All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery Ailment Strikes Honeybees
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mystery Ailment Strikes Honeybees

Feb 11, 2007
By GENARO C. ARMAS

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - A mysterious illness is killing tens of thousands of honeybee colonies across the country, threatening honey production, the livelihood of beekeepers and possibly crops that need bees for pollination.

Researchers are scrambling to find the cause of the ailment, called Colony Collapse Disorder.

Reports of unusual colony deaths have come from at least 22 states. Some affected commercial beekeepers - who often keep thousands of colonies - have reported losing more than 50 percent of their bees. A colony can have roughly 20,000 bees in the winter, and up to 60,000 in the summer.

"We have seen a lot of things happen in 40 years, but this is the epitome of it all," Dave Hackenberg, of Lewisburg-based Hackenberg Apiaries, said by phone from Fort Meade, Fla., where he was working with his bees.

READ MORE HERE

This is very disturbing situation. Bees are wonderful, and I've been convinced for a long time that they hold the key to what makes this earth such a lovely place, especially when people aren't trying to destroy it, themselves, and every other living thing within the universe.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:14 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Bees, ants and earthworms play a key roll in natures design. If this is a disease as a result of our doing as humans, then we are losing one of the most important links to our planets success story and some of our hardest workers, that get no real appreciation for what they do outside of their resources, which we steal from them. And they do it all virtually free, so we can profit and enjoy their work. A bee's work for the sake of its survival is our gain as another sweet treat to be exploited, purchased and enjoyed. :(

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject: CRAZY!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:36 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

We were talking about this today in my Animal Behavior class. Many times, bees "know" when they are infected, and they can actually remove the infected larvae from the hives. However, this doesnt always happen. Not all bees have this "hygienic" trait. These are the nests that fall. Problem is, having the "hygienic" line isnt just genetic, its also a "learned" behavior.

Either way, the bees are totally facinating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you all find any follow-up on this story, please post it here. This is very disturbing because without bees, our food chain is really messed up.

(Off topic, but I highly recommend the book The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd to anyone who likes a good story and finds bees as fascinating as I do.)

Here's a link to the bee story, posted on Wednesday:

Mystery illness devastates honeybee colonies

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

Scientists claim radiation from handsets are to blame for mysterious 'colony collapse' of bees

By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross
15 April 2007

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

READ MORE OF THIS SHOCKER AT THE LINK. :shock:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:59 am 

This is related:

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7874

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 am 

I cannot help but think this is due to the rampant genetic modification and incredible use of pesticides and other chemicals.

For my own part, my yard is a haven for bugs of all kinds. I am growing my version of a big garden, completely organic (of course). I generally move any "harmful" bugs to a different part of the yard where they can still find food I have an abundance of bees, wasps, butterflies...really anything around here--bugs gallore! But I have been reading and trying to encourage bugs of all sorts to live in the areas of my yard that will be least harmful and most benificial to my little ecosystem here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:15 am 

Lefty, I am on the same track. I am trying to grow as many wildflowers as possible. Since the town mows all the wildflowers, I am trying to establish things like milkweed, goldenrod, wild asters and all the beautiful natural flowers. Unfortunately, so far I am not having much luck.

Bees were in abundance in the side yard during the time we had that thaw a couple of weeks ago. Yellow jackets are always thick by the middle of August or even earlier. They also pollinate, but they are so darn agressive. Hornets are just mean!

I think we should keep an eye on this bee situation. It could be a building disaster. As though there isn't enough hunger in the world already.

Post subject: Bees Vanish, and Scientists Race for Reasons
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 am 

http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/042407ED.shtml

Bees Vanish, and Scientists Race for Reasons

Article from The New York Times, 24 April 2007