It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your tax dollars at work
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:28 pm 

Quote:
An audit has found that the Justice Department spent more than $45 million last year on conferences set up for Justice Department divisions — including one event where caterers provided government employees with meatball appetizers costing about $5 each
In a report obtained today by ABC News, the Justice Department's Office of the Inspector General examined 10 conferences, including the 2006 COPS National Conference held at the Washington Hilton, which cost taxpayers $823,105.

One third of the conference's budget was spent on food and beverages. A further breakdown by the inspector general audit showed some pricey items at a $60,000 networking reception.

"The reception also served conference attendees several hundred Swedish meatballs and miniature pastries. With applicable service charges, each meatball cost nearly $5 and each piece of pastry cost almost $6," according to the 128-page audit. The report says the meatballs cost exactly $4.77 per unit.

The report cites meal costs at the 2005 "Community Capacity Development Office" conference at the Westin hotel in Los Angeles, showing that the government paid $37.67 per person for deli sandwich lunches, with bags of chips priced at $3.25, yogurt at $4.87, cans of soda $4.55 and bottles of water at $4.87 each. The average cost for the conference food came in at $256 per person per day.

Although some of the costs may seem a bit pricey, the inspector general said the conferences were justified.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/Story?id=3603415&page=2[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:04 am 

The conferences may have been necessary, but the costs of food was not.

This looks so much like some people are having a huge party at the expense of everyone else.

Have you ever been with someone who was applying for food stamps for their family? People on the other side of the table act as though the applicant is trying to pull the case worker's teeth out without an anesthetic. We, as a nation, look down on people who need a helping hand, yet we find it acceptable for people in power to rip us off like this?

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:20 am 

You make an excellent analogy, Dori.

Yesterday when I came across this article I was taking a break from making my grocery list and I was seriously stressing that it was equaling out to about 3 bucks a day to feed us and I couldn't manage to cut enough from the list without actually cutting all the food...anyway, I was on the verge of tears with worry and then I saw that... :evil:

Post subject: public assistance
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:20 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Your comment brought back a memory of the only time in my life I ever asked for public assistance, Dori.

The company I worked for went on strike and the union aquired food stamps for the striking members and their families. We got 40.00 a week for walking a picket line. Since we had four children to feed and $40.00 would not pay the mortgage and feed the family - we applied for the stamps.

When we went to apply we were directed to an office. We went in and the caseworker was drinking her coffee and reading her paper. She continued to drink and read. So I sat down - and in a few minutes lit a cigarette while waiting for her to acknowledge our presence.

The cigarette got her attention. She lowered her paper - and I quote -"I suppose you are here to ask for assistance"! I replied -as a matter of fact we are. She came back with, and I quote - "You can't afford food but you can buy cigarettes."

You guessed it - I was mad as a wet hen--------
I informed the case worker------------------

You have been reading your newspaper and drinking your coffee on my time. I help pay your salary and you are wasting the money I donate so you can have a job. By the way my mother bought these cigarettes for me and no I would not deprive my children for my nasty habit. Now give me the name of your boss in Cincinnati - I want to have a talk with them about your job performance.

Needless to say we got our food stamps with no further comments.