It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaned On as Never Before, Reservists Weigh Re-Enlistment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:17 am 

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/122206N.shtml

Washington - Sgt. Vic Blazier and his wife, Capt. Carla Blazier, were sent to war in 2003, leaving an infant and a toddler with a grandfather who died while the couple served in Iraq.

The ex-Army reservists from Marion, Ohio, had become civilian soldiers out of patriotism. But the sacrifice proved overwhelming.

After a decade of service, she resigned her commission as an officer in late 2004 after a year in Iraq. He returned home on hardship leave in late 2003 after his father died. Last year he passed up re-enlistment and joined Iraq Veterans Against the War.

The Blaziers are part of what military experts see as a pattern as the Pentagon seeks to increase the burden on the Army's two reserve components, the Reserve and National Guard. Torn between family and the call to duty, many are taking a hard look at military commitment and choosing family when re-enlistment time arrives.

There is as much disagreement between people in the military as there is those of us out here. But needless to say, this war is taking it's toll on our military in many ways, home life being one of them. For 'part time' military, keeping up with your duties, family, job, school, the military itself is a job many do not want to continue.

Understandable.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

At our Christmas gathering last night, my brother's mother-in-law, Mary, brought out some very interesting items from WW2. During that war, Mary was a child and she had saved partially used ration books, including stamps for gasoline, certain food items, and other material that indicated how much Americans at home were involved with the war effort. These vintage articles were so poignant and brought back for Mary many memories of hard times.

This war in Iraq has made very little impact on Americans who haven't had family members serving in the military. If every American had to "buy" into this war the way (except through their tax dollars) Americans had to buy into WW2, we might see a change in attitude nationwide...even more than we saw during the November elections. The really sad aspect of this whole scenario regarding Iraq is that Bush isn't going to listen to anybody about what is going on over there. He has convinced himself we're winning...and he isn't capable of acknowledging that we're not.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:37 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I do not believe that as much as I dislike Bush, he is the only reason for what is happening.

Politicians in general do not want to rock the boat. We saw that when gasoline climbed to almost four dollars a gallon because of so called shortages. Yet there was no gas rationing like in the 80's?

There is a shortage of military and we have to have our soldiers serving not one, not two but sometimes three and four tours over there and yet nobody calls for a draft. Instead they tell those that went to serve and were already in and tell them you cannot retired or get out until we tell you to.

Generals three years ago told the President they needed more ground troops and he did not listen. Now the war has gone past the needing of more troops. Generals are telling him no they do not need more soldiers. There is a civil war and more soldiers will mean more getting killed. But once again he is not listening, he wants to send more troops instead.

Cath I agree if we started rationing gasoline, and some of the other things that they need over there, it would be a different ballgame. Same with the security inspections. If we started the inspections on trains, buses and cruise ships as well as planes, things would be different also.

But, like this war, WWII was a war that did not need to happen. It was because a President lied to the American People also. Seems Presidents do that alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:51 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I don't think Americans should be sacrificing for anything. Saddam Hussein did not attack the United States. In this regard, he is more likely less guilty than other unnamed people or groups. But, I think you know what I am talking about. He had no interest or reason to attack New York. But, others did.

The war is a fraud and is only promoted by the powers that be. I really cannot say with any certainty who these powers are. But they are powers that want it to happen. And, Bush seems to be on their payroll. As is Blair. Do you really think it is an accident of history that these two nations go to war together?

I think Bush is on someones payroll. That is why he is so obedient and steadfast. He i most likely under orders to do so. Do you think this is a silly assumption? I do not think Bush is a stupid man, nor do I think he is a Christian. Somebody put him in office and kept him there, by whatever means necessary.

So, don't blame Bush necessarily. He is bought and paid for just like all of the rest of them. Sure there are some honest ones, but too few to make a difference it seems.

The Democrats are even backing up the idea of the "surge" to try and maintain peace in Baghdad.

Soldiers are just victims, like so many others. Victims of war and propaganda.

What a pleasant Christmas message eh?

Last edited by Just One More Thing.... on Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:03 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

It is not so much even the soldiers that are fighting the war. It is the soldiers in general. Many signed up for the military for educational benifits, for a bad home life, for any number of reasons. Granted they are all volunteers but the war was not going on and we had not been in a conflict for almost 10 years if not longer. None expected to go to war. None of the reserves, the national guard or active duty.

A good friend of mine left last month to go to Iraq. He is a pilot in the Air Force and will be there for about six months. He and others are in my prayers daily.