of integrity. I think Edwards is less affected by the loss in 04 than Kerry, and indeed, I think his stock has risen since then. Obama comes off as a very well-spoken person, and is very marketable. They could both run as 'outsiders', to a degree, and America might be ready for a new face/name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

How about a Gore/Obama ticket?

I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.

~~ Socrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:40 am 

Darn I hate these Senior moments.

Gov. of New Mexico? Richardson?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:53 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

dori wrote:
Darn I hate these Senior moments.

Gov. of New Mexico? Richardson?

Bill Richardson. You can read a bit more about him at Image.

He may be to DLC for some, but he does bring a resume that includes 14 years in Congress and extensive foreign policy experience, including serving as the U.S. ambassador to the U.N. He also was secretary of energy.

Richardson is Hispanic, and could bring more Hispanic voters to the Democratic party and may make the Southwest a competetive region.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:45 am 

Thank you will. I talk regularly with a friend in Texas who is an FDR Democrat and proud of it! She brought the Hispanic angle into the conversation.

She has steadfastly adhered to the idea we need to bring more people into the voting booth, and Richardson would do that. I don't care for the DLC, but care less for having Rs win elections--especially those BIG ONES!

We do have to address the south, and someone NOT from the northeast would do that. Personally I am a northeast liberal and hate it when she keeps saying we need to represent people from the less liberal areas of the country.

Well, we either have to do that, or do a better job of selling liberal values...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:53 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I like Richardson too. He comes across as a nice clean face, soft spoken.

I think the big picture is important though, no matter who you are considering for the leadership of the Democrats and potential contender for the top job.

The media ( the enemy ) has done a great job over the past couple of decades or so of making liberals look bad; even unAmerican. That is really a sad commentary in my opinion. It is as if the message they are trying to get across is that the Republicans are the group of people suited to lead a country like America. The institution of war aids in this propagnda effort.

So, in consideration of the above, what is required is a candidate that can overcome these kinds of hurdles and to try and connect with the people. I guess it would almost be like trying to change the mind of a teenager; someone with their own ideas about things and not wanting to listen to anybody or take advice. I think that is the kind of situation we have gotten ourselves into here. The people are simply brainwashed into thinking that there is something wrong with the Democratic Party. The country has become more conservative so the propaganda says so I bellieve you have to find someone that can finesse this political challenge. I have no idea who that is right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Democratic congressman plans another presidential bid

CLEVELAND (CNN) -- Rep. Dennis Kucinich, an Ohio Democrat who ran for president in 2004, will announce a second presidential run Tuesday in Cleveland, Kucinich's spokeswoman tells CNN.

Kucinich is set to forgoe a presidential exploratory committee and announce an official run at Cleveland's City Hall tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. ET, according to spokesman Andy Juniewicz

link

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:30 am 

i ran the same ticket through my mind as stripey did gore/obama.

i think personally that's one that would be pretty tough to beat.

hillary.........while i personally love her style at the same time i think that too many democrats feel that she is going to be unelectable vs most gopers with one exception.............prochoice/liberal rudy guliani. hillary would be the republicans top choice for an opponent and they are presently salivating and praying to thier hypocritical version of god in thier desperate hope that she'll be the dems choice.

strategically i think the dems will wait until they see what type instead of who specifically will be the gop nominee. unfortunately for them they have the ugly prospect of having to have thier convention 1st in 08 and it will give the dems time to counterpunch if neccessary.

gore actually did win the 00 election vs bush and if he put together the same type of campaign along with the rock star status of obama i betting it would be a ticket that the neocons would fear the most.

sorry hillary........i would support ya in die hard fashion but i gotta go with who i think will beat the neocons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 pm 

2008.. The winner is.. Bill Richardson.. I have said for the past ten months, Gov. Bill Richardson is another Bill Clinton, and should run and be the President of the United States..

But????. read this.. and would you guess who said it... None other than "armpit of American guy."

Tom Delay just wants so badly to remain politically relevant. Instead, he just looks pathetic and caught up in so much projection and denial that one almost feels sorry for him. Almost.

Ousted House Majority Leader Tom DeLay predicted yesterday that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton will win the presidency in 2008 - and that Barack Obama would likely be the vice president.

The Houston-area Republican insisted a vast left-wing conspiracy - comprised of liberal groups like MoveOn.org, bloggers and the mainstream media - would propel Clinton to the presidency.

"Hillary will be the next president of the United States because they have built a coalition," DeLay told the conservative magazine Human Events during a luncheon with conservative bloggers hosted by the magazine and the Heritage Foundation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:48 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Tom Delay is just trying to remain relevant by stirring up what is remaining of the Republican base. He is fearmongering them into action by threatening them with the dreaded Hillary.

As far as Bill Richardson goes, I have always liked the guy. I would give serious consideration to voting for him in the Democratic primary, if he would back off on Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush globalization (read shipping our jobs overseas) so-called free trade bullshit. I don't think he'll do that.

I'm looking for someone to stand up in the Democratic party against the highway robbery that is now referred to as free trade in 2008. That person will have the inside track for my vote.

Post subject: OFFICIALS: EDWARDS TO ENTER 2008 RACE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OFFICIALS: EDWARDS TO ENTER 2008 RACE

WASHINGTON Dec 16, 2006 (AP)— Former Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards intends to enter the 2008 race for the White House, two Democratic officials said Saturday.

Edwards, who represented North Carolina in the Senate for six years, plans to make the campaign announcement late this month from the New Orleans neighborhood hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina last year and slow to recover from the storm.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not want to pre-empt Edwards' announcement.

As Edwards enters the crowded field, the Lower Ninth Ward provides a stark backdrop to highlight his signature issue that economic inequality means that the country is divided into "two Americas."

Edwards also plans to travel from New Orleans through the four early presidential nominating states Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina as part of an announcement tour between Christmas and New Year's Day.

READ MORE HERE

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman