It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drugging Kids !!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:44 pm 

A superb film about one of the most noteworthy evils taking place in the US and other countries that have been subverted by the pharmaceutical industry...The daily drugging of millions of children with powerful psychoactive drugs in order to make them "easier to control."

If you have a child in your life who has been diagnosed as "ADD" or "ADHD" and told he or she must take a drug to control it, make sure you watch this important film. Their life may depend on it. Pass it on for the future of our chidren.
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/147.html

An hour and forty three minutes that are well worth your time and consideration !!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:25 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

While I don't have time to watch a video that long, I whole-heartedly agree that our children are way over medicated.

I know my children and know that how they act is normal. They would be drugged if they went to public school.

That is just one of 1,000,000,000,000 reasons we choose to homeschool.

I will (hopefully) have time to watch the video tonight after the children are in bed, the baby is asleep, the goats are milked, the chickens and turkeys are put up for the night and the shotgun is set up for the coyotes tonight. (They will NOT eat any more of our dinner. :evil: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:09 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Quote:
They would be drugged if they went to public school.

I teach in the public school and we do NOT promote drugging kids. I get sooooooo tired of hearing it. If parents CHOOSE to drug kids because they cannot control them, it is their choice, not the schools.

I have been asked my opinion about certain students before (from parents). Most of the time I am against it because ADD and ADHD CAN be controlled through diet. I am the parent of a son who was out of control and diagnosed with ADHD. He could not have red or yellow food coloring or processed sugar. I had to make foods from scratch, but it got him under control. He didn't want to be hyper and he did want to learn.

It the parents do not want to watch what their kids are eating and try to control it (plus use some parenting skills) - how are we supposed to teach with "out of control, bouncing off the walls" kids in the classroom? What about the kids who are doing what they are supposed to while the "out of control" kids steal their education?

Dr. Phil summed it up one day. He said, "Some days for teachers... it is like stomping ants. They are all over the place and you can't get them all."

I have had days like that. Heck, I have had whole school years where every day was like that. Some are better than others. I still love the kids. They didn't pick their parents.

CORPORATE MEDIA = MASS MIND CONTROL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mrs. Hoppes wrote:
Quote:
They would be drugged if they went to public school.

I, too, get so TIRED of reading /hearing those words! :roll: It's NOT the public school's responsibility to PRESCRIBE medication for any child. Who the heck told you that? Somebody is about as ignorant as the day is long!

Sadie and I are public school teachers of long experience. We KNOW what's what when it comes to public schools!

Quote:
Teachers don't talk parents into giving their children drugs...for any reason.

Within the school environment, there are many types of tests administered which help all who are involved with the education of a child plan the best educational program for him or her. It's rather like a doctor administering diagnostic tests to determine what's wrong with a patient.

Diagnostic behavioral tests are always adminstered by a physician after the teacher, the school counselor, and the parent fill out extensive questionaires about what behavior the child has demonstrated within the home and the school. After the questionaires are scored, the parent is then given the results, perhaps with a recommendation for him or her to take the results to his or her family doctor for further consultation/evaluation.

If the family's doctor thinks the child would benefit from taking a medicine that would help him or her concentrate and remain calm for a period of time so learning can take place, the doctor is the one who recommends it to the parents...not the teacher. Perhaps the teacher will be required to give the medicine to the child once he or she has a prescription, but even then there is extensive paper work to be done, and the teacher has to give the meds with a reliable witness present, and keep a log indicating the meds given, how much, when, and who was witness

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6035

(The referenced thread was begun by a conservative flamer who is no longer allowed to post at TVNL, although he tries to come back from time to time under a variety of usernames. I know immediately when he's on the site, regardless of disguise.)

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:59 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Allow me to rephrase then.

The public school system here which encourages "social promotion," is on academic watch, is seeped in drugs, violence, sex, poor blue collar workers, farmers, and meth makers push adhd drugs on any student who fidgits.

There are also lots of people who do evaluations on students to label them on the autism spectrum to get more funding regardless of whether or not the diagnosis is accurate. Buildings are old. Some don't meet code anymore. And the extra money? $980,000?

Astro-turf.
http://mywabashvalley.com/content/fulltext/?cid=4105
http://mywabashvalley.com/content/fulltext/?cid=3614

http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearch/l ... 22409.html
http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearch/l ... 35411.html

So while there are some wonderful schools out there where teachers are dedicated, they do not exist in Vigo County, Indiana.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:26 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Schools on Academic Probation

You can test and test all you want. NCLB has put schools in "ranks" and the only thing these ranks tell you is the socioeconomic status of a school, and nothing more.

Children who come to school hungry or under-nourished , who have little or no medical attention, teeth with cavities, and poor living conditions will ALWAYS score lower than more affluent schools. That is a fact.

You just can't get people to understand that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sadie wrote:
Quote:
Children who come to school hungry or under-nourished , who have little or no medical attention, teeth with cavities, and poor living conditions will ALWAYS score lower than more affluent schools. That is a fact.

Sometimes, I think there should be a license requirement before people are allowed to have children...with renewal at least every other year, having to take required parenting classes...rather like we have to renew our drivers' license or maintain a professional license.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:57 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Much of the problem in my district is people out of work. They want better for their kids but have no job, or are making minimum wage with no medical. The whole family has problems and to pretend these kids care about a "test score" is ridiculous.

They try. They just miss so much school, or feel so bad, or have too many worries to put school and "test scores" first. We have kids who miss school to stay home and babysit so mom can work an extra shift, or so mom can take grandma to the emergency room.

It just makes me sick. Our government worrying about passing a bill against "bad ads" (Move-On's latest) but won't pass a bill giving these kids medical care.

Then our school is always in "continuous improvement" (which is considered low) based on these test scores. Since we don't "live up to" the expectations of NCLB we get federal funds taken away.

Another example of Reverse Robin Hood. Take from the poor and give to the rich. I don't see how any of these politicians look themselves in the mirror. There can be no conscience (there would have to be a heart and a brain).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:54 pm 

Mrs. Hoppes wrote:
Allow me to rephrase then.

The public school system here which encourages "social promotion," is on academic watch, is seeped in drugs, violence, sex, poor blue collar workers, farmers, and meth makers push adhd drugs on any student who fidgits.

There are also lots of people who do evaluations on students to label them on the autism spectrum to get more funding regardless of whether or not the diagnosis is accurate. Buildings are old. Some don't meet code anymore. And the extra money? $980,000?

Astro-turf.
http://mywabashvalley.com/content/fulltext/?cid=4105
http://mywabashvalley.com/content/fulltext/?cid=3614

http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearch/l ... 22409.html
http://www.tribstar.com/archivesearch/l ... 35411.html

So while there are some wonderful schools out there where teachers are dedicated, they do not exist in Vigo County, Indiana.

I read these articles and didn't see much at all to suggest that the statements you make are accurate at all. Where do these articles show that "public school system here which encourages "social promotion," is on academic watch, is seeped in drugs, violence, sex, poor blue collar workers, farmers, and meth makers push adhd drugs on any student who fidgits" is anywhere near accurate.

I think that homeschooling children, if you are capable and have enough personal knowledge and education to do so correctly and to the extent the children deserve, is a great thing. I've considered homeschooling my son several times, but haven't committed to the idea myself. BUT if I were to do so, I wouldn't justify it by completely blasting the schools here. They aren't perfect, I work in them everyday, but they aren't hell holes and I promise you, we DO NOT push parents to medicate their children. In fact, every time I find out one of my kids is on meds, it makes me sad and I've even cried over it when the kids aren't around because it hurts me to see the changes the drugs cause.

I guess my point is if you don't want your children to go to public schools, fine. BUT don't make it out to say that public schools are so horrible that you have no choice. The schools aren't that bad, believe me. I looked at the demographic data for some of the schools listed in that last article and the 2 great schools are in predominately white, upper middle class towns with TINY populations...which would equate to (I'm making an educated guess here) small classes, plenty of tax money to pay for top of the line everything, and involved parents. Whereas the "poor" schools are in poorer areas, aren't predominately white upper middle class areas and aren't rich areas. It makes a big difference. Another thing you really should consider is that GEORGE BUSH created the rules on what is considered passing and what is considered failing and he certainly isn't anywhere near a role model for what is an acceptable education. NCLB is a stupid law. It puts kids into cookie cutter ideals that they will never fit into. Kids are different from person to person. Some kids learn quickly, some learn slowly. Some will take a LOT longer to learn, and some won't. Doesn't mean the kids are stupid, doesn't mean the teachers have failed, just means that the kids are NORMAL and can't be classified like rocks. So the failures that you are pointing out are failures according to a stupid law that doesn't take any environmental factors into account. Arg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Public schools aren't perfect, but they're doing a darn good job in spite of conservative agendas lined up with the most ignorant president to ever live in the White House. Consider:

Quote:
Despite all the hand-wringing in some quarters about the sorry state of public education, America can and should be very proud of its schools. Today, dropout rates are lower than ever; students in the 4th and 8th grades are scoring higher than ever on the reading and math portions of the National Assessment of Educational Progress; SAT scores have trended steadily upwards since the 1970s; and more students than ever are going on to post-secondary education.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 48.2 million students will walk through the doors of American schools this year -- that's over 48 million young people with incredibly diverse backgrounds and abilities. The figures indicate the breadth of diversity: 7.9 percent are English language learners; 13.3 percent are special needs children; 36.6 percent are eligible for free or reduced-price lunches. No other nation on earth attempts to educate all of its children to the extent that America does – not Japan, where only a tiny minority of students attend university, not Germany, where students are rigorously separated at an early age into career tracks, not Korea, where the population is virtually homogeneous. Americans expect every child to have a solid K-12 education and access to a post-secondary education if he or she so chooses.

