It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bush's Martial Law Plan Is So Shocking, Even Congress Can't
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm 

:( :( :x :x :x :x :( :( :(
Now what do WE do ?? Life might get real interesting folks.
http://www.buffaloimc.org/display.php3?article_id=9143

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We'd better hope the Congress Critters will do their duty AND honor their oaths of office and uphold the Constitution. The Executive Branch certainly isn't. It seems to me that the Congress ought to be yelling and screaming and beating on drums, or doing SOMETHING....they should be mustering the people out to help them prevent a major Constitutional crisis...

AND check this out:

Just What the Founders Feared: An Imperial President Goes to War

By ADAM COHEN
Published: July 23, 2007

Quote:
The nation is heading toward a constitutional showdown over the Iraq war. Congress is moving closer to passing a bill to limit or end the war, but President Bush insists Congress doesn’t have the power to do it. “I don’t think Congress ought to be running the war,” he said at a recent press conference. “I think they ought to be funding the troops.” He added magnanimously: “I’m certainly interested in their opinion.”

The war is hardly the only area where the Bush administration is trying to expand its powers beyond all legal justification. But the danger of an imperial presidency is particularly great when a president takes the nation to war, something the founders understood well. In the looming showdown, the founders and the Constitution are firmly on Congress’s side.

Given how intent the president is on expanding his authority, it is startling to recall how the Constitution’s framers viewed presidential power. They were revolutionaries who detested kings, and their great concern when they established the United States was that they not accidentally create a kingdom. To guard against it, they sharply limited presidential authority, which Edmund Randolph, a Constitutional Convention delegate and the first attorney general, called “the foetus of monarchy.”

The founders were particularly wary of giving the president power over war. They were haunted by Europe’s history of conflicts started by self-aggrandizing kings. John Jay, the first chief justice of the United States, noted in Federalist No. 4 that “absolute monarchs will often make war when their nations are to get nothing by it, but for the purposes and objects merely personal.”

Many critics of the Iraq war are reluctant to suggest that President Bush went into it in anything but good faith. But James Madison, widely known as the father of the Constitution, might have been more skeptical. “In war, the honors and emoluments of office are to be multiplied; and it is the executive patronage under which they are to be enjoyed,” he warned. “It is in war, finally, that laurels are to be gathered; and it is the executive brow they are to encircle.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[url=http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2008/04/17/congress-quietly-repeals-martial-law-provision/#comments]Congress Quietly Repeals Martial Law Provision
[/url]

In late 2006, Congress revised the Posse Comitatus Act and the Insurrection Act to make it far easier for a president to declare martial law. Those changes were repealed at the end of this January as part of Public Law 110-181 (HR 4986), the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (signed into law by President Bush on January 28, 2008).

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt), who championed the opposition to the original law, was also the hero of the repeal. It helped that all the nation’s governors opposed the 2006 law.

Boise State Professor Charlotte Twight, the author of the excellent Dependent on DC, alerted me to the change last night. I checked on Nexis and the only news coverage I found regarding the repeal was a 322-word Gannett News wire story from February 1 that focused on how the repeal made governors happy.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:20 am 

Wonderful news!!! Wonder why it has been kept so quiet.

Catherine, you have access to Nexis? Wow! I am further impressed.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject: Request from Edward Kennedy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:21 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

I feel like sharing with you - something I have done. Lets see if it does any good?????

I got a request from Senator Edward M. Kennedy for support for the senate and congress - to keep Republicans from regaining control. Here's my response - for what it's worth.

Mr Kennedy,
Please give me one solid reason why you feel you need my support to defend and protect the Senate?
The Democrats regained control and so far I have seen nothing the Senate has done to correct a lot of the wrongs the Republican Party has commited for the past 12 years plus. The Senate is choosing to either ignore the wishes of their constituents or have forgotten why they were allowed to regain control of the Senate in the first place.
(I spoke of events that have happened in my home state (OHIO) when Montgomery - Petro and Taft were in control.) THey are gone now - so subject is moot.
Correct me if I am wrong - But I feel every politician has bought into a One World Government and to hadies with each and every citizen and voter.
Freedom of the press is dead - Democracy is dead and only the very wealthy has any control of all our daily lives. Sad thing is all you politicians have become wealthy vermin at the expense of every blue collar worker that has financed this country from square one and have been screwed by every ELEPHANT in office and now by every DONKEY in office.
All the BUSH'S - CHENEY'S - RICE'S - POWELL'S - DISNEY'S - MURDOCK'S - Oh Hell lets be honest ---- every REPUBLICAN and every DEMOCRAT that's really a REPUBLICAN in desguise. The whole lot of you needs to be impeached and charged with treason and hung or prosecuted in the so called civilized mans world to the fullest extent of the law. Let's go back to the good old days and start over. The worst cannot be any worse than what is being shoved down our throats by our present ay administration. Nancy Pelosi is a first time female that could be in a position to make a name for every woman - but is she too chicken ---- to do anything or just plain stupid?

Sincerely
my name
address
phone #

Will I get a reply? No way - and I may go on a Home Security terrorist list. That will be ok too. I only lose my temper till it would be detrimental to keep it. Main saying by Sean O'Casey with a couple of modifications by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:39 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Great stuff Dee Ann! We may all have a little get together on a beach on the south shore of Cuba before this is over. Please let us know of any response!