It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March 19, 1968/2003 LBJ advised leave Vietnam/Bush into Iraq
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 am 

March 19, 1968 and 2003 - LBJ advised get out of Vietnam and, Bush goes into Iraq

From http://aproudliberal1.blogspot.com/2007/03/march-19.html
Quote:
On March 19, 1968 - Presidential advisors advise getting out of Vietnam War.

Quote:
On March 19, 2003 - U.S. President George W. Bush announced that U.S. forces had launched a strike against "targets of military opportunity" in Iraq. The attack, using cruise missiles and precision-guided bombs, were aimed at Iraqi leaders thought to be near Baghdad.

Here on a single date 35 years apart is one of the most flagrant examples of refusing to learn from history. When we entered these wars there were no set objectives of what would constitute victory. Without a definition for victory then the wars were doomed to be endless. The advisers to LBJ were brought to reality by the fiasco known as the Tet Offensive, while technically a military victory for the US it was a public relations disaster and morale buster.

The Iraqi war was quickly exposed for the invasion and occupation it really was. Corporate greed now rules even more than it did during Vietnam.

Permanent Backlink to Post

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Last edited by A Proud Liberal on Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd like to know how many soldiers are in Iraq today who had fathers and/or grandfathers who were fighting in the Tet Offensive. It seems that one war generation breeds the cannon fodder for the next. Nobody seems to learn from history anymore....if they ever did.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:04 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Don't like how much off his rocker GW Bush is?

He went on denying that Iraq was like Vietnam, and now, he says Iraq is like Vietnam. The analogy now suits his purpose.

Bush Iraq War analogy strikes a nerve in Vietnam
Quote:
In a speech to U.S. war veterans on Wednesday, Bush invoked the Vietnam War, saying that widespread death and chaos would envelop Iraq if the U.S. troops left too quickly, as he said happened when the U.S. pulled out of Vietnam three decades ago.

Oddly, the fother mucker must not have believed that during the Vietnam years because he decided to skip his service for Vietnam.

Someone should ask him, if he had to do it all over again, would he go to Vietnam to fight for our freedom?

And you got to love how Mr. Bash tried to reappropriate history only to have his ass handed back to him by the Vietnamese:

Quote:
But people in Vietnam, where opposition to the U.S. intervention in Iraq is strong, said Thursday that Bush had drawn the wrong conclusions from the Southeast Asian conflict.

"Doesn't he realize that if the U.S. had stayed in Vietnam longer, they would have killed more people?" said Vu Huy Trieu of Hanoi, a veteran who fought against the U.S. troops in Vietnam. "Nobody regrets that the Vietnam War wasn't prolonged except Bush."

Vietnam's official government spokesman offered a more measured response during a regular media briefing Thursday.

"With regard to the American war in Vietnam, everyone knows that we fought to defend our country and that this was a righteous war of the Vietnamese people," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Dung. "And we all know that the war caused tremendous suffering and losses to the Vietnamese people."

Dung said Vietnam hoped that the Iraq conflict would be resolved "very soon, in an orderly way, and that the Iraqi people will do their best to rebuild their country."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Someone should ask him, if he had to do it all over again, would he go to Vietnam to fight for our freedom?

Good idea...contact Helen Thomas, CZ...she's about the only reporter that I know who might have the balls to actually ask Bush that very question during a press conference! IF the coward would even acknowledge her...he's scared to death of Helen Thomas! :twisted:

ROSES FOR HELEN THOMAS

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:55 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I think I'll do one better and just ask the president myself -- via comments@whitehouse.gov.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.