It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: America Number One (Signature Meanings)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:56 pm 
I spent all day looking for a new song for my signature, and finally found one. From back in the day when industrial rock was still concerned with scalding the complacency out of the masses, from the hard left, Consolidated

America Number One

Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Signatures
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:57 pm 
Perhaps some forum members would like to chit-chat about what their signatures reveal about them, and what makes a good signature, and a good avatar for that matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:34 am 

Good idea, GR. A good signature makes one think. I guess an avatar reflects one's picture of him/herself.

If I could have dancing Snoopy for my avatar I would, don't really know what I do have but I think of it as a friendly mouse.

My signature, 'perfect is the enemy of excellent', means we too often throw away what is good while waiting for or working for something that only exists in our dreams. It is all too common in human nature.

But I really don't understand what your signature means..."Enhance 34 to 46." I do see it is a link, but don't generally follow links because I don't have time to do so. Maybe I should take the time?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:24 pm 
dori wrote:
But I really don't understand what your signature means..."Enhance 34 to 46." I do see it is a link, but don't generally follow links because I don't have time to do so. Maybe I should take the time?

hee hee

Well, the link right now is connected to the "America Number One" video. My plan is to find some sort of compelling video and drop it on the link, maybe once every couple of months or so, so that the reader can be pleasantly surprised with an original experience that also speaks to the issues we cover.

Some of the sci-fi types on this board may already recognize "Enhance 34 to 46" as being one of Harrison Ford's lines from Blade Runner. He's scanning a photograph and something catches his eye, so he starts zeroing in on the deeper truth behind the cover story, and finds it. That "moment" of shift from being lost to catching the scent is the effect I considered suitable for an update to my signature. Linking it to various compelling video or audio clips is designed to underscore the same message, so the person clicking on the link "becomes" Harrison Ford in that same moment of something just caught their eye.

It took a long time to find my avatar. It's Bill Petersen from the film Manhunter, when he's looking through the glass. Rather than me try to explain that one, the person reading this might enjoy watching the film and seeing for themself.

My previous signature, "slated for dehumanization, destined to overcome," was a slightly paraphrased fusion between Alex Jones and Martin Luther King, Jr., who was assassinated on this day 39 years ago, by the way. But how that evolved is yet another story . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:02 am 

Martin Luther King Jr. was a brilliant man. He was on to many of the dark secrets of this country--and that is what ended his life. Another case of a 'lone gunman' blamed for what concerted people in our society, or more likely our government, carried out.

I will not be able to see the clips--not with dial-up. But I love your idea. If I ever get broadband I might follow something like that. Love the thought!

I hope others will post their ideas here too.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grand idea for a discussion, GR!

I change my signature from time to time, particularly if I find some quote or other that seems to fit changing events. The one I have now is more or less a comment about what I believe to be a basic character flaw within anyone who still believes that the Bushies are good for this nation...he or she cannot possibly be honest and still support them.

I chose the avatar I have mainly because of her facial expression. I like the penetrating gaze of the character as she seeks truth and attempts to bring truth to those coming to TVNL. AND she looks a lot like me, too.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman