It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subsitute Teacher Shows "Brokeback Mountain" to 12
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LAWSUIT SAYS SUBSTITUTE TEACHER SHOWED THE MOVIE "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" TO 12 YEAR OLDS

This was one completely unqualified substitute teacher if the charges stand! :shock:

CHICAGO- A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.
The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:57 am 

What in the world would the motive be to show this particular movie to 12 year olds?

Anyone know?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:11 am 

dori wrote:
What in the world would the motive be to show this particular movie to 12 year olds?

Anyone know?

I don't know what the teacher could of possibly have been thinking but I am deathly afraid of how the homophobic right will use this incident. It will be a case of another "gay agenda" indoctrination.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:20 am 

Quote:
I don't know what the teacher could of possibly have been thinking but I am deathly afraid of how the homophobic right will use this incident. It will be a case of another "gay agenda" indoctrination.

That is my fear too. That is why I wonder how in the world this teacher came to the conclusion it was okay to play an R rated movie to 12 year olds.

Is this stupidity, or is this someone trying to stir up trouble?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:37 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

12 years old. I was thinking they were still in 6th grade elementary. But I see it's the 8th grade.

What middle / high school do they have that kind of time?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you ever been in a room where a sub was filling in for the regular classroom teacher? Unless that sub was a certified teacher OR had been required to take some training for the job, you are going to see a lot of movie watching done by the students.

I've done a great deal of research into the often thankless world of substitute teaching, and I also spent over fifteen years training subs to be more effective in the classroom. I co-wrote a handbook for subs, and managed to convince our local school board not to let a substitute into the classrooms of our school system without having first taken and passed a required training program.

Most school systems require as a minimum for a substitute teacher: high school diploma (or GED) and a clear background check...nothing more. Many subs are dedicated, caring, prepared, and they do a good job, but unfortunately, many school systems prefer just a warm body filling up a slot for that particular day. My research revealed that, during a child's thirteen years in regular public school, he or she would spend the equivalent of at least one of those years with a sub.

If the teacher's absence resulted in a bad sub taking his or her place, consider the amount of learning time that was irretrievably lost.

But a sub showing an R rated film to 12 year olds? It wouldn't have been acceptable for the teacher to show an R rated film to 12 year olds. In my neck of the woods, R means "under 17 not admitted unless accompanied by parent or guardian." (Of course, I've seen movie theater ticket sellers never check out the ages of the kids buying the tickets!) Every movie I ever showed to my students during my teaching career had to be G rated, and then I had to preview it.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:47 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I can remember my subs. They were like having mini vacations from school. I think there's a problem there. They got to know how to continue on the lesson plan -- not show movies.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:59 am 
Its the same shit schools have been doing for far too long: instilling 'proper' PC principles in children, instead of leaving that to parents. No time to teach reading, writing, and arithmetic, when there is a Globalist Agenda to teach. Fucking tools.