It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Medical Alert From a Friend of Mine
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yesterday, a friend of mine was diagnosed with bronchitis. She posted this info at her favorite discussion board today after having what could have been a disastrous reaction to the meds prescribed by her doctor. I'm pasting it here for you all to have the information...just in case!

Quote:
Yesterday I had a REALLY bad reaction to the meds that were administered and prescribed by my Dr. One was a "new drug" sample of a decongestant called Ryneze, and shot of Decadron(sp) and an antibiotic Zythromax, and Tussinex cough syrup. Basically according to the Pharmacist this morning I was given the equivalent of "Crank and Valium" at the same time. I also take Synthroid for a Thyroid disorder daily. Luckily for me I had been out of the Synthroid for almost a week or I could have suffered a possible stroke or heart attack. I'm not a Dr. here, so I'm only recounting what the Pharmacist told me.

Long story short everything is OK. I just got WIRED yesterday right before my afternoon rants about Daytime TV. Go figure... I was wide-eyed awake all night and I felt both numb from the Codine in the Tussinex and wired like heck from the steroid and decongestant. My heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest but the Codine had the rest of senses dulled out. I ate a sandwich at 1am and 2 pieces of toast at 5:30 and drank water all night because my throat was swelling up. I finally got to sleep at around 6:30am. Got back up at 10:45am. I feel like a stumbling idiot today.

After all that rambling about what I am really trying to get at is 2 websites that the Pharmacist told me about. www.drugdigest.org and www.drugs.com. He advised me look there at drug interactions before even taking prescriptions when possible. He said even the best checkers and Pharmacists still make mistakes and so do Dr.'s. Most of the info is updated daily and in your hands before the Dr.'s themselves. They get most of their info from thier sales reps and reports. Just wanted to pass this along.

For those of you with medical experience or Dr.'s in the family, run this by them or feel free to set me straight if this info I have been given is wrong

(No Link per request.)

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman