It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching the bible in US schools
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Here's another christian story that never seems to go away. The issue of teaching the bible in US schools.

For history? No way.
For literature? Eh.
For religious studies. Sorry. Constitution forbids it.

Mike Johnson: Censoring bible from classroom is unwise, unnecessary

Quote:
September 23, 2007

Contrary to widespread belief, and the predictable protest of the American Civil Liberties Union ("Caddo Parish Bible Curriculum concerns ACLU," Sept. 18), the Bible is and should be an appropriate course of study in our public schools. Because it is the most widely read, widely published, most influential book in all of history, censoring it from the classroom is as unwise as it is unnecessary.

The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly affirmed that "the Bible is worthy of study for its literary and historic qualities" when "presented objectively as part of a secular program of education." (See, e.g., Abington v. Schempp, 1963; Stone v. Graham, 1980.) The lower courts and the U.S. Department of Education have agreed: public schools can present the Bible, but not proselytize. Educate, but not indoctrinate. Teach, but not preach.

Currently, the Caddo Parish School Board is considering approval of an elective course produced by the National Council on Bible Curriculum in Public Schools (NCBCPS) that closely follows those guidelines. The course utilizes materials that have been in use in public schools in North Carolina and elsewhere for nearly 50 years.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:31 pm 

Nope. I would never let my son take a bible class...unless of course its a mythology class and taught specifically along that line of thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:16 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

Nope. My children get their biblical education at home and at church. If they went to public school, I would have my children opt out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:00 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Mrs. Hoppes wrote:
Nope. My children get their biblical education at home and at church. If they went to public school, I would have my children opt out.

Interesting. Can I ask why?

I would presume that most families would think they could educate their children better on religion than the government especially seeing as there are so many denominations and different religions out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NO..absolutely not. I'm in favor of separation of church and state.

Study the bible at church or at home...not at school.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:50 pm 
Lots to Say
Lots to Say

nygreenguy wrote:
Mrs. Hoppes wrote:

Interesting. Can I ask why?

I would presume that most families would think they could educate their children better on religion than the government especially seeing as there are so many denominations and different religions out there.

Because it is not the school's job to teach my children what they think the bible teaches. For one thing, even among Christians, there are many different beliefs. Some believe in the rapture and some don't. Some believe in once saved always saved and some don't. And on and on and on.

The schools are barely teaching the basics. Leave the moral teachings to the parents and teach academics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
But the public education system sucks!

That's your opinion and it's Mrs. Hobbes' s opinion. However, I will concede that somewhere somebody failed to teach you both how to stay on topic. The original thread was about whether or not teaching the bible should be done in public schools....now here you and Mrs. Hobbes are, bashing public education in general, which is waaaay out of the ORIGINAL context of CZ's topic.

If you can stay on the topic, which is discussing whether or not the bible should be taught in public schools, please carry on. Oherwise, see the new thread entitled "Does Public Education Suck?"

Back to the topic...a local college offered a course many years ago entitled The Bible as English Literature. I was in high school then, but a friend of mine took the course and greatly enjopyed it. I think the emphasis was more on the literary aspects of the bible instead of its religious messages. I don't recall any kind of controversy arising because it was an elective.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Last edited by Catherine on Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:30 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
Quote:
But the public education system sucks!

That's your opinion and it's Mrs. Hobbes' s opinion. However, I will concede that somewhere somebody failed to teach you both how to stay on topic. The original thread was about whether or not teaching the bible should be done in public schools....now here you and Mrs. Hobbes are, bashing public education in general, which is waaaay out of the ORIGINAL context of CZ's topic.
But isnt the teaching of the bible in public schools a direct result of its "suckiness"?

The simple fact people even read the dang thing for anything other than a good laugh is evidence enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The simple fact people even read the dang thing for anything other than a good laugh is evidence enough.

Well, since you put it like that, maybe it should be taught...perhaps it should be included among books by Dr. Seuss, Beverly Cleary, Shel Silverstein, Ned Vizzini, and J, K. Rowling! :lol:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:

Well, since you put it like that, maybe it should be taught...perhaps it should be included among books by Dr. Seuss, Beverly Cleary, Shel Silverstein, Ned Vizzini, and J, K. Rowling! :lol:

All great works of fiction, except potter is way more believable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
except potter is way more believable

:laughing5:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Catherine wrote:
NO..absolutely not. I'm in favor of separation of church and state.

Study the bible at church or at home...not at school.

And preferably the RSV, if not an Anchor bible book.

But if you're still reading some form of King James version -- shame on you, evangelicals.

The problem with teaching the bible in school, is that many people aren't qualified to teach it.

And who the heck are you going to get to teach it without all the literalism and bullcrap, conservative dogma?

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Somebody ought to tell the evangelicals about King James's penchant for men and boys! :P

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman