It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Group Threatens to Sue Pentagon Over Military Role in Evange
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:01 am 

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/052507R.shtml

A scheduled three-day celebration of the US Air Force's 60th anniversary, sponsored in part by evangelical Christian organizations, has prompted a military watchdog group to threaten legal action against the Department of Defense.

The controversial event, sponsored by Task Force Patriot USA, an evangelical organization, and LifeWay Christian Resources, the publishing house of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), was described by the official publication of the Robins Air Force Base as "an official US Air Force 60th Anniversary event." The paper stated that the religious groups and the United States Air Force "have joined together to create a three-day celebration ..."

Does anyone else get the feeling we are being invaded?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:58 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Onward Christian Soldiers .. Maybe they could wash the air force jets with holy water? That should really get them worked up. (Missiles and bombs included)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:22 am 

As I read that article, SI, my stomach turned much as it did when I read lefty's article on the prayer page for kids.

I am not against religion, but I am for the separation of church and state. I guess that is another 'quaint' idea in this country now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:12 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I got turned away from religion (Christian) when I found out how manipulated and cooked it all was. Anyone should be able to see how it has been re-written or usurped, to support warlords and their (indoctrinated) theories. People don't even bother to check for corruption or manipulation in the Christian Doctrine, they just get behind it no matter what. They know not what they support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:57 am 

What you say is so true, SI. But I also remember the people who actually take the teachings of Christ to heart and are gentle and kind. Their religion means so much to them, I would hate to upset them.

I have no idea what is 'true' and what is not. I know how I feel, and my feelings are 'true' to me, just as theirs are to them.

When a person's religion allows them to be mean, greedy, nasty, it--to me--doesn't reflect what I have read in the Bible. At least not in the chapters dealing with Jesus himself. I just don't understand how anyone can call themselves 'Christian' and turn their backs on the teachings of Christ. Most 'Christian' people I know do just that. But there are still those who do get the true message, and whether Jesus was who he said he was or not, if that message brings comfort to them, and makes them care more about others, more power to them.

I am back to MLKs thoughts, it is about the content of one's character that matters, nothing else.

(Have to admit, I am not favorably impressed with the character of hypocrits.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:21 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I understand your point Dori and if people want to believe in a Saviour fine, I got no problem with that, unless it messes with everything else, like it does. I heard a guy say awhile ago "I have to have the Minister explain the Bible to me, I just can't understand the stuff." He'll get the Minister's version and I wonder who's version that is? I'm betting his teacher's version or say a collage version. I listened to an (mp3) interview of guy who did his research and left his false teaching church behind, and is trying to educate others. So, hopefully other people will do the same and the real teachings of Jesus (as he put it) will spread and become common knowledge. According to many, how the Bible is "being taught" (interpreted) is wrong. Just about everything has been usurped and used as a tool against people, including the Christian Religion. That is why I said "They know not what they support" They don't know this has happened and where things went wrong. (meaning - In the history / interpretation). Maybe those rich evangelist will come clean some day and tell the real truth. Ha .. Yeah Right ! :shock: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:54 pm 

Quote:
Maybe those rich evangelist will come clean some day and tell the real truth. Ha .. Yeah Right !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a joke, right?

But I have heard there are some who are trying to get a more humane form of Christianity out there. I don't know about other religions.

When you consider the trail of the Bible, so much 'history' handed down by word of mouth, it is amazing anyone believes what it says. After word of mouth, it was written in one language and translated into other languages. I don't suppose anything was changed during that process, do you?

But my point always comes back to--a person should be judged only by the content of their character, not any other measure.

Us old folk have ideas set in stone...