It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The misinformer of the year for 2006
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:10 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I think that this is well deserved. We had a major network present a docudrama that was inaccurate and willfully deceptive. At the same time, this network cozied up to the Bush administration.

Quote:
mediamatters.org/items/200612220014
Misinformer of the Year: ABC

In October 24 appearances on Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor and Hannity & Colmes, ABC News political director Mark Halperin claimed that the "old media" -- broadcast news outlets and major newspapers -- were "biased against conservatives; there's no doubt about it." He stated, "I think we've got a chance in these last two weeks [before the then-upcoming midterm elections] to prove to conservatives that we understand their grievances. We're going to try to do better." But if "try[ing] to do better" to not appear "biased against conservatives" meant offering viewers conservative misinformation, Halperin shouldn't have worried; a review of dozens of items by Media Matters for America identifying and correcting conservative misinformation from ABC suggests that Halperin's network was "try[ing] to do better" throughout 2006.

This year saw ABC air The Path to 9/11, a two-part miniseries that placed the blame for the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the Clinton administration and whitewashed some of the Bush administration's failures leading up to the attacks. Additionally, the network's news coverage frequently reported Republican spin as fact, passed on falsehoods propagated by conservatives, and missed numerous opportunities to challenge or question the administration's actions during solo interviews with Bush and key members of his administration.

These examples, and many more, earned ABC the distinction of being named Media Matters' Misinformer of the Year for 2006. The selection of an entire network for the honor represents a change from previous years, when individual media figures -- Fox News' Bill O'Reilly in 2004 and MSNBC's Chris Matthews in 2005 -- received the award. But a look at some of its most flagrant examples of conservative misinformation confirms that ABC won the Misinformer of the Year the old-fashioned way: The network earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ABC seems to be getting a headstart on "fear stories" for the New Year.

Quote:
An attack on French soil is likely to happen in the next few weeks or months, according to a senior French foreign intelligence official, who said today that they are on the highest state of alert since 9/11...

read more here

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:40 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
ABC seems to be getting a headstart on "fear stories" for the New Year.

Quote:
An attack on French soil is likely to happen in the next few weeks or months, according to a senior French foreign intelligence official, who said today that they are on the highest state of alert since 9/11...

read more here

One of the sad things about the Bush administration and the media is that there are real threats. I fear that the hype is desensitizing people to legitimate threats. Mind you, Bush's actions have helped feed the propaganda machines of groups like al Qaeda.

Okay, people, write your Senators and Representatives to look at the issue of media consolidation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
desensitizing people to legitimate threats.

Perhaps it's time for someone to read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" to Bush.

I may be too cynical but I'm also of the opinion that Bush and his cronies are very capable of contriving an attack. They'd like to "prove" their point, and to make it look like the Democrats' win in November has "enable" terrorists who want to attack but have been too "fearful" to do so while the Repubs were in control.

I also read today that there are added threats coming from Saddam Hussein loyalists.

Quote:
Some Saddam loyalists threatened to retaliate if he is executed, warning in a posting on the same Web site that they would target U.S. interests.

"The Baath and the resistance are determined to retaliate, with all means and everywhere, to harm America and its interests if it commits this crime," the statement said, referring to Baath fighters as "the resistance."

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:11 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:
desensitizing people to legitimate threats.

Perhaps it's time for someone to read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" to Bush.

I may be too cynical but I'm also of the opinion that Bush and his cronies are very capable of contriving an attack. They'd like to "prove" their point, and to make it look like the Democrats' win in November has "enable" terrorists who want to attack but have been too "fearful" to do so while the Repubs were in control.

I also read today that there are added threats coming from Saddam Hussein loyalists.

Quote:
Some Saddam loyalists threatened to retaliate if he is executed, warning in a posting on the same Web site that they would target U.S. interests.

"The Baath and the resistance are determined to retaliate, with all means and everywhere, to harm America and its interests if it commits this crime," the statement said, referring to Baath fighters as "the resistance."

LINK

I don't know if you are too cynical. I have little trust in this administration, particularly its competency.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is an apt tale for this administration. At a bare minimum, the Bush administration failed to heed the warnings of various intelligence agencies.