It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:32 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

As most of you know, I grew up in the deep woods of Maine. We never went without, but we were not rich by any means.

Most of the food we ate was either through hunting or fishing and I have eaten just about every "game" animal that lived in the deep woods of my home as well as much of the plant life that is edible.

We had one beagle that we would take with us to hunt for rabbits. Any other animal that we hunted we were on our own.

Bear in the wild are both very smart and very wary of humans. (The ones you see who come into towns are either desperate or accustomed to humans)

We were either hunting or fishing pretty much year round in order to keep food on the table. There were certain "rules" that my father insisted we followed.

No kill shot, do not take the shot.

One shot one kill. Unfortunately this was not always possible. Adrenalin does funny things on the body.

If we only wounded the animal then we would do everything within our power to find it. Sometimes we were out for days looking. As far as I can remember, there was only one time that we were not successful and he was pretty upset about it. Since I have left he has had a couple more that he has not found. I can tell by the way he talks about it that it still bothers him.

You eat what you kill. One thing that my father hated, and I mean HATED, was people who would kill anything just for the sake of killing.

And he always gave thanks to the animal for its sacrifice, though I now think it was nature herself he was giving thanks to, it was always to the animal that he would bow his head for a moment.

I didn't realize until years after leaving that my father is a true MASTER woodsman through and through. I have never met someone that I would consider to be his equal though I know that they are out there.

My father taught me much that I am grateful for and I have forgotten very little.

I'm not writing this to justify the use of dogs in hunting bear. These people are petty. I am writing this because of my worry that because of bad apples, all of the hunters get blamed.

I have come to realize that what my father has given me is greater than anything that can be learned from schools or books or anything else that is learned in the so called "real world". He has taught me about the REAL WORLD, not the one which we have created.

What he has done is given me a chance, a chance that many people who live in cities or who have not learned will never have. If there ever comes a time, which I suspect will be in my lifetime, that if things go really bad, as long as I can make my way back into nature, I will have a chance to not only survive, but to thrive if I practiced what he taught me.

How many people have become so dependant on outside sources that if these outside sources are removed they will be at a total loss? I dread to even think of the suffering that these people will face because they have been so far removed from the true REALITY that they have no clue as to how to live there.

Everyone should teach their children how to survive in nature. How many do?

We tend to think that this reality that we have created will always be. We are wrong.

I love nature not only because it is beautiful but because it is here that we should reside. We have created a false reality and we have done this without one bit of wisdom in regards to the unbalancing effect that it does to the real REALITY. Sure we point to some things, such as pollution, but this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Most people cannot comprehend that everything in this reality that we have created, without practicing the wisdom of balance which NATURE insists upon, we have set ourselves up for devastating consequences. Every time that NATURE has attempted to put life back into balance, we have defeated her. We are just compounding the problem.

All one has to do is look at how NATURE works and they will understand. Nature will win, and we will have brought it upon ourselves.

Life will goes on in the event of an atomic war. She may be wounded, but eventually she will heal herself, eventually she will bring herself back into balance.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:41 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I'd survive because I am a survivor. Also thank you that was a pleasant read. I remember The White Mountains.

TuT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

TUTUTKAMEN wrote:
I'd survive because I am a survivor. Also thank you that was a pleasant read. I remember The White Mountains.

TuT

We are all survivors TuT. :D

Some, unfortunately, are going to have a very tough time of it though if things go bad. Many will be totally lost without someone there to hold their hand's.

I did not mean to hijack this thread in the way that I did, leading away from the sick people who fight dogs.

Please return to the previously scheduled broadcast.

Crimson.

The greatest deception they have perpetrated is that we need them. Our greatest mistake is that we believe them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:50 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Naw I like this topic better. And I do not believe all people have the spirit or courage it takes to survive a hardship. I have seen too many lay down and just give up. In order to survive one must still be able to call up the animal that resides deep inside. Instinct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

TUTUTKAMEN wrote:
Naw I like this topic better. And I do not believe all people have the spirit or courage it takes to survive a hardship. I have seen too many lay down and just give up. In order to survive one must still be able to call up the animal that resides deep inside. Instinct.

Although I think I have always understood this, I dont think I have ever contemplated this at any depth.

There are many ways of giving up, not just the obvious and some ways that we may not even recognize within ourselves.

Things that make ya go mmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NFL commish orders Vick to stay out of camp

NEW YORK - Michael Vick was ordered by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday to stay away from the Atlanta Falcons’ training camp until the league reviews the dogfighting charges against him.

“While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy,” Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/animal_f ... _away.html

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:10 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Now, what Vick is being associated with is god aweful cruel.

But.

Isn't he innocent until proven guilty? Maybe this is more a constitutional question.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:44 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Channel Zero wrote:
Now, what Vick is being associated with is god aweful cruel.

But.

Isn't he innocent until proven guilty? Maybe this is more a constitutional question.

We know that this has been a fabrication for quite some time. You have to be proven innocent if arrested, if arrested then to thier minds at least you are already guilty.

I guess it depends on the situation. We have had something unfold in Cheshire Ct. tonight. The two people caught are no doubt guilty, and if it were up to me right at this moment.......I wont go there.

Crimson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Geez, CE..don't you know that if you're rich and famous in this country, and/or have a bit of political clout, you're innocent IF proven guilty.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 am 

Quote:
“While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy,” Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

The team, the league determine what is allowable.

Whether someone has broken a law is determined by the justice system. Players have other standards to meet also, and it is up to the league and the team to determine if those standards have been met.

Btw, CE, I also believe that although I could not kill an animal, there are very good hunters and there are horrible ones. A good hunter is sure of his shot and makes sure the animal does not suffer. Good hunters have empathy for animals as well as humans.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

VICK'S CO-DEFENDANT PLEADS GUILTY

....and guess what...now the NAACP is trying to play the race card! :evil: Doesn't anybody have any shame anymore?

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That doesn't look good for Vick.

I heard recently that some columnist made a statement that was both shocking, but had some sense of truth to it.

The columnist said something to the effect that Vick might have better luck being accused of rape than what he is accused of now.

Two ways to look at that:
* What does that say about being a rape victim?
* What does that say about a suspects presumed innocence under different circumstances?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:56 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Yes and the colour issue as in whatever happened to the gay lacrosse team? Oh yeah, they were white and RICH.

Vick may be going down because of these factors, oh yeah; the black part and rich doesn't count? Not nearly as much! Or maybe he'll have to use up all his money to defend himself like the OJ we love so much.

Good points CZ, about rape and who is the victim until proven guilty- again, it's all relative. With this being a dog case, and people tend to love their animals more than fellow people, I'd say he's guilty until proven guilty! His career and all his dreams are over. :cry: :cry: :cry: As the sage staged it- "it's all over but the crying".

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:05 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Channel Zero wrote:
That doesn't look good for Vick.

I heard recently that some columnist made a statement that was both shocking, but had some sense of truth to it.

The columnist said something to the effect that Vick might have better luck being accused of rape than what he is accused of now.

Two ways to look at that:
* What does that say about being a rape victim?
* What does that say about a suspects presumed innocence under different circumstances?

My question is what does it say about the ' idiotic ' journalist ?

TUT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:31 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Image Vick Jury :P :P :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next