It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ET TU, Katie Couric?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shame on Couric! From the way she behaved during her "interview" of John and Ellizabeth Edwards, she must think that the copyright owner of the word "DECIDER" is W, and thus no one else has the right to decide for themselves what their course of action is going to be regarding their futures. I, on the other hand, had much rather see this remarkable couple continue showing great strength of character and yes,... leadership.

Et tu, Katie Couric?

by David Sirota | Mar 26 2007

I, like many people, find it nauseating that the professional political pontificators seem unable to contain their desire to apply horse-race analysis to Elizabeth Edwards announcement that she has life-threatening cancer. From CNN, to Time Magazine to Rush Limbaugh, the national political chattering class has this week truly earned its well-deserved reputation as a group of people dominated by egomaniacal, self-absorbed freaks wholly and completely out of touch with even the most basic sense of decency.

Perhaps the most disturbing display of all, however, was 60 Minutes' Katie Couric. She spent most of her interview with the Edwardses behaving like a prosecutor, cross-examining them about why they are going forward with the presidential campaign. And when I say "interrogate" I mean interrogate. This was no ordinary interview - this was a televised guilt trip. She stated as fact to John Edwards that he is supposedly "putting your work first, and your family second." She also pulled the "some say" technique, claiming that an unnamed "some" say that in making this decision, Edwards is displaying "a case of insatiable ambition."

In pursuing this line of repeated questioning, of course, Couric ignored the pretty well-known psychological value of work during health care crises. She also ignored the fact that this is an immensely personal decision that does not require some multimillion-dollar journalist to perform a televised, Gitmo-style interrogation in order for viewers at home to glean the "news value." And most incredibly, she ignored her own behavior when her spouse was diagnosed with cancer.

That's right, Katie Couric's husband was diagnosed with cancer in 1997. I did a quick check of the transcripts for that year - and it's pretty clear that she kept working as the anchor for NBC's Today Show, if not full time, then pretty close to it.

I want to be extremely clear: That Couric continued to work while her husband was sick was entirely her and her family's personal decision. I'm not going to comment on the merits of that decision not because I think it was a bad one or a good one, but because it's AN ENTIRELY PERSONAL DECISION. Really, who the hell am I - and who the hell is anyone else - to question someone's decision to keep working during a family health crisis?

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Has anyone in the supposedly "liberal biased news media" suggested that Tony Snow announced his liver cancer to the national media in order to gain public sympathy and divert attention from the daily massive corruption scandals enveloping the White House?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17831446/]Did Couric cross the line in Edwards interview?
[/url]

Quote:
One would think that Katie Couric — given that when she anchored the TODAY Show she continued to work and deal with her husband Jay’s suffering and ultimate death from colon cancer — would have handled the Edwards’ interview with the right combination of empathy and directness. But that didn’t happen.

As I watched the interview, I was blown away. In fact, I had to watch it twice on tape to make sure of what I saw and heard. I was really turned off by Katie’s approach. Many of her comments and questions were intrusive and inappropriate. They were over the line, particularly conducted a few days after Elizabeth Edwards’ diagnosis. When Katie asked John Edwards if he might be “capitalizing” politically on his wife’s incurable cancer, I was baffled. John and Elizabeth Edwards already tragically lost their 16-year-old son. They are now facing the terrible truth of her incurable cancer. Where exactly does Katie Couric get off asking a question that even remotely assumes that John Edwards has anything in his track record that would indicate that he would take political advantage of his wife’s cancer?

Katie also said, “Some people watching this would say ‘I would put my family first and my job second’ and you are doing the exact opposite. You are putting your work first and your family second.” She referred to “some people” questioning John Edwards’ “insatiable ambition” and his “capitalizing” on this. Huh? Let me get this right. I understand Katie is supposed to ask tough questions. That’s what we do as journalists. But what’s this “some people watching would say?” Who’s saying that? I know Rush Limbaugh questioned or challenged John and Elizabeth Edwards moving forward in this presidential race. But who else is questioning the motives or intent, much less the appropriateness, of John and Elizabeth Edwards decision to stay in this race?

The idea that Katie started numerous questions with “some people say” or “others say” is a journalistic cop-out. Cite your source, Katie. Are there polls that I haven’t heard about that show a significant percentage of Americans questioning or challenging John and Elizabeth Edwards’ decision? I must have missed that. When interviewers use the “some people” approach, it’s often a way of not having to say that they in fact feel that way.

Right now, Katie Couric is third in a three-way ratings race on the evening news. She’s getting paid big money to bring more eyeballs to the “CBS Evening News.” To date, she hasn’t done it. Could it be that Katie’s over-the-top and poorly-timed effort on “60 Minutes” was intended to draw attention to herself and potentially boost the ratings of her program? It’s a legitimate question, particularly when an experienced and talented broadcaster (who has experienced so much personal tragedy connected to cancer) takes such a surprisingly inappropriate tack in such an important and high-profile interview. Say it ain’t so Katie ... Say it ain’t so

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like Katie Couric is in hot water...again, this time for what some are calling plagiarism.

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18046837/site/newsweek/]Couric's Contretemps: An entry from the CBS's anchor's video 'Notebook' shares some uncomfortable similarities with a Wall Street Journal column. How musings about a library led to some embarrassing moments—and the firing of a network producer.
[/url]

By Johnnie L. Roberts
Newsweek

April 10, 2007 - CBS certainly got something different than it bargained for when it stole America’s Sweetheart from the “Today” show last year. Not only has Couric failed to draw her loyal fans to her new network: “CBS Evening News with Katie Couric” remains a distant third behind NBC and ABC. Now, Couric is embroiled in an embarrassing flap with The Wall Street Journal over plagiarism, the ultimate journalistic sin.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:37 am 

Couric is in the 'you can't win' zone.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can imagine her salary right now is much more than she's worth to CBS....she may be trying the Ann Coulter stance...controversial behavior for negative attention.

I guess this kind of attention is better than none if you're her boss. :P

In the dog eat dog world of news media today, nobody seems to have scruples. It's just I, ME, MY...and that translates into huge salaries for next to nothing that constitutes real journalism.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:00 am 

Meanwhile, Democracy Now! is begging for sponsors. Air America has it's problems staying in the black.

I guess no one said life was going to be fair, eh?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid