It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It is to bad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - A man doused himself with flammable liquid and set himself afire, apparently to protest a school district’s decision to change the names of winter and spring breaks to Christmas and Easter vacation.

The man suffered first degree burns on his shoulders and arms on Friday, Fire Department Capt. Garth Milam said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16340077/

To bad he had to burn himself. Well done to the school. People are beginning to get fed up with being PC. I saw a Nativity scene in the city park where I live today. I sent a letter to the city, saying well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:05 pm 

I know pleanty of people who would have set him on fire gladly. They can take NO differing from their own views.

I have no problem with being sensitive to other people's beliefs. If that is PC so be it. Guess I am a PC kind of person.

I know so many truly good people who have very differing beliefs. I can not dismiss any of them because they believe differently than I do.

Sensitivity to others beliefs is what 'freedom of religion' is about, isn't it?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:22 pm 

It certainly is. Not everyone is a Christian. And what's wrong with Winter and Spring? I know that at our schools here, Spring break doesn't coincide with Easter holidays.

Oh well, its weird that he did that though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't mind seeing symbols of the season, wherever they happen to be, and whatever they happen to be. They don't bother me at all.

America is made up of a great variety of people who have many beliefs regarding religion and religious observances. I don't see why those symbols can't be tolerated, even if they're not what an individual believes.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:27 pm 

I would like to see representation from different religions though. We have so many religions in this country, it just seems right that we represent as many as wished to be represented.

And no, I am not talking about worshiping satan. There are so many religions that worship the same god only do so differently. And there are more gentle religions also that it would be good to see in the marketplace along with the usual ones. Not every person is represented by the Judaeo-Christian faiths.

Let's have some freedom in our freedom of religion.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:24 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I agree Dori, each church or religion should be able to put up their own symbols or whatever they want. But, they should also not expect other religions to put them up along side of theirs.

It was a shame that this man felt it necessary to burn himself to make a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:13 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I do not think you can get away from the fact that the US is a "Christian" nation. It is a big part of the history of the country.

You notice of course that any politician running for president, for example, always seems to make a point about his Christianity and his faith in his god. It is just something that the public expects to hear. Wouldn't it sound rather odd for example to have an atheist sitting in that office. It would most liikely not matter one bit to the functioning of things, but the people might be concerned. They would be concerned because the media and their values (inidividuals.) would question that inidividual in that office. It is just the way people are brought up.

So, who is the person who torched himself? A Muslim? Some other religion? I suppose the point is that some people feel that Christianity and all of its symbolism is being thrust upon them. Why does Christ have to be everywhere in the society? What about the feelings and religions of others? I suppose that is the job of political correctness; to try and appease those with less power. It is a political act.

I am not religious in any way shape or form. But, I don't mind the idea of Christmas or the holiday name associated with it. It is a pleasnt time really, a peaceful time for most people. I think others like myself can participate in this thing even if we don't agree with the religious aspects of it. I am tolerant enough to do that. It is the intolerant Christians that bother me though. People like Evangelicals that think there is something wrong with atheists. These are the people that one should be wary of.

I do not know what was in the mind of the person torching himself. I think it is an unnecessary act though. But, it dioes get peoples' attention. People do things like that when they do not have any power to change things. Like a Palestinian strapping a bomb on himself and committing the ultimate sacrifice. Lack of power does that.