So where does the notion that American kids aren’t doing well come from? Well…to some extent it comes from individuals who favor privatizing public education and creating a marketplace where schools compete for students. It is not to the advantage of the privatizers to admit that schools are doing well – it ruins their argument. Having said that, however, it is also true that there are schools in the United States that don’t measure up and there are students at the bottom of the achievement scale. Let’s look at the reasons behind this.

According to education analysts, the United States has both one of the top educational systems among industrialized nations and also one of the worst. Not surprisingly, the problem begins the funding. Unlike other industrialized nations and states such as Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong, which tend to both administer and fund their schools centrally, American depends heavily on local property taxes to carry most of the burden. Because of this, affluent neighborhoods have a huge advantage over low-income ones. In many cases, affluent neighborhoods spend more than three times as much per student as low-income neighborhoods in the same state. The curriculum is the same, the standards for teachers are the same, but the outcomes are often dramatically different. It seems that America has two education systems, one for the affluent, and one for the poor.

The challenges that educators face in these underfunded schools are enormous. Imagine the frustration of trying to meet state requirements with only obsolete – or even no – textbooks available. Imagine teaching children in schools overrun with rates and infested with termites, which eat not only bookshelves, but books and school records as well. Imagine pupil-teacher ratios of over 40 to 1. No wonder children who go to these schools lag behind their peers!

So what can be done to erase inequities so that all students actually have the opportunity to succeed in school? Look at some of the facts:

Seventy-five percent of our nation’s schools are either outdated or overcrowded.

Title I funding for disadvantaged students is well below the level that would provide all eligible children with Title I services.

The number of teachers leaving the profession outnumbers those entering it by 23 percent. Overall, teacher salaries are about 20 percent below the salaries of other professionals with comparable education and training.

Only 34 percent of 4th graders, 51 percent of 8th graders, and 53 percent of 12th graders report having newspapers, encyclopedias, magazines, and books at home.

The proportion of 17-year-ods who have said they read for fun at least once a week declined by 17 percent between 1984 and 1999.

As we pointed out earlier, American students are, on balance, doing very well. If America truly wants to ensure that we leave no child behind, however, our leaders must make a commitment to closing the achievement gap between poor and minority students in under-resourced schools and their more affluent counterparts

LINK

http://tvnewslies.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8698

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Standardized testing has been around WAY before Bush. I'm in my 30s and I remember taking standardized tests when I was a child.

Do I agree with the NCLB hogwash? Nope. But is was not the invention of standardized testing, social promotion, or anything else.

I don't know where you got the info for the demographics, but I live in a small town. Population 47. This town is a poor farming community. The chickens in my backyard almost match the population of this town. The cows down the road outnumber the people here.

And I never said ALL public schools were bad. I said the ones here were bad. If you read any of the comments - crud. Never mind. They've been deleted. Anyway, the comments from parents who do send their children to these schools are no different than what I was saying. If we still lived where my husband grew up, we would send the children to public school there.

I find it really sad that the schools here put more money, time, and energy into sports (and reading any of our local news will support that statement) than they do actual academics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:33 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I know standardized testing was around, because I took them. NCLB has given the government a reason to give money and take money away USING standardized test.

Tests can be a good thing to measure where a child is and what the child needs. But they are NOT good to measure a school or a district.

Some districts have more LD and MH students than others. They have to pass the test, too. Is that a fair assessment for any district?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standardized tests are very different now than they were when I first began to teach. They also carry a hell of a lot more significance for the schools financially. Schools are supposed to be FREE in America. I say that's not so anymore. Consider what it takes now for a child to start school, regardless of his grade rank. Consider what monies are spent during the school year for all kinds of things....most of it non-academic! Consider the pressures students and their teachers are under when it comes to EOGs and EOCs.

I don't think I will ever forget those big-eyed third graders on the first day of school, looking up at me and asking me if I thought they'd "pass" the End of Grade test! How horrible to be worried about something at age 8 that is almost 9 months away!

I know what Mrs. Hobbes is talking about as far as the sports influence is concerned. I used to attend basketball games when my daughter was playing. I'd look around the gym and think about how wonderful it would be if the parents would be that supportive and involved when it came to their sons' and daughters' academics!

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:38 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Very true about the sports. Our district cut the most coaches and all assistants this year. Students have to pay to play. Football $900.....

Well....a group of parents got together and raised the money for football!

Where are they when we need new books? Computers? Paper? A copier? New desks?

It is FAR more important for Johnny to play football than to get a good education.

We all know where parents priorities lie. (Not all parents - there are good ones who know what is important)