It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: April 22, 2004 - Pat Tillman killed by friendly fire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 am 

April 22, 2004 - Pat Tillman killed by friendly fire

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

Quote:
Patrick Daniel Tillman, Jr. (November 6, 1976 – April 22, 2004) was an American football player who left his professional sports career and enlisted in the United States Army in May 2002.

He served in Iraq and later in Afghanistan, as a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment, where he was killed. His decision, and subsequent death, were the subject of much media attention. More controversy ensued when, on May 28, 2004, the Pentagon notified the Tillman family that he had died as a result of a friendly fire incident; the family and other critics alleged that the Department of Defense delayed the disclosure for weeks after Tillman's memorial service out of a desire to protect the image of the U.S. armed forces.

The tragedy here was not that Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire, this has happened in wars since the beginning of time. It was the subsequent cover up that was a crime here. Was it really concerns that recruiting would be so severely impacted by this disclosure or was something more nefarious? Had word of Tillman's disaffection for the Iraqi war reached those in power? Was this why he was in Afghanistan and not Iraq? Was the military covering up the fact that many of troops deployed lacked the necessary training to avoid killing their fellow soldiers during combat, because of a rush to deploy? Had Tillman lacked the necessary personal body armor that could have saved his life?

Despite the recent investigations and reports issued by the military, many of these questions remained unresolved. The horror of war is bad enough without added incompetence and malice.

Permanent Backlink to Post

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:40 am 

I don't have links for this, it is just something I heard. Tillman did not agree with the Iraq war and was vocal about it. It was questioned after his death whether the death was actually accidental. His personal belongings were burned, and his personal diary was missing.

Sounds like there was more than a cover-up if these things are true.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yup, this happens more often then people realize. Speaking out has cost many a good person their life. Sad indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 am 

Yup. I am thinking people like JFK, RFK, MLK, Paul Wellstone, Gandhi (sp?), what was the name of that Pope who was going to look into the church, John I was it?

Knowledge is a dangerous thing when you are not supposed to have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 am 

dori wrote:
What was the name of that Pope who was going to look into the church, John I was it?

It was John Paul I and he served only 33 days. He was the only Pope to have actually served his term as a "I," all the other I's got there ordinal numbers after their deaths when the practice of using them was started. He was the first to have picked a "new name" and the first with a double name.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_I_conspiracy_theories

Quote:
The claim that papal rules prevented autopsies could have an innocent explanation: Having embalmed the pope's body to avoid rapid decay, a mythical "rule" could have been dreamed up to justify the action. It has, however, at one stage been claimed that close friends of the late Pope, to their embarrassment, were ordered away from his corpse while some form of inspection, perhaps even an autopsy, occurred. If that is true, then the fact that no results were subsequently released might suggest that some evidence had in fact been found that John Paul's death was not due simply to natural causes, but due either to murder or to an accidental overdose that the Vatican might not wish to make public.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:30 am 

This happening has been of interest to me ever since I first heard about it. Thank you for reminding me of his name.

Wasn't John Paul I going to look into church finances or some such thing? I just remember that he was treading on a lot of toes, then he was gone. Served 33 days, that has to be a record...especially considering the mystery surrounding his death.

Good thing you are here APL, I read your posts to remind me of things my head never seems to store. I have lived a long life and lived through many important events--just don't have a good filing system in my head to keep them all straight even though they are interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I know we're talking about Pat Tillman here but I can't let your discussion on JP1 just slip by. I was reading a book recently called "In God's Name" by David Yallop, which was a bestseller in the 1980's, an investigation into the death/murder of JP1. I was going to talk to Wolveshater about this and other points that make one wonder about the motives that led to his murder/death. There was a group that wanted to continue to launder money for the mafia etc. and were to be exorcised by the new pope. I'm sure wolves would have found the #33 as profound- JP's length of rule-, like dori said, it was an issue around the Vatican Bank.

Anyway, back to the topic-
I never heard that Tillman was vocal in his opposition to the war, but if someone this spotlighted and famous were to speak out against the war after his recruitment story, it would be a definite black eye to the phony war scenario that our leaders have painted as reality.

Guess I'll look up this info and post back when I can.

Found it- Info dori gave was accurate- your old head is working just fine- know what you mean about infocram- kinda explains why rightwingnuts don't think- too much reality hurts the peabrain of a freeper.

Here's a source that can't be questioned- Pat Tillman's Brother- soldier and patriot-Kevin Tillman!
http://www.citizen-soldier.org/tillman.html
-by David Zirin, who wrote more articles about Pat and Kevin.

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:47 am 

Wow! What a fantastic letter by Kevin Tillman. I hope everyone checks out DO.g's link.

Quote:
Somehow those afraid to fight an illegal invasion decades ago are allowed to send soldiers to die for an illegal invasion they started.

Kevin Tillman was at the Senate hearing and I don't think the Senators allowed him to speak enough. They were so busy thanking him they didn't allow him time to say what people needed to hear.

Too bad. He has a LOT to say and it makes sense!