All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abu Ghraib whistleblower's ordeal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:52 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

By Dawn Bryan
Producer, BBC Radio 4's The Choice

Quote:
The US soldier who exposed the abuse of Iraqi prisoners in Abu Ghraib prison found himself a marked man after his anonymity was blown in the most astonishing way by Donald Rumsfeld.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6930197.stm

Quote:
And then he was sitting in a crowded Iraqi canteen with hundreds of soldiers and Donald Rumsfeld came on the television to thank Joe Darby by name for handing in the photographs.

"I don't think it was an accident because those things are pretty much scripted," Mr Darby says.

"But I did receive a letter from him which said he had no malicious intent, he was only doing it to praise me and he had no idea about my anonymity.

"I really find it hard to believe that the secretary of defence of the United States has no idea about the star witness for a criminal case being anonymous."

Rather than turn on him for betraying colleagues, most of the soldiers in his unit shook his hand. It was at home where the real trouble started.

Says it all. Don't be a stoolie! Notice that his fellow MP's didn't object to what he did, just the chickenshithawks roosting at home and his psychopathic ex-friend, a willing perp.

Gee, another Plame like mistake? :roll:

An ability to see both sides of a question
one of the marks of a mature mind

People don't choose to be dishonest
the choice chooses them

Now I know how Kusinich feels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:25 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

That is some sad BS. Wonder if anyone in the Senate dare knock Rummy down for such a despicable move.

Got to feel bad for Mr. Darby because he wasn't even received well in his own hometown.

Quote:
Darby is scheduled to leave the Army and the Reserves, after eight years of duty, on Aug. 31. He no longer lives in his hometown of Cumberland, Md., where "a lot of people up there view me as a traitor. Even some of my family members think I'm a traitor."

He said he has returned home only twice, for a wedding and his mother's funeral.

"I'm not welcome there. People there don't look at the fact that I knew right from wrong," he said. "They look at the fact that I put an Iraqi before an American."

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.