It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Did You Get a Flu Shot?
YES...wouldn't go through the winter without one 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
NO...I'll risk it 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Not yet, but I'm Going To.. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: POLL: DID YOU GET A FLU SHOT?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you get a flu shot? If not, are you going to get one?

My 10 year old granddaughter, who lives about a 90 minute drive from me, has the flu. She was diagnosed Wednesday, and the household has to take Tamiflu, which was quite expensive for the five people who were prescribed the medicine. Better than the flu, though!

I talked to my granddaughter this evening and she's been able to hold down some gingerale and a bite or two of cheese toast. That's some progress.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:32 pm 

No insurance for me, so we pretty much don't get to use the doctor for anything.

My son had the flu last year and he lost so much weight it was scary, I think it took all of 2 weeks before he was even half himself again. I would so much rather myself be sick than him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's scary, lefty...no insurance, and I'm sure you worry about it a lot. Watch that baby of yours...apparently the flu is rampant in parts of the South. I'm glad schools are closed for the holidays. Maybe that will help curb its spread.

I had the flu in 2002...it was horrible. It hit me like a ton of bricks. One minute I'm getting ready for a regular day at school, and the next, I'm aching so badly that my husband has to help me out of the bathroom and back into bed. Chills, fever, throwing up, sore throat, headache....I was in bed for 5 days...I swear, my hair hurt. Only thing is, I'd had the flu shot that year...and I got the flu. I've not had the flu since, nor have I had a flu shot.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:57 pm 
Involved
Involved

I don't have insurance. Although my doctor did try to "push" one on me much like a salesmen would push you buying an insurance policy on your cd player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jesse wrote this in his blog today:

Quote:
When 62 Million People Die Remember This

All of a sudden scientists are warning us that a flu pandemic can kill as many as 62 million people. They are talking about a scenario if a flu similar to that of the Spanish Flu hits big.

So if and when 62 million people drop dead please keep this in mind…the Bush administration took it upon themselves to resurrect the Spanish flu. Why? Good question. Maybe we are just now finding out.

Also remember the silly crazy people like me who warned you about the issues surrounding secret world governments and secret agendas like population reduction. Then again…maybe you won’t be around to remember anything! Think about it! – Jesse, Editor, TvNewsLIES.org

REFERENCE:

Global flu pandemic would probably kill 62m, study says - Around 62 million people in the world are likely to die if there is a flu pandemic and more than 70,000 of those deaths will be in the UK, according to a statistical analysis published today.”

Resurrecting 1918 Flu Virus Took Many Turns - It took a lot of digging to bring back to life the Spanish influenza virus of 1918. Some was done with invisible molecular primers in a PCR machine in Rockville. Some was done with pick and shovel in the frozen ground of Alaska. - Either way, it was a huge amount of work on a project whose chance of success at the start seemed very, very slim. Now, it will go down as one of the most astonishing technical feats in the history of science — the viral equivalent of bringing dinosaurs back in the fictional “Jurassic Park.”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/stor ... 58,00.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00932.html

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:17 pm 
Involved
Involved

Its still a crap shoot. The flu shot you get is actually only good for one particular strain of flu. There can be many out. The CDC tries to guess which one will be the most problematic and makes the vaccine to that one. That doesn't mean not to bother with the shot just that its still possible to get the shot and get sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:44 pm 

Absolutely NOT! And please , PLEASE do NOT give flu shots at all to toddlers or younger.

Many of today's flu vaccines contain thimerosal (mercury)

http://www.cafepress.com/bootthepnac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:36 pm 
Speaking My Mind
Speaking My Mind

Nope, haven't and won't the flu is not something to get that worried about, even the bird flu.

Even the 1918 pandemic only killed approximately 1.6% of those who caught it and not everybody even caught it. New examinations from rural regions of Turkey and Thailand have shown that in regions where fatalities(usually only one or two of them) were reported literally thousands of people were exposed and hundreds caught the Avian Flu but suffered symptoms no worse than normal instances of Flu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I had the flu, I didn't go to the doctor. Took Tylenol for pain and fever, stayed in a guest bedroom that is away from the main part of the house, drunk fluids when I could....and slept.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:55 pm 

Does anyone recall that Bush said if there is a pandemic, it will be handled by the military, not by the CDC?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:59 am 

dori wrote:
Does anyone recall that Bush said if there is a pandemic, it will be handled by the military, not by the CDC?

Bushie's puppeteers have thought of every excuse possible to get rid of Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... _Outbreaks

'...War on Bird Flu
"Whenever the world is not to his liking, President Bush has a tendency to turn to the military to make it better. The most prominent example is the country's response to 9/11, complete with wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. After Hurricane Katrina, Bush belatedly called on the military to assist in securing New Orleans, and has since suggested that Congress should consider empowering the military to be the first responders in any national disaster," George J. Annas wrote in the October 8, 2005, Boston Globe. "On Tuesday, the president suggested that the United States should confront the risk of a bird flu pandemic by giving him the power to use the US military to quarantine 'part[s] of the country' experiencing an 'outbreak.'"

"So we have moved quickly in the past month, at least metaphorically, from the global war on terror to a proposed war on hurricanes, to a proposed war on the bird flu." ...'

http://www.cafepress.com/bootthepnac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:21 am 

Great link yank! Read all about it!!!

Quote:
Use of Military: Articles & Commentary
"Domestic Military Role Under Review," CBS News, June 20, 2002.

Army Regulation 210–35. Installations. Civilian Inmate Labor Program, Headquarters, Department of the Army, Washington, DC, January 14, 2005: "This regulation provides guidance for establishing and managing civilian inmate labor programs on Army installations. It provides guidance on establishing prison camps on Army installations. It addresses recordkeeping and reporting incidents related to the Civilian Inmate Labor Program and/or prison camp administration."

Jennifer Loven, "Bush considers using military against avian flu outbreak," Associated Press (USA Today), October 4, 2005.

"Bush military bird flu role slammed," CNN, October 5, 2005: "A call by President George W. Bush for Congress to give him the power to use the military in law enforcement roles in the event of a bird flu pandemic has been criticized as akin to introducing martial law."

David Brown, "Military's Role in a Flu Pandemic. Troops Might Be Used to 'Effect a Quarantine,' Bush Says," Washington Post, October 5, 2005.
Mike Whitney, "Martial Law and the advent of the Supreme Executive," uruknet, October 6, 2005.

Further links at yank's link site.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid