It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humane Society blog
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:15 am 

http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/

Put this here instead of in the bloggers section, because that is about politics, and this is about humane treatment of animals.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 am 

Cool blog.

I go both ways with the Humane Society. At least on the local level. Here, in order to take an animal to the Humane Society you have to sign papers saying you will never have another pet again. And they are also strange in the manner at which they will let some people have animals and some not. I know some ditzy college girls who were able to adopt animals from there to take them to tiny apartments with no yard, yet my in-laws were denied adoption because their yard wasn't fenced (the dog was going to be an inside dog).

Aside from the questionable adoption techniques, they put animals down alarmingly fast here. If you are lucky and the animal is extremely cute, he may have more than 5 days, if not, they are put to sleep on the 5th day that they are held.

Also, don't get me wrong, I realize they have a huge responsibility and I know I have used them. There have been three dogs come to my house that I am sure were lost, but because of my own dogs, I couldn't foster them until their people were found, so I felt the only thing to do was call animal control (which takes the animals to the humane society) for fear that the dogs would have died without proper care and without being protected from traffic....anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent thinking, dori. Good place for an animal blog.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:54 pm 

I have heard some things like you say about most animal protection agencies, lefty. It is so sad.

We do have a 'no kill' agency about 10 miles from here, but they have over 250 cats and no one wants them. They constantly ask for help and I can understand why. All the cats live in a huge room, with cages without doors. The cats appear to get along from what I hear, they have been neutered and have their shots, but no families. The local paper has pictures periodically and there are fundraisers, but the place is still struggling.

None of this would be necessary if people would only act responsibly and neuter their animals if they are not in a position to raise offspring.

But seeing the way some people treat their children, it is no wonder they have no concern about their pets.

Always so sad...

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid