It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christian nation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:17 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Found this blogger to be reporting on something the rest of the US media to be gleefully reporting.

It's one of those subjects that get trite to put on a message board, but this issue keeps being put out that America is a cHristian nation and that fundementalist cHristians want to solidify it by law this way.

The U.S Constitution Establishes a Christian Nation and Other Insanity.
Quote:
By Fallon - Posted on September 18th, 2007

The First Amendment Center recently released the results of their "State of the First Amendment 2007"survey and I'm a little disappointed with the entire thing.

For instance, question one of the survey says...

As you may know, the First Amendment is part of the U.S. Constitution. Can you name any of the specific rights that are guaranteed by the First Amendment?

Sixteen percent of respondents could name "Freedom of the press," 64% could name "Freedom of speech," 19% could name "Freedom of religion," 3% knew the "Right to petition," 16% could name "Right of assembly/association and 29% didn't know or refused to answer.

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's FAUX supporting that insanity, CZ! What nonsense!

Fox: Left 'has always disliked the concept of Christianity'

Fox News is currently expressing indignation over a gay block party in San Francisco that is using a leather-bar parody of the Last Supper in its advertising.

Over the headings "War on Christians" and "Anti-Christian Crusade," Fox spoke to radio shock jock "Mancow" Muller about the ad. "What a disgrace," Mancow told Fox. "Can you imagine if, let's say, your local Baptist Church did something that parodied the gay community? It would be the end of the world."

"This is a small part of a big, huge attack by the left on Christianity, which has always disliked the concept of Christianity, " complained Fox host Andrew Napolitano. "When these things are out there, nobody complains about them except maybe on a talk show like us. Why not?"

"It's a huge cultural battle going on," explained Mancow, contrasting Mad TV, Joni Mitchell, Sinead O'Connor, and Kathy Griffin with his own refusal to make fun of any religion except Islam. "I don't make fun of religion. I don't think you go there. I don't believe the Islamofascists -- that's not a religion, that's a weird thing going on there, so that's different."

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:17 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:29 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

And then there's John McCain who tortures himself regularly into thinking he'd make a good president. So, he panders to the religious right with his comment that the US is a christian nation.
Quote:
A recent poll found that 55 percent of Americans believe the U.S. Constitution establishes a Christian nation. What do you think?

I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation. But I say that in the broadest sense. The lady that holds her lamp beside the golden door doesn't say, “I only welcome Christians.” We welcome the poor, the tired, the huddled masses. But when they come here they know that they are in a nation founded on Christian principles.

So, the question was posed on Bernie Ward's God Talk show on KGO: If that is the case, John, define five things that make this country such?

If Johnny's the kind of christian I believe him to be, he'll mention the wrong things, and nothing principled on Jesus teachings about humaneness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:31 pm 

I'd be interested in knowing how many American 'Christians' are aware of Jesus teachings about humaneness, or anything principled for that matter.

I am being flooded by 'Christian' emails promoting hatered of Muslims. I ALWAYS send a reply to messages like that, so have been busy looking up pictures of the KKK and asking if they represent the senders Christian beliefs.

I wonder why I don't have many friends anymore???

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:45 pm 
Hear Me Roar!

dori wrote:
I'd be interested in knowing how many American 'Christians' are aware of Jesus teachings about humaneness, or anything principled for that matter.

I am being flooded by 'Christian' emails promoting hatered of Muslims. I ALWAYS send a reply to messages like that, so have been busy looking up pictures of the KKK and asking if they represent the senders Christian beliefs.

I wonder why I don't have many friends anymore???

Tell these guys.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:08 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

dori wrote:

Makes me wonder too. If they're allowing themselves to be spoon fed like so many churches, then their probably reading the same old selected verses from Romans and Mark and Genesis and such.

I've witnessed more slight references to the bible and big out-of-context speeches to these references, then whole chapter discussions.

Makes you wonder if they should call themselves christians or crustaceans (for their inability to see beyond the shells they hide out of).

In some sense, it's so formulaic. The same old tired verses come-out to address some current event and the same tired interpretation as well.

Bernie's Sunday show link is up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:01 pm 

right wing christians (an oxymoron if i ever heard one) are by and large also one of the most ignorant and totally uninformed goups of groups who have failed miserably to study even a sliver of american history.

for one thing, just consider the religious doctrinal fauxpas in which it is well documented that many of our founders and constitutional crafters were in fact members of the order of masons. according to christian doctrine those who belong to the masonic order belong to a group that is intimately connected to the occult. yet christian leaders either ignore this problematic fact of history or are mostly ignoant of these historical facts.

gods word clearly says that you cannot serve 2 different masters but repuglicans and the socalled moral majority wing of thier party base are totally dumbfounded when you call these facts to thier attention. i know this personally when i have occasional discussions with my father and other members of my family. they usually end up changing the subject or opt out of the discussion alltogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:05 am 

Moderator there eh, NYGG. How do you like it there?

CZ--"Makes you wonder if they should call themselves christians or crustaceans (for their inability to see beyond the shells they hide out of)."

Love that picture. I know truly wonderful religious people, but they are not the majority. I guess for some it is just comfortable to say the term.

Rooster--"right wing christians (an oxymoron if i ever heard one) are by and large also one of the most ignorant and totally uninformed goups of groups who have failed miserably to study even a sliver of american history."

Oxymoron indeed! Classic example of the term. And uninformed about history is an understatement. Actually, uninformed and misinformed. Faux people all the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

CHECK OUT THIS SITE:

INTERNET INFIDELS

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:28 am 

That is very interesting Catherine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 am 
Hear Me Roar!

Catherine wrote:
CHECK OUT THIS SITE:

INTERNET INFIDELS

Ive been a member of IIDB for a while now.

They actually helped deconvert me.

Quote:
Moderator there eh, NYGG. How do you like it there?

Like it? eehhh...its ok.

They needed an atheist to be a fair moderator.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:24 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

rooster wrote:
right wing christians (an oxymoron if i ever heard one) are by and large also one of the most ignorant and totally uninformed goups of groups who have failed miserably to study even a sliver of american history.

for one thing, just consider the religious doctrinal fauxpas in which it is well documented that many of our founders and constitutional crafters were in fact members of the order of masons.

George Washington, the Father of our country, and John Adams (Second President of the USA) CLEARLY stated in the 1796 Treaty of Tripoli: "The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion.”

James Madison, original mastermind of our Constitution, was an Atheist to the core who loved skewering Christianity. In 1785 he wrote, "What have been [Christianity’s] fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.”

Thomas Jefferson, who sat down and authored The Declaration of Independence, rarely missed an opportunity to laugh at Christianity. In a letter to John Adams in 1823, he wrote: "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus…will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

More ammo: In 1814, Tommy J. wrote about the Bible's Old and New Testaments, "The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful -- evidence that parts have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds.”

In fact, it was President Jefferson himself who first wrote (to a Baptist church group in 1802), "The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between Church and State." Therefore, when Jefferson talked about “Nature’s God,” the “Creator” and “divine Providence ” in the Declaration that he wrote, he was being a hippie and referring to a general cosmic energy-- not the Christian God.

http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/Main ... outAmerica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Constitution is founded on "WE, the PEOPLE," not on a deity. There are Christians who argue that the reference to "year of our lord" points to a god. According to Dan Barker, of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, "anno domini" originally referred to Lord Caesar. The phrase appears outside the body of the Constitution, and was conventional usage for the Christian calendar. It no more acknowledges Jesus than the use of "Thursday" requires worshop of Thor."

Reference: Dan Barker writing in Losing Faith in Faith.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:11 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

In my reading, there's enough to believe that the people that came over here were all-over-the-board with their christian beliefs. And they didn't necessarily like the other's religion.

I think that's one of the reasons they wanted to keep religion out of government. If you were an X, why the heck would you want a Y to dictate how the laws are administered from the Y religious perspective. And the same might go when the balance of power shifts to a Z.

I think the "founding fathers" were smart enough to know that they couldn't trust each other's religion.