It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Trek
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:27 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

There have been a number of Star Trek shows and spin offs. Anybody have a favorite? Mine is Enterprise, which is being shown on HDNet in High Def. I was sorry to see it canceled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

My ranking of all the series:

1.TNG
2.Origional ST
3.DSN
4.Enterprise
5.Voyager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Most polls I've seen to vote on the best ST series have TNG as #1, and the origional and DSN tied for #2. Voyager and Enterprise usually don't get many votes.

...Have you seen all the other series DK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

LOL, remember I am old. I watched the first Star Trek while stationed in Korea. I really liked SNG and followed it weekly. Never got into the other two, but then when Enterprise came on I was hooked again. I enjoy watching it again.

Post subject: Star Trek
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 pm 
When the series were current, I was into TNG a bit, and got heavy into Voyager -- female captain, as well as all the other major characters. The story line was compelling, which supplied a strong undercurrent of passion and purpose to the scripts. A number of interesting relationships, and I enjoyed watching them unfold over time.

But today I'm back to the Original Star Trek as the only series of any of them that maintains everlasting worth.

"Mirror, Mirror"

is among the most profound statements of all time as a perpetual indictment of the employee-based pyramid paradigm (corporate America) that is crumbling all around us even as we speak. Man, I LOVE that episode!

CHARACTERS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:15 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes, that was a great episode. :D

Post subject: Scotty's Ashes to be Scattered in Space
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:38 pm 
'Star Trek' actor's ashes heading to space this month
POSTED: 12:45 p.m. EDT, April 2, 2007

Quote:
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico (AP) -- The ashes of James Doohan, who played chief engineer Montgomery "Scotty" Scott on the original "Star Trek" TV series, have been loaded into a rocket that is set to launch in New Mexico later this month.

The remains of Doohan, Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper and some 200 others were loaded into the rocket Friday by Charles Chafer, chief executive of Celestis, a Texas company that contracts with rocket firms to send cremated remains into space.

ARTICLE

EARLIER ARTICLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:30 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I liked the Cloud City one in the original ST. Reminds one of the NCLB policy as the children are the Trogs, while the elites float in their assumed progressive cultural ennui's.

My favorite was Voyageur- as it was cutting edge philosophical/scientific. The doctor's character was permitted to grow and develop like some spoiled brat, each person seemed to grow from their experience and Janeway was a bitch you didn't mess with. I remember watching the first episode and shutting it off when they had a woman captain. After the series was over, I caught it on space and before long I was hooked. It was at a time when I was immersed in Poli Sci and Philosophy with Hobbes, Liebnitz Hume, Machiavelli, Plato etc. part of my daily curriculum. It was the most deeply philosophical series that had the writers to delve into it's many ideas about humanity and freedoms. I can still watch episodes and enjoy their message.

I watched Enterprise but it was more of an adventure than a message and so I can understand why it was let go. DSN is not my favorite either, but I prefer it's Machiavellian concept of evil being a constant motive for all creatures, even in space. It was funny that the humans were portrayed as the only honest ones to be trusted. TNG was a tour de force, that although it was played over and over for years as reruns, set a standard of excellence that captains have had to emulate ever since. Picard was authentic and wise. He was cast in a perfect role.

What's in the future for Star Trek? More space Funerals? I heard Sulu is gay, and Kirk still can't sing! If they're going to make a movie would they use people from Voyageur or the other episodes? Is Archer going to be the one who connects the series together with an infant Kirk appearing at Starfleet Academy doing the Kobayashi Maru manoeuver, much like Aniken/Darth Vader in Star Wars does? Is there a future to Star Trek or is it only on TV?

Let's stay all along the watchtower and keep the view!

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.