It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragonflies, or mechanical means to spy on crowds?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:24 am 

Tom Dispatch

How can we understand our world, if we have hardly a clue about the mini-worlds where planning for our future takes place? Just the other day, the Washington Post had one of the odder reports of the year. According to journalist Rick Weiss, demonstrators at protests in Washington DC and elsewhere have been independently reporting large "dragonflies" (with a bizarre "row of spheres, the size of small berries, attached along the tails") hovering near their rallies. ("'I'd never seen anything like it in my life,' the Washington lawyer said. 'They were large for dragonflies. I thought, is that mechanical, or is that alive?'")

Comic books always thought of things years before they were actually manufactured. If we don't have 'spy bugs' yet, they are in the offing.

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:51 pm 
These floating cameras disguised as insects have appeared on numerous Discovery-style documentaries in recent years. I suppose anyone who doesn't believe certain cells of terror within our own government would spy on us -- or, God forbid, kill us -- should participate in a public demonstration and see for themselves.

Quote:
Dragonfly or Insect Spy? Scientists at Work on Robobugs.

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 9, 2007; Page A03

Vanessa Alarcon saw them while working at an antiwar rally in Lafayette Square last month.

"I heard someone say, 'Oh my god, look at those,' " the college senior from New York recalled. "I look up and I'm like, 'What the hell is that?' They looked kind of like dragonflies or little helicopters. But I mean, those are not insects."

Out in the crowd, Bernard Crane saw them, too.

"I'd never seen anything like it in my life," the Washington lawyer said. "They were large for dragonflies. I thought, 'Is that mechanical, or is that alive?' "

That is just one of the questions hovering over a handful of similar sightings at political events in Washington and New York. Some suspect the insectlike drones are high-tech surveillance tools, perhaps deployed by the Department of Homeland Security.

ARTICLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:23 pm 

Spying can be a very useful tool in combating crime. weather it's cameras on your street corner or flying insects. As long as they stay out of my house and only in the common areas of town I'm %100 for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:07 pm 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

jen157 wrote:
Spying can be a very useful tool in combating crime. weather it's cameras on your street corner or flying insects. As long as they stay out of my house and only in the common areas of town I'm %100 for it.

How will you know whether they are in your house?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:02 pm 

jen157 wrote:

This argument basically is—as long as I'm not the target then it is okay to spy on everyone else OR I have nothing to hide, so go for it. The fallacy here is you have everything to lose including all your civil liberties. Thinking crime will be prevented because it is observed is naivety at its worst. Banks and retail stores have near universal surveillance yet bank robberies and shoplifting continue unabated. The surveillance does nothing to combat crime, it merely helps in a limited number of cases prosecuting crime after the fact. The freedom to assemble means just that; I should be able to assemble and protest without worrying who might be keeping a list or video record of the protestors.

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:20 pm 

Amen, A Proud Liberal!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid