It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

HAPPY REAL COLUMBUS DAY!

Whatever you believe about Christopher Columbus (and most of what we were taught in school about him is hogwash), today is the original Columbus Day...October 12.

I hope you enjoy it and try to learn more about Columbus. He was a remarkable human being.

MYTHS AND FACTS ABOUT COLUMBUS

As always, please chime in with your own impression of Columbus. History Corner is also a discussion forum...not just an information source. APL does a great job of keeping it updated! :D

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime."
Honore de Balzac

"Democrats work to help people who need help.
That other party, they work for people who don't need help.
That's all there is to it."

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 am 
SuperMember!
SuperMember!

I spent it doing fixer-up stuff. Felt productive. 8)

I haven't used this screen name elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:35 am 

I grew up being told that Columbus was the best example of the Italian that done good. My mother was of 100% Italian heritage and her parents and grandmother (my grandfather and both of my grandmother's parents were born in Italy) lived with the family while I grew up. Reality has set in and tarnished this point of view. He actively supported the enslavement of the indigenous people of the New World and approved the genocide of some tribes when they refused to acquiesce to enslavement and / or conversion. Columbus lived during the time of the Inquisition and actively supported their anti-Semitic activities. The Knights of Columbus was founded on the premises that the actions of Columbus and the Inquisition were of some higher calling.

An accurate clock was all he needed not to be so screwed up about the size of Earth; this would not come for another 150-200 years. He was incapable of learning from past errors and that's how Native Americans ended up being called "Indians."

A Proud Liberal...This Day in History...Namnesia Antidote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:16 am 

Hmm, our token Democrat in this area is a proud member of the Knights of Columbus.

Who is it that wrote the book about the people's histroy of the United States...he brings us an America we don't want to look at. History from the losers viewpoint. Columbus didn't come off well in that book at all!

It is hard to hear viewpoints we don't want to believe. I used to believe the Scotch (my heritage) were exaulted people. They aren't! Rude, crude and dangerous.

We are who we are. Not having an unbelievable symbol to guide us doesn't make our own efforts any less important. Life is a struggle. Those who manage to care about the other guy as well as himslef are people to be admired, period!

Libertarianism Makes You Stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:04 pm 

dori wrote:
Who is it that wrote the book about the people's history of the United States...he brings us an America we don't want to look at. History from the losers viewpoint. Columbus didn't come off well in that book at all!

That would be Howard Zinn. He is despised by a lot of his peers for having the audacity to recount history of the point of view of those it was DONE TO instead of done by. I much prefer these labels to winners and losers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am very surprised that Mr. Zinn actually found enough evidence to write a history of what was done to which group of people. (A great book that looks at the Battle of Little Bighorn from the perspective of the native Americans is Little Bighorn Remembered by Herman Viola)

Can you imagine what it will be like for historians in the future trying to find out exactly what it was Bush said and when he said it? Of course, what does it matter? According to Bush, history is about as worthless as the Constitution. After all, "we'll be dead" when history judges the Bush admin.

Bush Rewrites History To Criticize His Antiwar Critics

Back to Columbus... :P

Columbus Day - As Rape Rules Africa and American Churches Embrace Violent ‘Christian’ Video Games

Columbus would approve of today's meshing of politics and religion. :evil:

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:33 am 

I like APL's done to and done by better than winners and losers too. The 'done by' people generally have far better resources to work with--and little if any conscience.

The 'done to' many times have big hearts and work together, expecting new people to do the same. Work for good that is. The new people only work for themselves.

So much for Columbus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that what comes closer to the truth about historical figures like Columbus will be taught in public schools instead of the same old myths.

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:58 am 

I wish so too Catherine, but unfortunately for many in the states, that would be like spitting on the flag.

We do love our myths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:48 am 

If you have a few minutes, I really suggest reading the article that Catherine posted the link to above, it is an incredible article and well worth the time:
Columbus Day - As Rape Rules Africa and American Churches Embrace Violent ‘Christian’ Video Games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:05 pm 

Another Link to Catherine's Referenced Article

Quote:
. . . While Columbus once referred to the Taino Indians as cannibals, a story made up by Columbus - which is to this day still taught in some US schools - to help justify his slaughter and enslavement of these people. He wrote to the Spanish monarchs in 1493: “It is possible, with the name of the Holy Trinity, to sell all the slaves which it is possible to sell…Here there are so many of these slaves, and also brazilwood, that although they are living things they are as good as gold…”

Columbus and his men also used the Taino as sex slaves: it was a common reward for Columbus’ men for him to present them with local women to rape. As he began exporting Taino as slaves to other parts of the world, the sex-slave trade became an important part of the business, as Columbus wrote to a friend in 1500: “A hundred castellanoes (a Spanish coin) are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten (years old) are now in demand.”. . .

. . . Dr. Jack Forbes, Professor of Native American Studies at the University of California at Davis and author of the brilliant book “Columbus and Other Cannibals,” uses the Native American word wétiko (pronounced WET-ee-ko) to describe the collection of beliefs that would produce behavior like that of Columbus. Wétiko literally means “cannibal,” and Forbes uses it quite intentionally to describe these standards of culture: we “eat” (consume) other humans by destroying them, destroying their lands, taking their natural resources, and consuming their life-force by enslaving them either physically or economically. The story of Columbus and the Taino is just one example.

We live in a culture that includes the principle that if somebody else has something we need, and they won’t give it to us, and we have the means to kill them to get it, it’s not unreasonable to go get it, using whatever force we need to. . . .

Article was written by Thom Hartmann, one of the few good guys of talk radio. I thought that by excerpting a few paragraphs it would encourage some to actually go read it. Remember, this is the same thinking that leads us to continue the war crimes that are the occupation of Iraq.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
We live in a culture that includes the principle that if somebody else has something we need, and they won’t give it to us, and we have the means to kill them to get it, it’s not unreasonable to go get it, using whatever force we need to. .

That is because far too many Americans feel so superior as the "last remaining Super Power." It's a sense of entitlement...we're AMERICANS! We're BETTER, STRONGER, SMARTER, NASTIER, and we'll BOMB YOU TO KINGDOM COME IF YOU DON'T DO AS WE SAY...now give us your lunch money."

Spain was a very powerful nation during Columbus's time and his bringing back to Spain much wealth from the New World only made them more powerful.
Quote:
The Catholic Monarchs
Isabel and Ferdinand succeeded in uniting the whole country under their crown, and their effort to "re-christianize" Spain resulted in the Spanish Inquisition, when thousands of Jews and Moors who didn't want to convert to Christianism were expelled or killed.
After the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus in 1492 tons of gold and silver were brought in from the new continent, and Spain became one of the most powerful nations of this epoch called the Golden Age

http://www.red2000.com/spain/primer/hist.html

Honore de Balzac

~Harry S. Truman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 am 

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...