It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NBC: Bush to call for more troops
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NBC: Bush to call for more troops

NBC's Jim Miklaszewski reports

In a guest column in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal President Bush addressed a range of issues. On Iraq he said he'll reveal his new strategy in the coming days.

Administration officials tell NBC News it will involve sending some 20,000 additional U.S. troops to Iraq.

The plan is being called surge and accelerate: take control over violence in Baghdad, then speed up the handover of territory to Iraqi forces.

The plan would also turn over more money to Iraq for reconstruction and a jobs program.

But the prospect of more troops to Iraq is already drawing fire on Capitol Hill:

A former Reagan defense official says it runs counter to the U.S. goal.

"If you send another 20,000 more troops, casualties are going to go up, you're going to increase the Iraqi's dependence on us," Former Assistant Secretary of Defense Lawrence Korb said.

But hinting at his argument for a surge, President Bush wrote that the U.S. can help provide the necessary quote breathing space for Iraq's young government to meet its responsibilities.

[b]The president will have a tough sell here. And one administration official admits the strategy is more a political decision than a military one, with the president pushed to respond to Americans' impatience on the war. His speech on a new path in Iraq is expected in the middle of next week.

Brooke Hart, NBC News[/b]

Read this and then read Keith Olbermann's comments in ACCURATE REPORTING. :evil:

LINK

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now This!

Some Democrats could support Bush troop increase, NYT to report

RAW STORY
Published: Wednesday January 3, 2007

Some key Senate Democrats say they could support a short-term increase in American troop levels in Iraq, a stance that reflects division with the party and could provide an opening for President Bush as he prepares to announce his plan for Iraq as early as next week, the NEW YORK TIMES reports in Thursday's papers.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), incoming Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) and incoming House Intelligence Committee Chairman Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas) have all expressed varying degrees of support for increased troops, which they believe will help to stabilize the country and bring the overall contingent of US troops home faster.

LINK TO MORE

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:33 am 
Hear Me Roar!

I still think the whole thing is BS. Just Nam all over again. Read an article lately that mentioned the fact that the US is building 14 permanent bases in the country. If true how much of the Republican crap are we supposed to believe? Iraq is obviously some kind of base for a permanent US presence in the Region. Security of oil I suppose is a key consideration and keeping countries like Russia and China in check, vis a vis these oil deposits. Just my thoughts here.

And, how the hell does the turncoat LIeberman get this position anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Absolutely correct, Just. Here's Lieberman giving his reasons for supporting Bush's latest nose-thumbing:

WHY WE NEED MORE TROOPS IN IRAQ by Joe Lieberman

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Absolutely correct, Just. Here's Lieberman giving his reasons for supporting Bush's latest nose-thumbing:

WHY WE NEED MORE TROOPS IN IRAQ by Joe Lieberman

I read the article. Words of a true Zionist. I wonder who really wrote that script. The word extemist standing alone is mentioned seven times. There are numerous mentions of terrorists as well. And, there are two direct references to the words Al Qaeda and Iran. And, other references to the stand alone words Al Qaeda and terrorst again.

It is a propaganda speech. Its aim is to continue support for the war and to demonize Syria and Iran, and especially Iran. The words Iraq and Iran did not appear in the Axis of Evil Speech for nothing. Here is more proof of the hidden agenda of that Speech. ( perhaps not so hidden ) They are really out to get Iran I think because it is such a powerful adversary in the region now.